Unicycling and heart rate

If you never go too fast, how will you know what too fast is? Also, there is a good quote about this by Hunter S.Thompson, who was an American journalist: “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”

Only a superhero with special powers can do this. @Canapin can do it, but I don’t know if others have this power.

Starting from which message?

I already moved it

edit: before it was in the pictures of your latest ride topic

Sure… But I’m not fluent in English and it takes a lot of effort to read and see exactly where is the issue.
Maybe someone more fluent like @Eric_aus_Chemnitz could do it?

Thanks for the advice. I had an ECG of 48bpm recently and Doc sent me to a cardiologist. He confirmed I’m ok and only fit with lower HR, but as a precaution I have to wear a portable ECG for 24 Hrs.
I’ll try the 10 minutes of hill climbing tomorrow morning. Might do multiple climbs at max effort (with reserve to balance). Will be interested to know my Max HR to set my training zones. Might wear my Garmin HRM as well and see how accurate it is. I’ve had readings of 45bpm on it.

Honestly, if you really want to find the max HR, do a few climbs to start to get the blood flowing really well, but then dismount and run all out as fast as you can. Not just that you are less likely to fall over, but running also engages more muscles so it tends to be a lot easier to get your heartrate up.

But it’s an interesting test I might need to do, try and see how close I can get to my max heartrate on a unicycle - I know I got to ~90% in a short spike at the unicon uphill race and I was not pushing close to losing balance at any point. I heard many stories of people falling over after the marathon at unicon, maybe those got very close to max HR.
I still want to make a “Running vs. Unicycle vs. Roadbike” video, with heartrate and time data. The idea would be going up and down the same hill with each (maybe even multiple times), but using different routes to suit each mode of transport. I have a few potential hills in mind, just need to think about which one would produce the closest result for the video to be interesting…

2 Likes

Here are some of my stats:
48 years old, 215 LBS
Using a Garmin chest belt as heart rate monitor

I have on a regular basis an average heart rate of in the low 160’s for 2 hour cross country rides on my 27.5 muni.

Below stava excerpt is from a prolonged ride.
If I have to believe the formula 220- age my max hear rate would be 172

If this is correct I don’t think I would be able to average 164 BPM for close to three hours :slight_smile:

On a couple of rides I have hit the 200 BPM mark so I would say yes: reaching your max heart rate on a unicycle is definitely possible.

Clipboard02

@finnspin perhaps a first effort could be to do the exact same ride in all three ways.
Then you have a nice baseline and you could use this data for the “climbing by bicycle vs unicycle” debate as well.

Afterwards you can still try several variations:
matching the speed on the same route and compare the effort
take the max effort and use the other two sports to match it
use different routes to come to the same results.
I see lots of possiblities here.

It is possible to reach 190 or 200 pulses at age 48, even if it is higher than normal. However, it is necessary to check graphically that this is not a bad recording.

For my part, if I want to reach my maximum heart rate on a unicycle, I have to find a place that goes up and continue a maximum effort for several minutes.

I know that a few years ago my maximum heart rate was close to 190 bpm, and in the 3 races I won at UNICON20 I did not reach 180 bpm. And yet I went a little higher in training…

1 Like