Unicycling - Just when you achieve something...

I’m new to both this form and unicycling (I have a Nimbus 24" MUni). I have been browsing around for a few days and have learned a lot!

This weekend I managed to ride unsupported until I ran out of tarmac (I was practicing on a school yard). This was when I realized that I needed to learn how to turn! Also I need to learn how to free-mount as walking to a suitable support is getting old.

Kind of feels like one step forward and two back!

I will say this - riding on tarmac is SO MUCH easier than grass. I was running out of back yard (approx. 50’ before I had to try to turn) so went to the school yard and what a difference - I was riding 150’+.

Started practicing free-mounting this morning (on grass) and managed a couple - great tips from a You Tube video by duckaxe (thx duckaxe). I also managed to whack my shin and leave several pin holes in it - Oh the joys of learning.

That’s all for now.

Cheers

Simon

Welcome to the forum Scoope! May your days of riding be as free of pedalbite as possible :). Your interested in learning to muni? Or was that the only unicycle available?

Charm

Hi.

Confucius said, “For everyone ahead of you, there is someone behind you.” On another occasion, he may well have said, “For everyone behind you, there is someone ahead of you.”

The point being, however good you get, you’re only half way there!:slight_smile:

3 pedal strokes, 10 pedal strokes, to the end of the driveway, to the end of the driveway three times in a row… round the first corner, across that bit of grass… the first freemount… freemounting 50% of the time… freemounting with either foot… idling… idling with the other foot… or one footed… backwards… the first kilometer or mile ride… the first one without a UPD… the first hour long ride… the first without a UPD… the first time over that bridge, or up that hill… the first entire day’s riding without a UPD…

And then you look at YouTube and see a 12 year old kid doing backflips off a phone box, on a Coker, whilst juggling 3 chainsaws…

But he knows someone who can do it with 4 chainsaws…

And that person knows someone who can do it on a giraffe…

And he knows someone who can do it on the chainsaw, juggling three giraffes…

Live ones…

It’s a constant progression, a life’s journey. And it’s a great hobby that is equally enjoyable at every level after those first stumbling rides and falls.

this was very inspiring, Im going to juggle giraffes.

Thx for the welcome Charm - I like mountain biking, also there are a lot of dirt roads around where I live so I thought a MUni made sense.

Cheers

Simon

I feel your pain! There is so much to learn, and every new skill seems impossible at the beginning. But, that is one of the things I like about unicycling…the long learning curve for each skill means you have to concentrate on where you are right now. If you think about it in terms of Zen you have to live in the moment.

Having said that there are still times when I think everybody gets it but me. Then I think of all those people out there that can’t even sit on a uni against a wall and I feel so much more superior. :wink:

grass

dont learn on grass just learn on pavement its alot faster. the worst that could happen is you jump off!

Congrats on the new skills. The Nimbus is a fine MUni - you’ll love it. Suggestion: If you are riding a MUni with pinned metal pedals, leg protection is an absolute must. Pedal bites are very common - even for experienced riders. Some of them (by “them”, I mean the pedal bites, not the experienced riders) are really painful and bloody. Unicycle.com sells various styles of leg protection. I prefer the Kris Holm Leg Armor - but if you search for threads on the subject, you will find lots of differing opinion about the pros and cons of various brands. The important thing is to get something in the way of leg protection. I never ride on pinned metal pedals without it. If you don’t want to wear leg protection, think about swapping to plastic pedals. While I have not used them, I have heard good things about the Odessy Twisted plastic pedal on trials / MUni

Also, if you spend more time on the pavement, get wrist/palm protection. I have had many falls on pavement where my palms would have been shredded if not for my protection.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement, I am really enjoying the learning process!

I have invested in some shin guards (661 Veggies) and they should arrive tomorrow - I really do not want another pedal bite!

I already have wrist protection - In the past I broke my scaphoid (pesky little cashew-shaped bone in the wrist) which needed a cast from my hand up to and over my elbow. Don’t want that to happen again.

Looking forward to mastering the free-mount with shin pads!

Cheers

Simon

Also, if you spend more time on the pavement, get wrist/palm protection. I have had many falls on pavement where my palms would have been shredded if not for my protection.
[/QUOTE]

that happened to me about a week ago for the first time. god that hurts alot wors then it looks!

[QUOTE=Kerv]
Congrats on the new skills. The Nimbus is a fine MUni - you’ll love it. Suggestion: If you are riding a MUni with pinned metal pedals, leg protection is an absolute must. Pedal bites are very common - even for experienced riders.

that happened to me last week, god that hurts alot worse then it looks!

by the way, Scoope, I like your avatar. I have always been a big Wallace and Grommit fan. Nick Park’s incredible stop motion animation and great story lines are a joy. I heard there was a 4th half hour “short” coming out soon. I hope the rumor is true.

Big Wallace and Grommit fan too - I’m originally from the North of England (where the duo come from) and have quite an affinity for Wallace as a fellow cheese lover!

Scoope, welcome. It’s nice to see another 47 year old who is trying to learn. You are farther along in the process than I am. I’m still quite a ways from free mounting and I can’t turn yet. But I am persistent and I will get there. Good luck.