Unicyclist Video Comp - Entry Thread

Well, here is the kickoff of the Unicyclist Video Comp! This thread will provide you with the rules and tell you when the videos are due. This is THE thread to post in to submit your video! If you post into another thread, you will not be entered!

Without further ado,
The Rules!

Rules for the Unicyclist Video Compition:

1. Each person may only submit one video.
  2. Judges may not submit videos.
  3. Videos must contain only one rider (ie, cannot be a compilation video)
  4. Videos must be your own creation
  5. Your video must be in WMV or QuickTime format, or uploaded to YouTube, Google Video, or a simular website.
  6. The video, including all clips, must have been created after January 1st, 2006.
  7. The video must be less than 5 minutes 30 seconds and longer than 1 minute and 30 seconds.

To submit your video you must:

1. Give us your name and unicyclist username.
  2. Identify yourself into one of the following skill levels: Novice, Itermediate, Expert and into one of these types: MUni, Trials, Street, Freestyle. Try your best to catagorize. If we do not agree, we will change it.
  3. Give us a direct link to your video.
  4. Release your video under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License (see here for details) http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/. This basicly means that we can do anything with your video but use it for Commercial uses. Just trying to stay legal.
  5. Agree that to the best of your knowledge, you have adheared to all the rules posted here.

Catagories and criteria (subject to change):

MUni:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert

Trials:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert

Street:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert
Biggest move (most spins, varials, flips, whatever in one trick)

Freestyle:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert

All:
Biggest bail (You know what we are talking about)
Entertainment (Make us laugh!)
Community’s Favorite! (Chosen by the community based on what they like)

Sample Submission

Hi, My name is Eric, my Unicyclist username is Eroick. I catagorise this video into Intermediate Trials. The link is video.google.ca/path/to/movie/goes/here.

Woah, hope you got thru all of that.

Today is the 22nd of September. I have decided to make to due date December 1st! So, get your videos done and post in this thread!

Questions? PM me or ask away in this thread.

Thanks!

Hey. i’m going to make a video. i’ve got some questions:

i’m not sure if i’m novice or intermediate, what’s your definition between the two?

The video can only contain one rider, but can there be other people in the video aswell who aren’t riding but are there for entertainment purposes?

can one video win more than one category?

cheers

Sweet, I have more time than I thought! I am definatly in. By the way, your link doesn’t work.

first off im in for sure. but i havea few questions.

1)why do we have judges? why dont we let the people pick the winners since theyre the ones watching. let the people pick the winners on every category. and did we even ask anyone if they wanted judges, i mean thats unneccessary to me.

2)is everyone automatically entered into entertainment, biggest bail, and community favorite? because i know for sure id like to be in freestyle, but id also like to be in community favorite. i think everyone should automatically be entered into those three on top of whatever style they choose.

1. i think rule #4 up there is unneccessary. i dont feel the need to copyright my videos.

2. videos shouldnt be released under this thread when the due date comes. this is because this thread will no doubt get long, as there is alot of questions. what we need to do is pm all our links to our videos to eroick, and he’ll post them all in one post so people will be able to see them all in one shot, no one is missed, and they wont have to search.

3. who needs 2 months to make avideo. id be up for any time in october, and im real busy so its manageable.

Two months for filming is a good amount of time, but I bit much I do agree. Since winter starts for us in about 2 weeks, haha, after this vid i’ll only have about 2 weeks to do another one. But whatev… Should be good.

-Shaun Johanneson

:smiley: I`ll make one

[QUOTE=Eroick]

Street:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert

[QUOTE]

i think we all know who is going to win this one :]

shaun cant win them all

1. Define yourself. It might be changed. Just do your best.

2. Sure, only one rider but others can do whatever for some entertainment value.

3. Yes, if its that good.

The judging system is not final. Depending on the number of videos entered, there is a good chance that it will all be up to community vote. In which case, the judges will just get the videos together and make polls.

[quote=“manon1wheel”]

[QUOTE=Eroick]

Street:
Best Novice
Best Intermediate
Best Expert

Yeah, he can only win 2. And he is definatly expert :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Eroick”]

[QUOTE=manon1wheel]

Is the Novice, intermeadiat, expert thing for video editing, or riding skill?

I was always under the impression that from begginer to expert, it goes, Novice, intermediat, expert.

Its riding skill. I dont care about your flashy transitions that you put in with windows movie maker. I personally prefer simple cuts over stuff like star wipes. Look at professionally made movies, they never have fancy wipes.

i dont know if there is enough demand to have three categories per style. Maybe it should be cut back to just 2? If you have three categories there might also be some subjectivity to what each person calls intermediate etc.

I didn’t mean any transitions or anything, I meant videos like shauns, who always uses the right music, get the angles, has the equipment ect. you can definatly tell between a proffesional grade video and a homemade one.

You could split the catagories like this, Levels 1-4 to replace novice, 5-7 for intermeadtiate, and 8 to 10 for expert, or something like that. although, judges would be needed to preveiw the vid to determine if someone is trying to cherry-pick. Such as shaun entering novice or intermeadiate because he’s never taken a levels test. That’s just an example, I’m not saying he would do that, and I have no idea if he’s taken skill level tests or not.

Well, thats why they are subject to change :smiley:

I agree, at first I thought three would be pretty cool, but I think two makes there actualy be more entries in each category, I don’t think there will be as many entries into the higher categories. It also makes it alot easier for people to choose a category.

im thinking about doing an alternative video competition of my own. i think more people would side with my way of doing things. your rules just make absolutely no sense, no offense to ya. things being structured is good…but too much structure supplemented with crappy rules just makes it lame. so yea. peace out.

nothing but love,
jonny

Why do you have to only have one rider? Multiple riders would be more interesting.

gimme some suggestions, Ill consider changing them. Its sorta a draft.

Rules Update!

Rules update. Read 'em. Less strict.

They might change a bit, but they will not get any more restricting. Hope this makes people happier.

The copyright thing is there for a simple reason. If people are going to be uploading videos, we may as well just use a lisence so that nobody gets mad incase their clips show up in someone elses video. The lisence basicly just says that people can use your video and add to it but cannot use it to make money.

The reason I want people to use WMV, Quicktime or youtube/google video is so that everyone can view the video. Most people have access to all of those codecs.

Everyone is entered into the biggest bail, entertainement and community favorite catagories regardless of what catagory your video is in.

The judging system has not yet been finalised. But Im working on it. You are getting marked 95% on riding and about 5% on editing/music. Riding is almost all that matters. The exception is the biggest bail, entertainment and community fav catagories. Those are marked on what the name implies.

As a guideline, Novice is 1.5 to 2 years or less, Expert is 2 years plus. This is just a guideline.

I hope people prefer these rules. Keep the suggestions flowing. All videos are still due on December 1st.

Rules for the Unicyclist Video Compition:

1. Each person may only submit one video.
  2. Videos must be your own creation
  3. Your video must be in WMV or QuickTime format, or uploaded to YouTube, Google Video, or a simular website.
  4. The video must be less than 5 minutes 30 seconds and longer than 1 minute and 30 seconds.

To submit your video you must:

1. Identify yourself into one of the following skill levels: Novice or Expert and into one of these types: MUni, Trials, Street, Freestyle. Try your best to catagorize. If we do not agree, we will change it.
  2. Give us a direct link to your video.
  3. Release your video under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License (see here for details) http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/. This basicly means that we can do anything with your video but use it for Commercial uses. Just trying to stay legal.

Catagories and criteria:

MUni:
Best Novice
Best Expert

Trials:
Best Novice
Best Expert

Street:
Best Novice
Best Expert

Freestyle:
Best Novice
Best Expert

All:
Biggest bail (You know what we are talking about)
Entertainment (Make us laugh!)
Community’s Favorite! (Chosen by the community based on what they like)