Up the creak!

My Onza is once again creaking. :frowning: It’s most noticable if I turn the uni upside down and spin the wheel really slowly. It’s less noticable when I’m actually riding, and becomes progressively quieter the faster I’m riding.

Anyway, this is unlike creaks I have previously diagnosed. I guess it can’t really be the pedals or spokes, because it still happens when the wheel is being spun off the group (i.e. no force on the spokes and the pedals stationary).

That leaves the bearings, right? It definately sounds like it’s coming from the left bearing holder. Or is there something else it could be? I took off the bearing holders and had a look. Small amount of corrosion on the bearings but nothing too serious looking. (Although I’m not really experienced enough to know - perhaps there shouldn’t be ANY corrosion.) Put it all back together and the creak went for a day, then came back.

The noise is a sort of squeaky-door sound.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did have a search but didn’t find anything too useful… the web really needs a comprehensive uni-maintenance guide.

Any help much appreciated.

Jynx

off the group = off the ground
:slight_smile:

Re: Up the creak!

Jynx,

I would certainly check the crank first. As with most splined hubs the bolt
on the end of the hub seams to work loose with time and it then creaks
(movement is not normally noticed). Get an 8mm allan key and tighten it
really tight! This will almost certainly get rid of the creak. It is as
with all noises associated with unicycles, get them sorted sooner rather
than later because if it is making a noise something is wrong and generally
will get worse.

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
From: “jynxzero” <jynxzero.l9fso@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 2:23 PM
Subject: Up the creak!

>
> My Onza is once again creaking. :frowning: It’s most noticable if I turn the
> uni upside down and spin the wheel really slowly. It’s less noticable
> when I’m actually riding, and becomes progressively quieter the faster
> I’m riding.
>
> Anyway, this is unlike creaks I have previously diagnosed. I guess it
> can’t really be the pedals or spokes, because it still happens when the
> wheel is being spun off the group (i.e. no force on the spokes and the
> pedals stationary).
>
> That leaves the bearings, right? It definately sounds like it’s coming
> from the left bearing holder. Or is there something else it could be?
> I took off the bearing holders and had a look. Small amount of
> corrosion on the bearings but nothing too serious looking. (Although
> I’m not really experienced enough to know - perhaps there shouldn’t be
> ANY corrosion.) Put it all back together and the creak went for a day,
> then came back.
>
> The noise is a sort of squeaky-door sound.
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before. I did have a search but didn’t
> find anything too useful… the web really needs a comprehensive
> uni-maintenance guide.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Jynx
>
>
> –
> jynxzero - Wannabe trials rider
>
> –
> Jynx Zero
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jynxzero’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3458
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24438
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

Re: Up the creak!

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:23:25 -0600, jynxzero
<jynxzero.l9fso@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>the web really needs a comprehensive
>uni-maintenance guide.
Evilewan is building one. If he’s not asleep he might include this
thread.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"Before Ontario’s provincial parliament buildings opened in 1896, that site was home to the University Lunatic Asylum. "

Jynx,

My Onza creaked too – here’s how I fixed it:

Take off the crank, bearing, and spacers so you can see inside the hub. You should see a keyway with a key in it (duh) and in my case, a thin piece of metal that I’m guessing is in there to wedge the key tight. Put oil on everything in there liberally. Not sure if it matters what kind, but I used something really light like WD-40 or Tri-Flow. Put everything back together. Squeak instantly cured, in my case.

You may also have something loose, as suggested in another post. Be sure cranks and pedals are tight.

Good luck!

Jerry

Okay, thanks for the replies.

I bought the correct allan key to tighten the cranks. Of course, once I’d got it the creaking had disappeared.

I tightened the cranks anyway, the left bolt turned by about 90 degrees, so I guess this could have been what was causing the creak.

Out of curiosity I decided to check out Jerry’s instructions, as I’d not ever removed the cranks before. I removed a crank and spacer, but I can’t remove the bearing. Is there some trick or does it just need a bit of force?

Jynx,

Ok, maybe my memory’s failing (wouldn’t be the first time) and I didn’t remove the bearing (it’s probably pressed on). Once you got the crank and spacer off, could you see the keyway, etc? If so, then that’s all you need. Just oil it all thoroughly. I do know I didn’t need any special tools to disassemble things. Just the allen wrench for the crank bolt. Everything else just slid off.

If you’re still having trouble, I’ll go take mine apart again and confirm exactly what I did. Let me know.

Jerry

Right, the problem here is that I’m not so familiar with the terminology. :slight_smile: I removed the crank and spacer, which exposed the splined bit of the hub (like an extruded cog). Is that the keyway?