unicycling videos of people over 50

Even though you didn’t put a :slight_smile: after your above quote, I still assume that you meant that in jest. Because the “rest of them” make up 99.8% of this forum! :slight_smile:

As is well documented I would never use an emoticon. I would rather unleash a pestilence upon Israel. In fact, I erase them from quoted text as you can see. Why not just say, “I’m joking,” " I’m sad," or “I’m an idiot” rather than counting on someone correctly interpreting some silly little face?

The rest of them will always make up 99.8% (99.99999998%, actually) and they will never know anything. Geezers rule.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

“I’m joking,” TBW

Hey. I’m just glad you knew that 99.99999998% is one in six billion so I’m the only one. Now I have to redo my math. They do more math in England so they call it maths.

patmoore, I will give that a try. I will have to lower the seat some to try it, but I got it marked on the post where I always set it.

You haven’t tried a 36" yet?? That’s all I dream about, but probably only because I have never seen one up close and personal. ha-ha

I don’t know what happened today, but I went out for a while and just after 45 minutes, I was drenched in sweat. Just did some basic riding and trying to turn around. Did a couple of mounts on the 20" from the curb and finally came inside. It is pretty breezy so maybe that was it! Left the wheel by the front door, so I will head back out after supper.

Mike

Enlargement of GEEZER’s RULE
Experience and guile always wins over youth and vigor; eventually.

:o

OK. You give me a birthday Easter Egg and you can quote me calling myself an idiot out of context. And I found out it’s not just Kents that were currency in Romania under Ceausescu. Chesterfields worked just as well. Served in a bowl, unwrapped, at dinner parties they were a substitute for caviar. You held out on me Sofa. You’re too young to be trusted.

Re: unicycling videos of people over 50

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:56:47 -0500, underdog wrote:

>It seems like in so many sports, over 30 is kind of ‘out of it.’ Sad
>but true.

At the upcoming Unicon, the oldest age class is 30+. It would be
better for me if there were a 50+ category, so that I wouldn’t have to
race all these youngsters in their 30’s and 40’s, and would have some
chance of actually winning. :=| (Note the irony emoticon here)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I’m slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil”

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:56:47 -0500, underdog wrote:

>It seems like in so many sports, over 30 is kind of ‘out of it.’ Sad
>but true.

Reminds me (not related to unicycling) of the time the baseball player charged the mound. The pitcher was Nolan Ryan. The guy thought Nolan was ‘over the hill’. Boy did he get a whuppin put on him. For those not in America, Nolan raised cattle and did a lot of his own work on the ranch. He was the one person you didn’t want to tangle with.
I still laugh when I remember that scene while watching the game on tv.

An actual video!

Since this thread deals with videos of the “youth deprived” I thought it would be a good idea to actually upload one. I’ve been discussing freemounting so I asked my long-suffering wife to turn off Prairie Home Companion and come outside to handle the camcorder chores. I wanted to show a freemount and a turn in a fairly tight (for me anyway) circle. The uni is a 28" Sun and I only have a 30" inseam. It doesn’t take an actuary to figure out when you add in the length of the seatpost and the thickness of the saddle itself, the desired landing spot is well above the crotch. For me anyway, the easiest approach is to NOT pressure either pedal - just put all my weight on the seat and rock forward. I’ve recorded the start a second time in slow motion if that helps. Performing this on my 20" is much easier. Unfortunately it’s in my other home in Vermont. I can’t imagine how one would freemount a 36". If you have sharp eyes, you’ll spot my Tony Hawk helmet cam. I’m experimenting with it and may have some more videos to share with you down the road.

Elderly rider freemounting a 28" uni

You geezers are awesome. I sincerely hope I am going to be a unicycling geezeress in 10 years.

Cathy

Thanks

Thanks Cathy. I’m sure you’ll be doing this long after us.

BTW, I meant to warn everyone that the video is more than a megabyte and may take some time to download.

Also, I’m always receptive to constructive criticism. I’m self-taught and my “instructor” has run out of experience.

Your freemount seems to be working well, but it surprises me a little that you don’t hold the uni with one hand on the front handle while mounting. Perhaps that would make it too easy … :slight_smile:

Good idea

It never occurred to me to try holding the seat. That makes more sense than squeezing the saddle between the thighs. Thanks, I’ll try it!

Thanks for that video.
I will be happy when I can mount my 20 or 24 that easily.
Yesterday I did lower the seatpost on my 20" maybe 1/2" and was able to mount from a curb about a dozen times or so in a row, so “it is coming along” slowly.
I got that vid downloaded.
Mike

Your link doesn’t work. :astonished:

Video

Hi Terry,

I’m not sure what happened. It was working a while ago. I just uploaded it to putfile.com too. Maybe it will work better there:

Click here to watch Freemounting-a-uni on putfile.com

Freemounting while holding on

I tried it several times last night and found it was distracting to hold on to the seat. It seemed easier to just hop on and ride. I guess it’s just what I’m used to and I’m sure I’m in the minority here.

not so sure: I do not hold the saddle while freemounting (except for running mount) because my dominant foot and dominant hand do not agree (I start with right foot on pedal but uses my left hand to grab the handle) this is a problem for me. With running mount I use my right hand and jump right foot first.

Pat: I watched your video and it seems to me that we share the same mistake on direct mount: that is there is still some weight on your pedal with this mount and so the wheel is still rolling back. I suggest that you train so that the wheel goes only one direction (that’s what I am trying to do constantly because catching the pedal with the other foot is bad for my Achille’s tendons if the wheel is going back -this does not happen with roll-back mount but I do not do it with big wheels-).