Unicyclist and Unicycle of the Year!!! Nominate Now!!!

Favorite rider “of the year?” Ryan Atkins. I didn’t know him before this year, and this year he made a big impression. Most of my favorite pictures from the CA MUni Weekend are of him, or have him in them. Also a nice, friendly, accessible guy. He and Jeff Groves left us Canadian gifts after staying in my house.

Favorite rider, period? It would have to be divided by category. Can’t compare Kris Holm to Kazuhiro Shimoyona (sp). Both of them. And many others.

Favorite recent uni? KH24. I don’t have one, but if I needed to buy a MUni, that would be it. All the other top ones are too expensive!

Unicyclist of the Year: John Childs

Mentor of the Seattle MUni crowd, ride organizer, quiet, humble, powerful, energetic, knowledgeable and incredibly talented. Unicycle-Tech guru of RSU. No frilly show, just trail-busting GO. Learned to ride an ultimate wheel in one hour, entered and completed the UW event at NAUCC.

Unicycle of the Year:

comp.jpg

RIGHT ON!!! Yes, he is JC and we are the disciples. For the record, however, the Gospel according to St. Greg must be modified:

“No frilly show, just trail-and friggin’ Profile crank-busting GO.”

so what am i…? chopped liver?

unicyclist of the year 2003: Nathan Hoover

this man shows up in Portland and chooses to ride up hills that have stairs just to the right. (i’ll walk it thank you)

he posts here!

not just the riding but,did all the narraration on ITTD…

helps me get to the Cali-MUni week-end!

accepts beer from strangers…

answers e-mail…

oh and he bought my 110 cranks too :~)

thank you.

unicycle of the year 2003…?

red wall3.jpg

Thanks Jagur and Zach and Dylan for very nice comments. You guys rock!

If I had to nominate one person it would be my son Beau, but that would be nepotism, so here is my vote:

Unicyclists of the Year 2003 (3 way tie):
Ryan Atkins
Christian Hoverath
Ryan Woessner

These guys have all inspired and taught me a lot in 2003. It’s great that both Ryans are under 17 years old too!

Unicycle of the Year 2003: My Hunter36. This is the perfect go anywhere, do anything cycle (to borrow George Peck’s words). Outfitted with 125mm cranks and a GB handle, it’s the all-around cycle. Stick on 170mm cranks and a Reeder handle, and you’ve got the ultimate offroad (and 24 Hours) machine. Slap on the Wyganowski extension, bar ends and bottle cages, and you’ve got your long distance touring dream machine. Photos

—Nathan

I think andy has a lot of potential. He’s gonna be a real champ.

I also think that kevin mcmullin is a champine at street. infact he’s my street hero. keep it extreme kevy.

Logan

I had the chance to have a private ride with Ryan Atkins, and I was absolutely astonished at the jumps he accomplishes. In my mind, he’s the top unicyclist of the year.

But I saw you Logan a couple of days ago, and I was impressed with your agility.

-Andy Mellick