Unicycling down Snowdon in aid of Breast cancer

Well it’s been quite windy and very cold here this week. Good luck.

Cathy

Well, im starting to eat, drink, talk, sleep and dream about the snowdon trip! Work drags out for what seems like days, then i look at the clock and realise i still have 6 hours to go! I think my girlfriend wishes it was over already! I really hope it won’t be too windy! If it snows, at least it won’t hurt when i fall off!

Snowdon Rocks!
Edd

There are, indeed, a lot of rocks on Snowdon… :slight_smile:

A few of us intend to ride the man-made trail at Penmachno, near Betws-y-Coed, on the Saturday afternoon. We’re not entirely sure when, as it depends on when everyone gets there and whether we can find each other (and the trail, for that matter!), but if anyone else is interested send me a PM or somesuch.

Phil

It’s going to be awful weather now. You’re all going either way, so discussing weather just gets everyone’s hopes up, hence invoking the weather curse.

I feel so lucky that I’ll be working instead of riding around in the pouring rain now. Yay.

Oh well if it’s really bad, we can all just sit in a pub and learn drinking games :stuck_out_tongue:

Watch out, these guys have names for people like you…

Mountain forecast is here.

<http://www.metoffice.com/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia.html>

If someone could have a look tomorrow or Sunday it’ll have more detail.

I’ve got all my gear packed in my camelbak, (well, one bit of it is attached to the back), surprisingly it rides alright for muni, there isn’t much weight, but quite a lot of bulk.

the forecast looks okay, and I’m off to Betws some point this afternoon depending on work. Am well excited!

Joe

Hi, it looks like a cold and windy weekend, but the sun should be smiling, albeit with a slight possiblity of snow. So make sure you have your sunscreen, thermals, snowboards and lots of chocolate! Wishing I could be there. All the best :smiley:

Here’s some pictures of what it looked like on Wednesday.

http://markfarrell.fotopic.net/c914068.html

Joe

WOW! It dosn’t look like it will be like that on sunday though, looking at all the different forecasts. We can only hope…

Rockin’ in pink!
Edd

Ahhh I can’t wait. I know I won’t be able to sleep the night before. just like on my brithday when I went paintballing I was up all night and to excited to sleep.

Well whatever happens on the day I’m going to ride down that mountain.

Cau

I think he should use the ITV leverage to force the train to allow us uni :sunglasses:

Wont you thinkof the poor legs :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re so exicted you can’t even spell your own name? wow, and i thought i was excited!

Rockin’ in pink!
Edd

another weather link for you (pdf format)

THE MOUNTAIN WEATHER INFORMATION SERVICE
SNOWDONIA NATIONAL PARK

phil i sent you a PM, guys i’ll be there around 11am ish, maybe earlier, well prob coz I’m only 100 miles away :slight_smile:

Prob only take me a hr to get there but anyhow, if you want to meet up earlier than 8pm meet thing phil going pem and i fancy it.

Give me bell on 07804 110 305

I’ll prob be around llanberis as i’m staying on the main 'highstreet anyhow, uni’in.

edit - heights hotel is on highstreet (main road through llanberis) number 74

Well, we made it down the mountain, with as many intact limbs as we started with! The helmet i ordered had not arrived in time, so i was helmetless for the ride! I fell pretty hard once and cut my hand open, which kit (thanks dude!) helped me to patch up. The ride itself was THE single most hardcore ride i have ever been on! Once we had got to the top, the blizzard was so intense that Carl, who had got to the top before us, was having difficulties. We gave out enregy sweets and other food before setting off back down the mountain. The first stretch, we went down the railway track, which was covered with snow. It was a fast and smooth ride! When we got to the first tunnel we regrouped and started the decent down the super tech rocky section. The terain was big rocks with lots of smaller rocks on top and loose gravel on a MEGA steep slope. There was lots of UPD’s from everyone! After the steep section, it flattened out and the sun shone! The next bit was slightly faster, over small rocky sections followed by a bit of smoother stuff with some small drops. Then it was pretty much the same, right to the bottom! I spent most of the ride with Matt, kit, and a couple of others, sorry didn’t catch your names guys! Everyone was friendly and great riders! The ride was great and i’d definaly go again!

The pictures from my camera are Here!
There must be hundreds more pictures because there were more photographers than riders!

To everyone that rode down the mountain: Ride on hardcore dudes!

Rock on!
Edd

Thanx for the write-up Ed, I’ve been sitting here all morning hoping to hear how it went.

well i had to disappear coz was getting to late for getting bk and then to luton.

But i can’t walk this morning, but next time, and there will be a next time :wink: i’m gonna be sure to have the right gear :smiley:

Thats 2 years and twice up Snowdon, you would have thought i’d have learned by now! Excellent ride, cool people, very cold at the top and nice at the bottem (thats mountains for ya).

The best bit had to be the ride from the top blasting down the railtrack covered in deep snow head long into a blizzard. Must have made a strange site for any walkers going up at the time!

Uploaded pics here (resized by 50% to same on upload time). For some reason the pics are in the reverse order!

If anyone would like a full size pic just ask.

It was indeed a superb ride. The weather was much better than forecast, with the blizzard only affecting the top, and actually clearing up by the time we were on the way back down. The bit along the cliff edge after the railway bridge was pretty scarey on the way up in the blizzard but coming back down was much better - I don’t think we lost anybody.
Thanks for putting those pics up Edd. Phil and Rich took loads between them, so there should be a few more posted soon.

The ride we (Phil, Joe M, Liam [DomesticatedApe] and I) did on Saturday was also excellent. It was a newish trail near Betws-y-coed, near the Marin trail (Phil will know the details) and had some of the best singletrack I’ve ever ridden - and superb scenery. Pretty knackered by the end though.

Rob