Uniycle across USA

I found this on the hpv mailing list. Is it true that no-one else has done it
since? I’d guess he used a 28" wheel (anybody know) - might be an interesting
challenge for someone on a Coker.

Reading it again - I find it hard to believe he did it on a giraffe. Must have
been a 20" wheel then, I guess:

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:26:53 EDT From: WBri209738@aol.com Subject: [hpv]
Amazing Journey Article

Read this today. Walter Nilsson wasn’t the first to cross the United States, nor
the last. But no one else has done it on a unicycle. Goaded on in 1934 by Robert
Ripley, creator of Believe It or Not books,Nilsson took 117 days to travel the
3,306-mile distance. although the trip was painful and caused him much ailments
which bothered him the rest of his life, Nilsson never once fell off his
eight-foot tall unicycle.

Bill B


Danny Colyer (danny@mos.clara.net) “A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to
the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black,
stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit
that is bottomless” - James I of England on tobacco

Re: Uniycle across USA

Nilsson may have been the first on a unicycle, or maybe the only to do it on a
giraffe, but he wasn’t the only person to cross the U.S. on a unicycle.

Check out http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/tales/kcash.html

Jim

In article <MS340255D69@mos.clara.net>, “Danny Colyer”
<danny@mos.clara.net> wrote:
> Read this today. Walter Nilsson wasn’t the first to cross the United States,
> nor the last. But no one else has done it on a unicycle. Goaded on in
1934
> by Robert Ripley, creator of Believe It or Not books,Nilsson took 117
days to
> travel the 3,306-mile distance. although the trip was painful and
caused him
> much ailments which bothered him the rest of his life, Nilsson never
once
> fell off his eight-foot tall unicycle.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what
you don’t.

Re: Uniycle across USA

Danny Colyer (danny@mos.clara.net) wrote:
: interesting challenge for someone on a Coker.

: Read this today. Walter Nilsson wasn’t the first to cross the United States,
: nor the last. But no one else has done it on a unicycle. Goaded on in 1934 by
: Robert Ripley, creator of Believe It or Not books,Nilsson took 117 days to
: travel the 3,306-mile distance. although the trip was painful

Nobody show this to Andy Cotter OK. We don’t want to give him ideas.

sarah

Re: Uniycle across USA

> I found this on the hpv mailing list. Is it true that no-one else has done it
> since? I’d guess he used a 28" wheel (anybody know) - might be an interesting
> challenge for someone on a Coker.
>
> Reading it again - I find it hard to believe he did it on a giraffe. Must have
> been a 20" wheel then, I guess:

Keith Cash did it in 1981. For details see http://unicycling.org/unicycling/ta
les/kcash.html.

I did some research on Walter Nilsson. It turns out that he used several
unicycles on the trip, including a short giraffe with a miniature wheel. The
wheel looks about 4-5" big in the picture in The Unicycle Book.

Beirne

>
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:26:53 EDT From: WBri209738@aol.com Subject: [hpv]
> Amazing Journey Article
>
> Read this today. Walter Nilsson wasn’t the first to cross the United States,
> nor the last. But no one else has done it on a unicycle. Goaded on in 1934 by
> Robert Ripley, creator of Believe It or Not books,Nilsson took 117 days to
> travel the 3,306-mile distance. although the trip was painful and caused him
> much ailments which bothered him the rest of his life, Nilsson never once fell
> off his eight-foot tall unicycle.
>
> Bill B
>
>
> –
> Danny Colyer (danny@mos.clara.net) "A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to
> the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black,
> stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the
> pit that is bottomless" - James I of England on tobacco
>
>
>
>


Beirne “Bern” Konarski | Unicycling Home Page: beirne@neo.rr.com |
http://www.unicycling.org “Untouched by Scandal” | Unicycling Society of
America:
| http://www.unicycling.org/usa/