"unilution" (new year unicycling resolution)

I’ve been cycling my 36r through 2013 without handlebars. My new challenge is to attach the handlebars and get comfortable riding with them on. I attached them one day but was afraid of getting caught up on them (a gored bull fighter comes to mind) lol! Even mounting with the bars on is intimidating for a nervous guy like myself ha ha. I will start on the grass and make my mistakes there before venturing on to the cycle paths.

Has anyone else out there set themselves a new uni challenge for 2014?

Post your new years “unilution” and let us know how you progress.

Learn to idle

idling plus a host of other skills but, idling for 2014

Idling would be a nice one.
On a more advanced level, one foot and/or wheel walking.

And generally, more time to be able to practice more often.

I like the idling goal too. If only it didn’t destroy my knees…

My list for the new year:

• at least 1 trail ride a week, to the point of fatigue
  • Master hopping and landings with right foot forward (I prefer left foot forward)
  • Master idling and backwards riding
  • Practice still-stands

Other stuff:

• Strengthen my right knee
  • Update and fix safety gear. I need to find some tailbone protection I like, and I have been fixing tears in my gloves and guards. I should finally fix the straps on my guards so they aren’t so loose. I’d also like a lightweight full-face helmet, doesn’t need to be motorcycle durable or anything.
  • Modify and fix my 36er. New cranks, pedals, grip.
  • New 24" muni frame. My current is an old koxx 24" muni frame, and this thing has some huge dents in it, it’s a junk frame. Will probably take that time to add disc brakes.
  • Find/make friends to ride with. I have 2 of my co-workers interested currently!

My goals or 2014

Ride(29er):
twice my age (36, or 34 if i do it before the 30th this month)
100 miles

learn:
wheel walk
180 unispin
360 unispin
rolling and side hop up picnic table’s bench

Others:
Sleep, do my homework, play my instruments, clean my junk,

My only goal is to not let unicycling become something I ever feel bad or get anxious about. If it stays fun, I’ll keep doing it and I’ll get better.

I’m already doing well with my uni-resolutions, got 2 rides in so far this week! Hoping to have a third but I’m trying to be cautious, I don’t want to over-do it while I’m just getting back into riding.

Freemount my 26er.

Learn to idle, and get more comfortable riding in traffic :sunglasses:

skills

• idling
  • hopping up steps
  • ride up curbs (George Peck style!)

general

• get down to my target weight (and in decent shape)
  • ride every inch of my local training trail (stopping is ok but no walking hills and roots).
  • make it to munifest

I also want to learn to do tail-whips (even though we have no tail) I forget the uni-term for them. Simple trick that looks good!

learn to hop properly - both on 20 and 29

learn more freestyle

ride more, different trails regularly (including get used to serious uphills)

do a century in the summer

get back down to target weight

Learn to idle and ride a half marathon.

+1

Learn to go backwards
jump (forwards & sideways)
Spin
Idle

I think the closest is a uni spin, but couldn’t be that because you know what one is…

Whip? (crank grab on a ledge, throw the rest of the uni forwards or back)

Max whip? Or Adien’s version (same but forwards, I forget what its called) Both are super hard, But I think Adrien’s may be easier since I’ve seen several others who have done it.

I believe he is talking unispin.

Now my big resolution is a Pittsburgh to D.C. unitour.

Please clean your junk daily:D

I resolve to keep riding, that’s enough!