Velo seat 1st impression

I bought a velo seat from my local cycle shop (Super Cycles, Nottingham) at the weekend. £25 (ex display.) he will have others in soon.

It’s the one with no projecting front handle - just a ridge on the bottom of the front bumper, same as a Viscount.

It is shorter and feels wider than the Viscount. Build quality seems good.

It fits to the same seat post as a Viscount. 4 bolts with decorative chromed and domed nuts. Unfortunately, the threads are too long and popped out through the domes. (I could have sawn the threads, of course.)

It is much deeper than a Viscount. So much so that I had to drop the seat post quite a distance to get a comfortable position. If I had not already cut a bit off the seat post, I might have had to do so. This depends on the combination of post, frame, crank and inside leg, but bear it in mind if your post is at its lowest position.

Mounting feels a bit strange. I always hold the front of the seat when mounting the Coker. There is a lot to grip because the seat is so thick. The seat is also a bit ‘snub nosed’ so mounting can be a bit crowded with fingers and genitals and that.

Riding: very subjective. I think a heavily built person might find that they have difficulty gripping the seat front, compared to the longer Viscount. Adjusting the seat up and down, forward and back and rake will make some difference. On the whole, though, I felt that it was more comfortable in the crotch, but not as comfortable on the ‘sit bones’.

Also, because it’s so chunky, and has fabric sides, it did feel a bit like it was chafing. Some of this will be simply because I’m used to a smooth Viscount saddle.

Not bad value, though.

Nottingham – isn’t that where that Sheriff lives who hates the poor and bow hunters?

In Nottingham? Now? Already?

My muni seat is looking like it needs replacing. Hmmm…

Phil, just me

Re: Velo seat 1st impression

Super Cycles has moved haven’t they, where are they now? Did they have an Onza in the showrrom as I understand they are selling it.

Thanks for your review Mike, which of your uni’s did you try it on?

Cheers, Gary

Super Cycles are now at the bottom end of Carlton Hill Road, on the left as you’re travelling away from Nottingham. Further up than tennants Plastics, not as far up as the big Co-Op. Aprroximately opposite the park/playing field.

It is the most disorganised shop in the world. About a dozen staff all running around like flies with blue bottoms, taking half an hour to sell a pair of pedals.

The seat I bought was a ‘sample’ and I got (allegedly) a ‘good deal’.

He alleges he will have a crate of 50 velo seats in in the next couple of weeks.

He alleges he’s sold 50 unicycles in the last few weeks.

I saw the Onza. Looks suspiciously like a Nimbus II frame pained matt black. Big chunky wheel with a tractor tyre. Cheap seat fitted. ) They also had crummy low spec unicycles in at one time… and they had Kris Holm seats!

P.S. The Velo seat is on the Coker, since you ask. :0)

Re: Velo seat 1st impression

Super Cycles IS Onza

So they is right when he says he has sold 50 unicycles in the last few
weeks, I know :wink:

Although the shop is disorganised, it is a fun place. I can offer only
praise for their forward looking attitude towards what is a new venture for
them. As a business they are pleasure to work with.

The Onza frame might look like the nimbus II frame it is worth nothing that
it is actually CrMo.

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
From: “Mikefule” <Mikefule.bu72c@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: Velo seat 1st impression

>
> Super Cycles are now at the bottom end of Carlton Hill Road, on the left
> as you’re travelling away from Nottingham. Further up than tennants
> Plastics, not as far up as the big Co-Op. Aprroximately opposite the
> park/playing field.
>
> It is the most disorganised shop in the world. About a dozen staff all
> running around like flies with blue bottoms, taking half an hour to sell
> a pair of pedals.
>
> The seat I bought was a ‘sample’ and I got (allegedly) a ‘good deal’.
>
> He alleges he will have a crate of 50 velo seats in in the next couple
> of weeks.
>
> He alleges he’s sold 50 unicycles in the last few weeks.
>
> I saw the Onza. Looks suspiciously like a Nimbus II frame pained matt
> black. Big chunky wheel with a tractor tyre. Cheap seat fitted. )
> They also had crummy low spec unicycles in at one time… and they had
> Kris Holm seats!
>
>
> –
> Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling
>
> For all your opinion needs. No issue too small. Ask for a free no
> obligation quote - interest free.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mikefule’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20704
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

Re: Re: Velo seat 1st impression

There you go spoiling a perfectly good conspiracy theory by introducing incontrovertible facts.

I bought a bicycle from Super Cycle Discount (as they were then) in 1981. At that time, they were in an upstairs unit and had to lower customers’ purchases to the ground on a rope and pulley through an upstairs window. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for them and I have seen them grow to be a massive dealership making their own range of bikes and bits - although I didn’t know they were Onza. Nevertheless, the shop is shockingly disorganized and it can be a trying experience to buy even a simple thing like a pair of pedals.

Indeed, Sir, if I could only get your website to stop crashing my computer, I’d probably buy everything from you, instead of restricting myself to a unicycle every two months! :roll_eyes: As it is, I have to borrow a computer every time I want to buy something from you. One of life’s mysteries. :thinking: