Unitouni: Day One

Well, I spent 15-20 minutes on my new uni today. This was the first uni that I have ever touched, much less tried to ride.

I am using the ‘wall assist’ method. I was able to ‘hover’ holding on to the wall just to get comfy. Then I would pedal down the wall and try to launch from the wall.

All in all I think the session went OK. I certainly showed improvement over the short amount of time. My biggest tip to myself was to “LOOK UP”. Just like technical riding on a dirt bike or MTN pedal bike; you have to look up.

However, I must say that riding this damn thing still seems impossible.

More to come and thx for the support.

Newtouni

We were all, of course, just kidding. It is impossible to ride a unicycle, none of us can, and this is just a massive conspiracy to get you to waste your time.

Keep your weight on the seat. Glad to know you’re making progress.

Keep the positive attitude. Learning to ride a uni may take a little more time than you might anticipate. Keep your weight on the saddle and keep your practice times short at first (30 to 45 minutes). This will help to keep you from getting too tired and possibly making the same mistakes over and over. Good luck:D :smiley:

Dangit Harper. He didn’t even waste half an hour on it yet. Why’d you have to tell him our secret?

You know, I tried for one hour a day for a full month before I figured out that it was all a hoax. :smiley:

Good luck on doing the impossible.
Daniel

Congrats Newtouni! You are on your way to a lifetime of enjoyment, well, after you learn.

As my daughters were learning to ride, they constantly repeated, “Heavy on the seat, potato chips under the feet.”

Keep on practicing, you’ll do great. --chirokid–

Oh Great, then when they try to ride over a rock, you yell ,“NO, TAKE YOUR WEIGHT OFF THE SEAT!!!”. How confusing

Yeah the, weight on the seat, idea doesn’t work well for riding off curbs. :slight_smile:

6 months ago I could not ride a unicycle, I am now Muni mad and feel quite at home riding down muddy bumpy hills. It took me about 6 weeks of weekends and evenings to get the hang of it though, but when it suddenly clicks and all comes together its a great feeling.
Just treat the thing as an untamed horse that doesn’t want you on it. In time you will be its master!

When i first started to ride i would set a goal for myself each time to go farther and farther. A parking lot is great to learn in. Try to ride pas 1 then 2 then 3 parking spaces away from a curb or lightpole. Sooon enough youll hit a ride where youll go what seems amazingly far and then youre off! Good luck.

Re: Unitouni: Day One

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:33:57 -0600, Matt.P.Herbert wrote:

>I am now Muni mad

MUni Matt !

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

Congratulations on starting the journey of a life. Don’t get discouraged. One thing that helped me was to shoot for a little further each time before falling. Try counting squares in the sidewalk or pedal revolutions. It gives you a mental reason to hang on a bit longer each time.

Before long you’ll be counting it in miles…