Unicycling and sun

There’s something unique about the combination of unicycling and sunshine that makes it one of my favourite things in life.

Has anyone else noticed how well they go together?

There’s stuff I really ought to be getting on with but the sun’s out big style today, so I’m off for a ride. Bye.

By the sound of it you are one of the few who isn’t currently staring glumly out of the window at the rain sheeting down… :frowning:

Phil

I prefer the ride to start overcast, then turn to rain (refreshing rain, not downpour) midway. This keeps me really cool, and already covered 100% in sweat anyways.

I really like riding in the rain. Although starting in the rain sucks.

I just find it gets far too hot to enjoy the ride. I’ll do the majority of my summer riding at night.

I agree with Sofa!

And yes Phil (the horrible one… LOL) It was lovely when I woke up… and I got ready, and stuck my 661s on, an then the rain came… off came the 661s, and on came UNiVERsE! :smiley:

Joe,

PS. now going to see Kangaroo Jack :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t believe what I’m hearing, do you seriously not like riding in the sun?

Admittedly, riding in overcast weather is good cos you can push yourself more, but the thing that really sucked me into serious unicycling was riding down the road on beautiful sunny days last summer on my 20"-er.

My best rain experience also happened that summer when I was on my way home and the sky opened. Normally I’d have ridden home quickly and got annoyed, but on this occasion I was drenched to the absolute maximun in seconds. Realising that I couldn’t get any wetter, I turned round and did a really enjoyable extra hour of riding.

I’ve also found night riding through the streets to be good, partly because it’s colder and I seem to be able to go faster.
But, in truth, my heart is with the sun: -

unicycle+sun+open road=BLISS!

There are pros and cons. One evening last week I rode 20 miles, mainly in the rain. I didn’t get sunburned, but my wet shorts did chafe a bit of skin off my ‘goody bag’. :astonished:

My Dad and I went for a 50 mile ride yesterday. The weather seemed to change every minute, we got sun, rain, wind and clouds. I caught the sun a bit on my nose (and also caught a few nettles with it when I went head first into a patch of them :D) and my Dad got sunburnt on his legs between the pads and his shorts. It was a cool ride, but the best weather was when it was cloudy with the sun just poking through… nice and bright but not too hot. Bliss :slight_smile:

I d’ont mind riding in the sun, but it’s good because you know it w’ont rain, it’s bad because you’re way too hot. Anyways, the reason i d’ont like the rain, is because i do alot of trials, and if eveything is wet, then you lost alot of traction, and c’ant go as “big”. MUni, and road, however, is alot of fun in the rain. MUni si good in the sun. Road is bad in the sun. So, in conclusion, MUni si the most weather friendly form of unicycling, to me at leat.

-Ryan

Ryan: You are u’sing your po’wers well

:sunglasses:

pheew you’re talking like my wife! as a blonde sun-worshiper
she cannot imagine that I fear direct sunlight

as I always say the only advantage of plain sun is that it provides shade!

(brown) bear ( sun-shy )

I never used to have a great love for the sun, as I’m very light skinned it has damaged me several times in the past!

It was only last year when I discovered the combination of unicycle and sun that I came to appreciate it.

I think you do need to take care and be either covered or use factor 20+

I know several people who have come to UK from hotter places and they often attribute the endemic misery of most of Englands population to the relative lack of sun.

so many people having in their heart the sun they do not have in the sky I would not agree with you!

moreover the relationship sun/morale is not universal: I suspect
it’s a genetic predisposition.

Re: Unicycling and sun

wobbling bear wrote:
> onewheeldave wrote:
>> *
>> I know several people who have come to UK from hotter places and they
>> often attribute the endemic misery of most of England’s population to
>> the relative lack of sun. *
>
>
> so many people having in their heart the sun they do not have in the
> sky I would not agree with you!

Nor would Seligman. He argues in his book Authentic Happiness
(www.authentichappiness.org) that happiness is unrelated to climate. It
surprised me too.
>
> moreover the relationship sun/morale is not universal: I suspect
> it’s a genetic predisposition.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
–Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

“…with upward of 300 sunny days in south africa, dave did not understand the question…”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily, most of our better trails are cut through wooded areas and this provides cover. But down here in South Florida, if you don’t learn to at least tolerate riding in the sun you won’t get much riding time.

Perhaps the uni/sun combination is the result of the brain releasing endorphins. I get that same feeling when road-riding my 28" – it’s like all is right with the world.

Scott Kurland wrote>

Re: Unicycling and sun
wobbling bear wrote:
> onewheeldave wrote:
>> *
>> I know several people who have come to UK from hotter places and they
>> often attribute the endemic misery of most of England’s population to
>> the relative lack of sun. *
>
>
> so many people having in their heart the sun they do not have in the
> sky I would not agree with you!

Nor would Seligman. He argues in his book Authentic Happiness
(www.authentichappiness.org) that happiness is unrelated to climate. It
surprised me too.

You’re right, authentic happiness, in my opinion, must not depend on any external circumstances whatsoever.
i.e. if you want to be happy, it is a good idea to find the most joy you can in whatever is happening.
However, in this world I find that certain things will fill your heart with joy, for me -unicycle riding and sun.
So, for me, unicycling and sun is in addition to the happiness gained through the kind of techniques probably endorsed by Seligman. (I checked his site but it seemed to require log in/ personal details, so I left)

GILD
THNK

quote:

Originally posted by onewheeldave
I can’t believe what I’m hearing, do you seriously not like riding in the sun?

“…with upward of 300 sunny days in south africa, dave did not understand the question…”

That’s a good point, i guess in South Africa the sun must get to be a pain.
However, in the UK we definatly don’t have that problem, which is probably why I appreciate it so much.

unibabyguy
Hunter-riding Municyclist

Perhaps the uni/sun combination is the result of the brain releasing endorphins. I get that same feeling when road-riding my 28" – it’s like all is right with the world.

Yeah, thats pretty much the feeling-everything all right with the world!

The rain helps…

As a unicycling newbie, having water on the ground helps a lot.

That way, whenever I fall off, I can blame it on how my shoes are slilppery and skidded off my pedals. =)