Unicycling down Snowdon in aid of Breast cancer

Would anyone be interested in a lap of the new trail at Penmachno, just south of Betws-y-Coed? It’s very convenient if you’re going there by road, it’s about 11-12 miles long and I’d quite like to see what it’s like…

Phil

Sounds good to me.

Rob

so atm it’s 8pm at heights hotel and sunday 9:30am at the trail thingy :smiley:

so have we confirmed how many are going? and who is getting there early on sat?

all the best!

[QUOTE=bonaparte]
Hello Everyone. My name is Carl if you don’t know me already I am the one arranging the trip to go down Snowdon.

Hi Carl, I’m not in your league (newbie, there in spirit), but willing to sponser you… if any of you blighters are living in the Swansea, or have some distant relative who used to live in the area… I can also get you some newpaper coverage, pictures (obviously a bonus). :wink:
Keep the wind in your wheel!

Snowdon trip

Hello everyone. This has been great. There are some many who want to come along. I never knew there would be such an interest in it. Well I am getting excited about going and more and more nervous too. I can tell you now that ITV Wales will be there so thats good news.

Altough we are going down Snowdon I have nothing planed for when we get back down. Does anyone want to go anywhere else. Someone posted up a place to ride in Betws. I heard it is great fun there and I been meaning to ride there for a while now. Well I supose i’ll see on the day and make a spirt of the moment thing.

Thanx everyone see you all at Snowdon.

if it’s only a downhill run, how we all getting up top :smiley:

And wrap up warm, coz it’s still winter and gets below zero up there.

Snowdon

I am afraid that we are going to walk to the top as the train want let us Put bike on.

I suggest walking boots for going up and water proof coat. But try and pack light to go up because you don’t want to be uncomfortable.

Hmm, this is a somewhat tempting change in plan for me, train to Betws on Friday, camp out there, ride the Marin trail the morning, meet you guys at Penmachno, ride that, and then pitch up somewhere near Llanberis ready for the next day… It’d rely on you to give me a lift to Llanberis from Penmachno.

Have you ridden the Marin trail, any idea how hard that is? It sounds like a decent mornings ride from their website, which would work out nicely. By morning’s ride, I’m assuming starting pretty early, I guess I’ll wake up at dawn, and camp somewhere near the start.

Joe

I’ve done the Marin on a bike twice, but not on a muni. It’s much more uppy-downy than most of the Welsh trails; lots of cracking singletrack separated by long and fairly steep drags up fireroads. One hill in particular is horrible in that it’s a fireroad that goes downhill! On a bike it’s uber-fast but it’s a bit frustrating because there’s a dead steep road climb after it…

Having said that the singletrack is excellent, particularly the super swoopy last descent, and the scenery is very nice, particularly the views over the lakes at the western edges.

If it’s any help for your planning it is 14.7 miles long, has 670m of upwards and took my brother and I just over two hours to get round by bike.

Phil

well the trail we going down on the sunday from snowdon will be interesting, as my uni don’t have a brake :wink:

Neither will the unis of most people riding it. That’s what your legs are for!

There are other ways to slow down, though. At the bottom of the steep bit last year I tried using my face as a brake; it worked quite well in that it stopped me very quickly, but I suspect there may be easier ways.

Phil

well i’m gonna need a helmet at least for me, so anyone know the cheapest place to get protec? or that other good brand?

well i’m booked, lets hope we don’t drink to much on the saturday night, thoughs of us legal that is :smiley:

Gotta be up early in the morning and a full english with a hangover don’t mix :roll_eyes:

Phill i’ll try and let you lead by example b4 i follow :wink:

On the BMW trip down Snowdon Aaron found a convient patch of sheep poo to help him stop. :smiley:

lmao only 1 bad experience with poo, when i was a young boy i slipped in a cow pat and ladded my butt in it.

Wasn’t the best experience :o

This is a bit odd, but I’ve got a perverted craving for long uphill drags and singletrack and even the downhill fireroad sounds fun somehow(*). So this plan is sounding best now.

I presume the Penmachno trail is somewhere near Penmachno, but that’s all I can find on the web. D’you know where the start is? Any idea what sort of time you’ll get there?

Joe

(*)I think I’m having an odd phase, I’ve being doing some running recently, and am going for a two wheeled road ride tomorrow (fixed wheel though, so not too silly).

Hey guys!
Ok, Sorry its a bit late but me and my brother can make it! We will try and collect as many sponsers as we can in the week. We might see you in the heights hotel on the saturday evening, don’t know any of you, but i will probably be wearing some form of silly hat.

See you in wales!
Ride on!
Edd

I cant believe this hasn’t been posted already! The weather was great this morning, full on sunshine! Check it out!Here!
Can’t wait, im so excited!

Ride on!
Edd

psst… the unwritten rule here is to never, ever guess what the weather is going to be like; you’ll just jinx it and give us torrential rain and gale force winds… :wink:

Phil

I’d be surprised if the weather was anything like last years trip where shorts and suncream would have been a good idea!

I’m travelling from Wigan M6 - onto the A55 if anone would like a lift?
Only doing the Sunday.

Neil