Unicycling illegal in Pennsylvania

By the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, a unicycle is classified as a pedalcycle:

<i>
Pedalcycle- A vehicle propelled solely by human-powered pedals. The term does not mean a three-wheeled human-powered pedal-driven vehicle with a main driving wheel 20 inches in diameter or under and primarily designed for children six years of age or younger.
</i>

A pedalcycle is considered a vehicle:

<i>
Vehicle- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices used exclusively upon rails or tracks. The term does not include a self-propelled wheel chair or an electrical mobility device operated by and designed for the exclusive use of a person with a mobility-related disability.
</i>

But by provision 3507 c:
<i>
Brakes.–Every pedalcycle shall be equipped with a braking system which will stop the pedalcycle in 15 feet from an initial speed of 15 miles per hour on a dry, level and clean pavement.
</i>
So a standard unicycle is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania

From chapter 35, subchapter A, provision 3504 a, it is required to use a seat on your pedalcycle, which means no ultimate wheels. From 3504 b, a pedalcycle may not carry more people than it was intended for with the exception of an adult carrying a child in a child carrier, so we cannot have people on our shoulders when we ride.

<i>
3506. Articles carried by operator.
No person operating a pedalcycle shall carry any package, bundle or article which prevents the driver from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.
</i>
This we do not violate, since it is lack of handlebars, not items carried, which prevents us from using the handlebars.

<i>
§ 3502. Penalty for violation of subchapter.
Any person violating any provision of this subchapter is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $10.
</i>

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I’ll know not to fight any tickets I get for Unicycling arround on campus.

Where in Pitt are you Rebecca? Im in Oakland…

Mike

My unicycle has a braking system. If you stop pedalling, and put backwards pressure on the pedals it slows down. That’s a perfectly good braking system, even if it isn’t a standard bicycle brake.

Joe

That’s right. I can stop in 15 feet from 15 mph; no problem with the brakes!

I have a state-of-the-art UPD brakeing system. Stop on a dime at any speed, my friend (you just roll forward on the ground for a little bit).

Hm, I can’t even get to 15 mph on my wheel. So according to the law we’re legally allowed on the highway?

B.C. Too

According to the law in British Columbia, a unicycle is a “cycle” (similar to the Pensylvania definition of pedicycle). Further, it is required, when operating a cycle to keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.

Actually, I guess if I got a reeder handle equipped uni, I could be legal.:slight_smile:

hmmmmm…

Hey I noticed some of you’s are from Pa. Do any of you’s know if theres a ride in Leola on the 19th of October??? And if so are any of you’s going? Thanks!

So if we can ride on the highways, has anyone tried that yet? I’m having a challenging enough time riding around the fence up at the store. Is riding a few feet then getting off technically breaking? at least the guards around my seat haven’t been guilty of breaking, although the one lost a screw, good thing they sent more with.

Alright. I have a question about this type of thing. I have no idea what kinds of laws could be out there restricting what we can do… I’m thinking specifically towards Texas in this case :slight_smile:

Anyway, the reason that really makes me ask is that I finally got a quick 15 minute ride in a couple days ago to keep me from complete insanity from hacking code all day… I just rode it around my apartment complex, not even doing anything special. This cop came driving by and apparently saw me… he started braking… a lot… then he kinda hesitated, debating whether or not it was worth figuring out how to turn around… I’m not sure if he thought it was cool or thought he could get me for not holding on to the handle bars or something… any ideas?

Paranoid in San Antonio :wink:

Maybe it was a religious thing; The cop was a “Uni-tarian” and he couldn’t decide if he had time to stop to worship you… okay that was pretty bad, sorry…

heh, I wish… if that was the case I could throw my muni in my passenger seat and run all the red lights/stop signs I want…