unispin/crankflip tutorial

I am really having trouble landing a 180 unispin. I’ve been trying for a while and I can’t get it. any tips? also, is it easier to crankflip of unispin? which one should I learn how to do first?

Can’t help you with crankflips but here’s some tips for unispins.

If it’s fear that’s stopping you, get plastic pedals. Something that’s flat is good, the flatter the better. Get shinguards. Practise by jumping from the ground, spin your uni and land on the cranks/pedals. Some people find it easier to land on the cranks but I learnt by landing on the pedals and can’t seem to land on the cranks.

Oh and try to force yourself to jump forward. Fear tends to make you land backwards so if you force yourself forwards, it sort of evens out and you land on the spot.

Can’t help you with crankflips but here’s some tips for unispins.

If it’s fear that’s stopping you, get plastic pedals. Something that’s flat is good, the flatter the better. Get shinguards. Practise by jumping from the ground, spin your uni and land on the cranks/pedals. Some people find it easier to land on the cranks but I learnt by landing on the pedals and can’t seem to land on the cranks.

Oh and try to force yourself to jump forward. Fear tends to make you land backwards so if you force yourself forwards, it sort of evens out and you land on the spot.

i also cant really help you with crankflips but from what ive heard crankflips are harder to learn but easier to do consistently while unispins are easier to learn but harder to do consistently.

For unispins, just do it. Don’t overthink, get shinguards, wear a helmet, and blast music if it helps. Just jump, spread legs, spin the uni, and snap your legs back in. The most important thing is to just commit and keep trying.

awesome, thanks for the tips

I wrote this up for UnicyclingIsFun and figured I’d post it here too:

What I would recommend doing is this: First, learn to do a no footer. Start really tiny, just hop seat in a few times and push down on your seat and pop your feet off the pedals a little bit (only like a centimeter). Then gradually get bigger, until you are going maybe a foot off of the pedals. Start over then, and learn them SIF. This should take less time. Then, just put both hands on the same side of the seat (doesn’t really matter which way but I’m right handed and have my right hand forward on the left of the seat) jump off and spin the unicycle quickly. When I learned I held on with both hands the whole time. The first couple trys just jump off of the back, to get the feel of the hand positioning. Or, you could just hold your uni and practice spinning it. Either way. After you are comfortable with the hand positioning and no footers, commit, and land it!

Unispin

Heres the deal with 180 unispins…u gotta learn the hand movement. Once you have that down you don’t have to do much…as for 360’s Jump higher spread legs farther apart and spin faster. figure out ur and movement and Practice till u die. u will get it…trust me…and the 360 mount is not necessary.
Good luck dude

I can’t crankflip but i just landed a couple of 180 unispins yesterday.
A good tip I learnt was to have your thumb on the back of the seat because it helped me alot while i was trying to get that rotation

All i can say is like with everything, you need to practice one day you shall land and be so happy

What really helped me with the 1spin is pushing yourself up with the seat. This is how I landed my first 3spin. Also, put your hands up towards the front. Now get your center of balance, and actually FIND your center of balance, don’t just hop a bunch. Then, do a bigger (but not too big) hop and push off of the seat, don’t over exaggerate the leg leg movement, and bring them to the pedals. Don’t worry, this trick never really hurt me unless I was stupid. Good luck.

btw, you live in Northern Colorado? Dude, I live in Fort Collins.

I am learning 180s (I’m 40 years old mind you).

I’ve finally got real consistent with 180 jump mounts. I can now do it 20+ times in a row without falling.

Now I am trying doing it SIF and having trouble even coming close. I cam here looking for some tips about other tricks working up to that.

I am going to try Julia’s suggestion of the no footer now…

Age 52, I learned the 180 jump mount pretty easily, but I can’t even get my feet off the pedals when I try doing anything starting on the uni. So yeah, her suggestion of starting by just getting a centimeter of air between feet and pedals sounds like a good next step!

then

Then gradually get bigger, until you are going maybe a foot off of the pedals. Start over then, and learn them SIF. This should take less time. Then, just put both hands on the same side of the seat (doesn’t really matter which way but I’m right handed and have my right hand forward on the left of the seat) jump off and spin the unicycle quickly. When I learned I held on with both hands the whole time. The first couple trys just jump off of the back, to get the feel of the hand positioning. Or, you could just hold your uni and practice spinning it. Either way. After you are comfortable with the hand positioning and no footers, commit, and land it!