UnPlanned Dog Dismounts

Train a dog.

I’m sure you are right. If you aren’t willing to train your dog to behave, you shouldn’t even have a dog.

I had a little yip yip dog run in front of my tire,causing a UPDD in the beach. The owner thought it was cute, I almost thought it was a football. And if any dog bites me in the leg, you can guarantee it will meet my foot in its ribs.

UPDD Rant

Today I was riding on a local paved mixed use trail and had my first dog charging incident.

The owner was standing (her back to me) off the right side of the trail with a ball and her yellow lab was off leash standing off to the left of the trail. As I approached she happened to call her dog (without seeing me) and her dog ran straight up, blocking the path in front of me. I came within inches of falling over the dog. She said sorry. I asked why the dog wasn’t on a leash. She looked down at a leash in her hand and shrugged. She asked if I needed help getting up. I said no and told her to put her dog on the leash and get him away from me.

I like animals but don’t like stupid dog owners. There are far too many irresponsible dog owners in Seattle. It’s so stupid to play fetch across a path where people ride cycles. I’ve had other incidents with dogs on leashes that stretched across paths but nothing like this. My uni life flashed before my eyes.

As a youngster I was chased around the block by two rottweilers until where the owner’s usual bicycling route would end. You can bet thats the fastest i have ever pedaled in my life. Nearly lifelong trauma.

Fortunately, Over the few years I’ve been much better at coping around bigger dogs, being around better owners.

Ive learned to control my fear and stay calm. I would now dismount when i hear the dog bark/and/or charging at me. Yell loudly, “Stop!”
And if that doesnt work, of course, im in an instant, ready and prepared to use my batting wheel.
Fortunately, i ve moved to a new neighborhood and the dogs, and owners are very well trained. They would have to be, much is their liability.

I recall many years ago when I was still a schoolboy and dogs were not controlled like they are today.

I was riding my bike and this dog gave chase getting right up to the side of the bike. I stood up to pedal hard but didn’t quite get to the top of the stoke slamming the back pedal brakes on hard.

The back wheel slewed sideways into the dog. It had no idea what hit it.:smiley:

The most difficult point on my favorite uni route requires me to remount right outside a house with two stupid little terriers that come out and bark.

Despite there being no fence they don’t actually come beyond the property boundary but their aggression annoys me.

One day I was not in the mood for it and “barked” back very aggressively. They were quite startled and decided it was better to ignore me. Instead the alpha dog started attacking the smaller one.

Who knows why but I couldn’t care less. I have no time for dogs at all.

They have not barked at me since.

I have asked a number of dogs if they would like to feel first hand what a 24 inch Torker felt like across the side of their head.

If a dog bit me it would want to be able to run very fast. I would have no hesitation beating it to death if I had the means to do so and I do think the Torker would suffice.

Yeah i have had dogs chase me from time to time. For some strange reason a dog belonging to a farm tries to bite my wheel!. It is really annoying. I ride a qu-ax 36" with those fat TA tires and every time it happens i have a vision of myself hopping on top of the dog and crushing It. It would be a reason to learn to hop at speed :D.

I am considering buying a dog whistle which can produce a loud noise. Combined with compressed air and a hose this might scare off a dog. Has anyone tried this?

I could interpret that,
You became the alpha dog,
Then the submissive alpha dog making a nice and clear statement to the little terrier: “shut the f-- up, you’re beginning to annoy me too!”—thus after the incident no more barking from the two:D

Perhaps a small fire extinguisher will do, if not… a flame thrower?
Roast weenie, anyone?:smiley:

To those saying you would beat a dog to death if it bit you, fine. That’s your thing, and if you feel threatened enough, I get it.

But I would suggest beating the owner rather than the dog because it’s their shitty ‘training’ that is the problem, and the dog doesn’t know any better.

Yeah agree, shitty irresponsible owners.
But if a dog attacked me, or my boy, i will not be submissive
i’ ll kick the dog’s #$$ then the owner’s.
And, yes i am a dog owner too.

I’m sorry some of you have had bad dog experiences. :frowning:

I live in the birthplace of civilization and civility, New York City, USA, where dogs are allowed to run off-leash in every city park from 6 am to 9 am (no fences to limit us). Most people just walk, hundreds of dogs on the long meadow drinking coffee while their dogs play freely amongst themselves. This is where I can unicycle while juggling 3 clubs while my dog runs off-leash alongside me, for 5 + miles. I’ve been doing this for over 8 years among these free dogs and never has one bothered me. We’re all civilized people and civilized dogs here. Come visit!:stuck_out_tongue:

Fortunately I haven’t been bitten. I’m thinking about getting a bell or whistle.

Usually the biggest issue I have with dogs is when the owner lets the dog fully extend the leash across the trail or sidewalk. Happens often while riding and jogging. Actually happens more often when I jog.

Yesterday’s incident caught me off guard because the dog ran right up to me and blocked my path at the last minute. Not sure if a whistle or bell would have helped the situation since the dog was not within the owner’s reach.

If I ever do get bitten I have no qualms about reporting the owner to animal control. I wouldn’t want there to be other victims.

I think they still sell pepper spray, which the mail men used to carry to repel dogs.