VHS tape to WMV

Anybody know the best way to transfer VHS to WMV? I found a 40 year old movie of me riding a unicycle (it was transferred to VHS tape) and I want to DL it to my computer as a WMV file so I can edit it and then post it. It’s pretty funny and from 1966…and in color! I have no idea what brand of uni I had, but it had a whitewall tire and a white seat. I guess my schwinn came a couple years later. Cool. :sunglasses:

haha, nice

i guess if you installed a TV card you could play it though that,

i dont know any other way

We have a device that captures VHS off of our video camera, and converts it to digital. I’m looking at it right now, I think the brand is ADS Tech, and it’s called DVD Xpress. I just used it to upload a bunch of footage. It just has those red, yellow and white cords, you could hook it up to a VCR player. Or, you could just record it to a DVD if you have one of those DVD/VCR combos.

I did try simply taping it off the tv with my vidcam, but you get those unsightly “rolling bars” which suck! :astonished:

some camcorders have an AV input or somthing, for headcams and the like

so if yours has one of them you could probibly get the correct lead and plug it in to that, click record and your off

Analog to digital

Turtle Beach sells the gadget you need. Go to http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/videocapture/vidusb/producthome.asp. I have one and it does a decent job. Too bad you’re in California. I could do it for you and save you the cost.

Thanks for the tip! But I think I might first try the suggestion of the post just before yours. My minicam does have an avi input, so maybe all I need to get is the correct patch cable that will go from my vhs player tothe avi ofmy vidcam, then just record it directly from the source. I’m off to radio shack to check it out. Thanks!

Re: VHS tape to WMV

MuniAddict enlightened us with:
> Anybody know the best way to transfer VHS to WMV?

I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 running on an Ubuntu Linux box. All I
have to do is hook up the VCR with a SCART cable, and read from the
card to get an MPEG2 stream. After that, it’s quickly converted to any
format you want.

If you want to stay open, stay away from WMV and try something like
MPEG4 or even better Ogg Theora.

Sybren

The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa

Well I just found out that the RCA to AVI only records data from my camera to my VHS, and not the reverse. :angry:

The guy at radio shack also told me to try “tigerdirect.com” and get the rca to usb so I can go directly from VHS to my computer. He’s just not sure if I will be able to convert it to wmv, or a format that is editable with win xp moviemaker. This seems pretty complicated!

There is a program called ‘SUPER’ and it is a program that will convert anything to anything. Try that out. -=p

Thanks I’ll check on it. This looks like it would do the trick: Banana Plugs | Flex Pin Connectors | Speaker Wire - Sewell — Sewell Direct

I can do it…

MPEG4 is the most universal.A couple of years ago, I spent way too much time trying to play an Ogg Theora video and finally gave up.
Perhaps this has improved.

I have this standalone Sony converter box that takes composite or s-video in and spits out DV (don’t recall the model number offhand).
I could convert the tape if you’d like.

–Tom

hardware encoder

Most of these cards depend on the host CPU to do the video conversion. Some cards have onboard video compression hardware and the conversion happens on the card. The higher end Happauge cards (and lots of others) do this.

For the Mac, there are the ElGato converter/tuner boxes with hardware compression that connect via USB or Firewire :

Weren’t we going to start a separate video forum?

–Tom

gkmac enlightened us with:
> Are you really saying that the -card- converts the incoming video to
> MPEG2 -before- delivering it to the computer? I’ve never heard of
> that before!

You’ve got that right. All I do for a recording is:

dd if=/dev/video0 of=somefile.mpg

Due to the MPEG2 compression, I can make high-quality recordings of
video tapes or television shows at hardly any CPU usage.

> My weapon is some old Hauppauge card made about the year 2000. I’ve
> only used it once so far, to make a DVD of an old TV recording that
> I taped on a VHS machine in 1988 lasting 1 hour 40 minutes. I used
> mplayer to capture the uncompressed stream to my hard drive taking
> up some eighty gigabytes, then used mjpegtools to make that into
> MPEG2. My Athlon XP 2000+ PC (which probably isn’t fast compared to
> today’s off the shelf PCs) took just over six hours to do it!

Long live dedicated hardware :slight_smile:

> I don’t think I’d recommend Ogg Theora just yet as it’s still alpha

True, but it already works very nicely.

> but XviD (an MPEG4 codec) is the one I use and recommend.

I use it a lot too. I’m still waiting for a standalone DVD player that
can do Ogg Theora and Matroska though :wink:

Sybren

Frank Zappa

There are a number of options to capture VHS video to the computer.

If you have a DV camcorder that has analog inputs you can play the VHS tape through the analog inputs. Set the DV camcorder to record that. Then transfer the DV file to the computer as normal. Some DV camcorders can passthrough the analog input directly to the firewire and you can skip the step of actually recording the analog input to DV tape.

You can use a DVD recorder to record from a VHS machine. That will get the video on a recordable DVD. Then rip the DVD on the computer to extract the video and the audio. Then use some software to convert the ripped file to a more useful format for editing (WMV, AVI, whatever).

A third option is to use one of the many video capture devices that connect to a USB port. There are many different ones available. Some are better than others. Read reviews. Some are spectacularly poor at capturing video at a decent quality. Make sure it can capture at at least a resolution of 640x480 and 29.967 fps is better than ones that capture at lower resolutions.

Then once you get the video captured to the computer you may have to deal with deinterlacing (depending on how the video was captured). Some video editing programs can do deinterlacing. Here’s another guide on deinterlacing. The guide makes things a bit more complicated than they need to be, but it does a good job of demonstrating what interlacing and deinterlacing is.

Unfortunately, my dv minicam (as well as most I’m told) will not record from vcr to minicam-only minicam to vcr. But what I find strange, is that I can use my firewire cable to upload my minicam data directly to XP moviemaker for editing, but can’t do the same thing (albeit with an rca out for the vcr) with my vcr to moviemaker. :thinking:

It’s not strange that your VCR cannot set video directly to XP Movie Maker. It requires an analog to digital conversion. VCRs don’t know digital. It’s a whole different world.

If you only want to transfer that one video from VHS it doesn’t make sense to spend $100 or more on a piece of computer hardware to capture the video. It would make more sense to borrow or rent a DV cam that can take an analog input from the VCR and record it to DV tape (or passtrought the video input directly to the firewire). If you’re already familiar with dealing with transferring DV video from a camera to a computer that would be the way to go because you’ll be dealing with a process that is similar to what you already know.

Following on from John, why not take it to a retailer that can do it for you? most film processing labs or camera shop would have someone that they can refer you to if they can’t do it themselves.

mikepenton enlightened us with:
> Following on from John, why not take it to a retailer that can do it
> for you? most film processing labs or camera shop would have someone
> that they can refer you to if they can’t do it themselves.

If you live near Amsterdam, pay me a visit and I’ll do it for you :slight_smile:

Sybren

Frank Zappa