Update on my KH seat bracket (to reduce flex)

At Motorama 2003 I showed some people a bracket I had made to attach the handle of my KH seat to the brake lever bar on the seat post. The first bracket I made from 1/16" thick, 1" X 1" aluminum angle. It worked very well but only lasted about 2 or 3 months before it started to get a stress crack and then broke. I made a replacement bracket from 1/8" aluminum and it is holding up well. I have told several people I would keep them posted on how well the bracket held up. So here is the fulfillment of that promise.

Here’s a link to a few photos in the gallery…
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album366

Everyone who has looked at it and tried it says it is very stiff. I even had one accomplished rider try it and he said the lack of flex was throwing off his timing a little. He was used to pulling a little early to compensate for the flex.

This bracket is great because it is low cost and ease to make. All I used was a hacksaw, a file and a drill. It took me about 2 hours to make and mount both brackets. When making the first bracket, I made a template from a piece of stiff paper. Cut it to size and made the holes. Then I traced the paper onto the metal and made the bracket.

The only downside to this bracket is that you can’t change your seat angle after it is on. Not a problem for me though.

Bill

That looks like a great idea. And a nifty use for the KH brake mount. I’ll think about doing something like this with one of my unicycles. I don’t have a KH seatpost, but I’d imagine that a cheap bar end would word as well.

Keep up the good work.

Daniel