Unicycling with dogs - anyone tried unijoring / unicycle canicross?

@mowcius I’d be interested to know if you hold the seat / bars just as much when running your dogs as you do without. I need to get better at holding the seat/bar generally when riding, but I don’t (yet) hold on so much when I’m also trying to control a dog. In having dog runs as my only current unicycling I’m learning leg control well and switching between multiple wheel sizes and crank lengths, but can’t help thinking that arm(less) control isn’t the easiest to learn with the added complication of a dog on a lead.

The one time I went out with the dog and the 36" I had a hard time freemounting. With my next biggest wheel (fattish 26") I do OK, but I realise I sometimes use the dog to pull against as I steady myself - I’m going to call that synergy, not cheating!

1 Like

I probably hold on as much with dogs as without - they don’t make much difference. If the terrain dictates a need to hold on (uphill, bumpy section etc.), then I put the lead in my left hand and hold on with my right as normal.

1 Like

The ability to pull on a lead a bit for balance correction is something I’ve noticed when riding.
It almost makes riding easier sometimes with a dog than without.

2 Likes

Completely agree.
But definitely not when a rabbit or squirrel suddenly appears!

1 Like

Go big or go home.

5 Likes

You must have a pair of these? :slight_smile:

Update: definitely sticking with the retractable lead. Went out on the 36" which had been scary with the running line and waist belt, and this time it was fun! Pleased that I could freemount fine (ish - 36" is not easy yet), and no unusual worries about the lead tangling with the bars. We both got a bit tired however! It wasn’t as fast as I’ve been on either 26" or 24", but I expect that will come with time.
@Uni2ONE2 I was thinking about the freemount technique. I hold the seat bumper with my left hand for all wheel sizes, even if there’s also a bar. The dog gravitates to being on my left which is good here as that’s the side out of the way of traffic, however it’s inconvenient when freemounting. I found could just about hold both bumper and the body of the lead in my left hand for the freemount, but it turned out to be easier to hold the lead in my right (counterbalance) hand with the line running across infront of me, and it didn’t get in the way much. That felt much more like a regular freemount, with the added advantage that I could steady myself once up with a little pull on the dog!

1 Like

Update a month later: Yay! Today the dog and I have at last achieved my rather meaningless goal (to the dog at least) of going over 14mph (22.5kmh), in high gear on my Schlumpf g26 (117 cadence, which is as fast as I’ve managed) . Getting more confident cruising in high gear, especially with a bit of forward help from the dog, but not so good at dealing with random stops or changes of direction when the dog decides something’s of interest! Definitely benefitting from the advantages of a retractable lead - eg I can now manage many dog pee stops without me needing to stop too. And most days there something to laugh at or congratulate ourselves for - eg yesterday when 5 learner motorcyclists passed us in convoy in the other direction on a narrow country lane without either dog or unicyclist messing up! (she hates motorcycles)

2 Likes

Got some footage of unicycling with our dog for the first time in ages as we got a couple of longer rides in over the past couple of weeks. The first one was a nice way to unwind after a very busy time running up to Christmas Day - it was the day after and I did a tour of the three churches where I’m minister knowing I wouldn’t be having to go into them for a few days!
Our riding setup is now a hand-held retractable lead with a bungee section at the dog’s end, and a running harness on the dog. When I’m not holding a camera on a selfie stick I can change to high gear on my Schlumpf hub 26", but I didn’t feel up to trying that while filming this on public roads.
Here’s the video - not super exciting, but I mostly made it as a reminder of the route for the future, and for our church folks to enjoy.

4 Likes

The latest in our unijoring adventures… I’ve eventually got the editing finished for the last ride I did with our dog last year. It’s our longest ride together so far (8.5 miles, 13.7km) and I had a lot of fun both riding and editing it. The 360 camera is a great way to catch UPDs in action (including when I smashed up one lense on the path - fortunately only the replaceable lense protector). Enjoy!

Trying not to fall into the canal while unicycling to Jacksdale with Miri - 8.5 miles - our best yet

(Can’t seem to get it to show a preview thumbnail of the YouTube video at present)

4 Likes

That was great, @holyroller John!

1 Like

Simply loving this thread, it was a joy to read.

This video is great John.

1 Like