Unicycling Theory

The factors cancel eachother out beautifully and you end up with a maximum slope that is proportional to wheel to crank ratio.
That is assuming that the tyre doesn’t ever slip, that you start from a standstill on the slope and that your unicycle is weightless.

I went as far as to calculate that perfectly applied backpressure could get you approximately 0.63662 effectiveness over a full wheel rotation, compared to an optimal stillstand (making similar assumptions to borges’ ones), then got bored and wandered off. integral from 0 to 2pi of abs(n sin(x)), unless I did the math wrong.

long since calc,
John M

umm so basically what youre saying is that inch pounds are the same as foot pounds … ok!!

… from what I understand … if you apply a force at one foot and exactly 90* then you could apply half the force @ two feet and 90* and you will get the same torque, that said if you have a crank that is 5" long and a wheel with a 10" radius you get a multiplying factor of 2 , so if you are on the unicycle and your force is equal to 200 lbs (including the unicycle’s weight) then a Potential energy factor of 100 lbs (22.5* … just a guess prolly wrong and thats if you have perfect bearings) will unseat you!!

umm its the same concept as a lever :slight_smile:
oohh complicated huh?

i used pounds and inches … just for fun because I can!

umm … also about what you said, if you pull on the wheel and push on the crank you are saying that there is no torque involved?

I must not have been taught the physics I learned correctly

umm so basically what youre saying is that inch pounds are the same as foot pounds … ok!!

… from what I understand … if you apply a force at one foot and exactly 90* then you could apply half the force @ two feet and 90* and you will get the same torque, that said if you have a crank that is 5" long and a wheel with a 10" radius you get a multiplying factor of 2 , so if you are on the unicycle and your force is equal to 200 lbs (including the unicycle’s weight) then a Potential energy factor of 100 lbs (22.5* … just a guess prolly wrong and thats if you have perfect bearings) will unseat you!!

umm its the same concept as a lever :slight_smile:
oohh complicated huh?

i used pounds and inches … just for fun because I can!

… the wheel and crank experience the same torque, but the force the wheel and cranks exert is different
is that tangential force??

yeah you’re right, if its 10 pounds at one foot, thats the same torque as 5 pounds at 2 foot. and why do you guys have to use pounds and feet, metres and kilos are much easier.

maths has never really been my strong point…in fact its never been a point at all

Yeah, who needs math, just ride!!!

Well, 5 times 2 is pretty easy regardless of using feet or metres. However in this case, because unicycle wheels are measured in inches, using foot pounds saves having to convert between imperial and metric measures.

We are stuck with a mixed system I think. Until the Brits start to measure their miles in kilometres it will ever be so. I like the idiosyncratic measurement systems. How would you ever replace a word like mileage? Kilometreage? Yeuckk!
UK people understand MPG, they have generally little idea of what km per litre means in real money. Bring back real money! You used to get far more MPG out of real money.

Nao

you mean Euros?:stuck_out_tongue:
what you say baffles me: as a young boy at school in England I noticed they started using the metric system and since then they didn’t switch their minds?
(well the metric system has been a standard in the US since 1866 so there is no reason why the brits should be more agile :smiley: )

No, no, no. Pounds, shillings, pence. I came to the UK far too late, they had already disposed of sixpences and threepenny bits. Pre-decimalisation coinage. Referred to as “real money”, partly as a tongue in cheek complaint that decimalisation caused much monetary inflation in the UK. Some truth in it too I think.

Removing LSD and the maths required to deal with it has caused many of this country’s educational black holes. It’s all a plot: the one pound coin doesn’t make that nice “ting” noise when you drop it. I am sure lose a lot of coins because they fall fairly silently. The euro will be worse. We will end up using foreign coins in our own country, and I bet they fall silently too. It is no coincidence that trouser turn-ups largely died out with decimalisation. The new coins were just not worth catching.

And cricket pitches. 22 yards, you can’t go messing around with cricket, just because someone went out and counted their fingers. God forbid! Horse racing : furlongs! And those athletic swines took away the mile, replaced it with 1500 metres: see, not 1000 metres, 1500. The metric system just cannot cope!!! What next: the Marathon? In kilometres? Nope: it’s miles and yards, and needs to stay that way. Air traffic control. The first jumbo pilots to start flying in metres are going to cause hell. Remember you get a lot more feet to the square inch than metres, which translates into less airplane crashes. Anyone can see that, there is simply more room for the planes to fly about in when you use feet.
And unicycling: a Coker has a 3 foot diameter wheel. Go metric and Cathwood will never get a lilac seat post short enough for a wheel that, at a metre, is now more than 3 inches bigger!

Clocks are not decimal, why the hell not? I want a 100 day year, 10 days in a week, and get rid of February and March, I never liked them anyway.

:wink:

Nao…and if that doesn’t hi-jack the thread, nothing will.

Yup, that’s it, officially 'jacked.

I’m off to ride down a slope…

John