UniGeezer: "Flight Line"

That looks really good. It would be nice if you could make it able to get round corners so it could follow longer (or less straight) routes. I’ve seen things that can slide along wires and get past anchor eyes along the way (I think they’re meant for safety lines on boats so you can walk all along the deck while remaining attached to the wire). I tried to find one online but I can’t - I think it was an entry for the Prince of Wales Innovation Award a few years ago but it looks like it didn’t catch on and disappeared into obscurity.

Anyway, an interesting effect. Don’t ride into the wire and chop yourself in half :slight_smile:

Rob

Beet me to it. looks good, makes me more excited about finishing mine. I have been making a cable camera cart but its not quite finished. Something a bit more sophistated with speed controll which I am hoping will work in following me quite acuaratly both in muni and maybe long trials lines.

Thanks Rob. Actually to go anything but a straight line would me a track or on rails. The line I use is 1/4" polypropylene rope, and has something like 1,200 lb breaking strength and very little stretch. I also will try 3/16" solid braid nylon which does stretch a bit under load–but my rig is extremely light so it should work great–is super strong, much more durable, and lighter and easier to transport than the heavier stuff I have. :slight_smile:

Cool look forward to seeing the video of it in action!

1:34 was so awesome. The filming was so great, I would love this for street lines and stuff.

Thanks yeah I liked it too when it crossed over to show more depth of field!

I’m currently uploading a new video using the same technique, with 36er and my muni, but it’s mostly in urban settings like parks. I tried a picnic bench jump using a short line. I’ll post it soon, so watch for it in the vid section!

Btw, I thought of what I think is a great title, and it’s also a play on words. $25 to the first person who can guess the title…before I post it haha!

Haha times up! :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a great look there Terry. Really looks fine when the line speed and riding click. That muni scene where you do the drop is great. Yeah, and the shot going between the trees is cool to. I can’t get over how long some of those flight lines are.

I remember seeing Brian Mackenzie use a flight line technique back around October 2004 at the East Coast Muni Ride in Kent Cliffs NY (My first muni experience, if you can call it that since I just ran along with the muni pack.) I am not sure if that cut made it into his video ‘Training Wheel Not Required’.

I cant remeber seeing that kind of set up in ‘TWNR’ but I will watch it again sometime just to make sure lol:D

Also again Nice vid Terry

Nice work on the new vid also, High Strung came out great.

Thanks, yeah don’t think I’ve seen that video, but would be interested to see.

Thanks, yeah it’s been up on youtube since last night; I thought I should hold off postiing it to the video forum so I won’t have two videos so close together. :o I have two more as well from a couple weeks back. Those are traditional filming. :slight_smile:

Whooooo Buddy! That was truly a mornin’ treat. Out on the road … sittin’ in a hotel waiting to go perform and that video made me “Whoooo” out loud!!!
Do you have a “stooge” hooked up to launch the camera when you are ready to ride???
Terrific to see you back. Your the BEST.
Shug

Thanks Sean. The only time I need a little help is if I do a shot of me riding toward the camera from the low end, but usually I can just give the rig a good long push! It’ll travel a good 100’ depending on how steep the angle. Other than that, If the rig at the start point is too high to reach, or above some brush where I can’t ride from, I’ll just use a piece of string looped loosely around the rig, so it hangs down to hold it, then just let it go when I’m ready to go! It’s really fun to improvise little tweaks and improvements while in the field!

Have a great show today Sean! :smiley:

I quickly watched both Brian’s video’s ‘Inner Balance’, ‘Training Wheels Not Required’ as well as the online videos I could find of his, and don’t think I saw any flight Line video.

The only evidence I found was this quote of his,

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Editorial/Features/INTERVIEW-Brian-MacKenzie,-Unicyclying-Glidecam-Videographer-48725.htm

At Kent Cliffs, I don’t remember a fishing reel, nor did he spend 2 hours. Maybe I saw a quick experiment, and it didn’t pan out that day. But I think I have seen his video of the flying camera technique linked from unicyclist.com some time, seems long ago.

Sorry didn’t mean to get the jump on you releasing it to us.

No problem. I have the post ready with the link so it’s ready to go now. I just thought maybe I should wait 'till “Flight line” is off the front page, but that may be a while. lol.

Of course, if ppl want me to post it now, I will. :o

Wow, that is incredible.

About corners - I wonder if you could use 3 or 4 bumpable uppable pulleys in a line to make a corner, same way ski lifts work.

You can just about see something here:

http://www.prompterinc.com/Photographs/Whistler2/Whistler2/Whistler-37-Ski_Lift_Cable.JPG

The pulley attached to the car bumps over the roller wheels, and as long as the cable stays on the other rollers at the same time the cable stays intact. With corners they have 4 or 5 rollers so it is always on several rollers, and they also have rollers that spring down from the top - I dunno if you’d need those or not with your setup.

It means you get a bump on the corners, but it might be a lot lighter / less expensive than running a track.

joe

Thanks Joe! Yeah I’m not sure about the corner thing yet. I’ve only made two of these videos so far, so what ppl are seeing is really the “genesis” and evolution of this filming technique that I’ve adapted and modified for MUni. I am having a total BLAST with it! :smiley:

I genuinely believe that this coiuld truly revolutionize the way Unicycle films are made, especially MUni! Or at the very least, a fantastic new dimension in filming MUni!

I’m so excited about the seemingly endless possibilities, and already I’ve made some cool improvements: I can now do “flyover” shots by getting the high side of the cable waaay up in trees, without climbing and can be secured and untied at ground level!

Also, I made a really cool “tow line” for pulling the rig back uo to the start point, then when i’m ready I simply let it go and it instantly retracts! Again the thing I love so much is that I can set it up and do all the filming by myself and the whole rig fits easily in my camelbak! More to come! :slight_smile:

Wow what a jump in video quality!
I love the moving faster then you are riding at.

great job! can’t wait for more! :smiley:

I rellay enjoyed that vid and the filming. I am sure I will try to built something like that too (however I am not good at building such things).

At home I have a model aircraft which I almost never use. I was thinking about using the motor and servos for that. In addition to that something like a wireless webcam came into my mind. in combination with the servos and a laptop you could adjust the camera while it moves along the line (though you will need another person then). I don’t know if I can set this up the way I want but for sure I will try it.

Thanks Terry for bringing that great idea to unicycling. :slight_smile:

Thanks! It’s really cool and also eerily strange to see your UN-manned camera tracking you for nearly 200 feet, sometimes hitting speeds of 15mph! :smiley:

Thanks. Wow just from your avatar and screen name it looks like you have IDEAL conditions for using the “Uni-Cable Cam” set up! Go for it! :slight_smile: