unicycling a factor in career?

For those of you in the working world, how has unicycling influenced your career choice? I was self employed for 7 years, but that was before 2 kids. I can’t imagine taking a job that would keep me from riding…

–tom

i work with circus in events
i was suposed to be a juggler… was juggling for years… and them i became a unicyclist :smiley:

I decided to drop out of law school about the same time I learned how to ride. Of course, now I work in land-use planning, but I still have time to ride, which I would not have had as a lawyer.

I feel your pain! I have four kids myself and between career, family and always trying to make ends meet I find I never seem to get enough riding in. With that said, you tend to make time for the things you enjoy. I’ve incorporated distance unicycling into my physical workout. Instead of jogging or cycling I try to ride 5 - 10 miles daily (during seasonable weather) and 20+ miles on a Saturday. Two of my boys ride as well so at times I’ll spend some quality time with them riding unicycles around the neighborhood. Late in the evening I’ll spend time on this forum reading and enjoying the riding stories that others tell.

As a Piano technician my work is fairly sedentary, so when I turned 50 last year, I decided to re-start a rigorous-type of an exercise program that would be both effective and most of all…fun! But I quickly became bored with running, and mtb-ing wasn’t for me either. Then I found this website in Jan. '06 and “rediscovered” unicycling;I hadn’t ridden one since about 1972, so I had basically start allover again, especially dicovering MUni, which has become my all consuming exercise/passtime of choice!:smiley: It has paid off in droves for me, and introduced me to a whole world of great people that love what I love!:slight_smile: I give this sport all the credit for putting me in the best shape of my life as well, and I will probably MUni until they take away in a wheel chair! :sunglasses:

As a Piano technician my work is fairly sedentary, so when I turned 50 last year, I decided to re-start a rigorous-type of an exercise program that would be both effective and most of all…fun!

But I quickly became bored with running, and mtb-ing wasn’t for me either. Then I found this website in Jan. '06 and “rediscovered” unicycling; I hadn’t ridden one since about 1972, so I basically had to start all over again, especially dicovering MUni, which has become my all consuming exercise/passtime of choice!:smiley:

It has paid off in droves for me, and introduced me to a whole world of great people that love what I love!:slight_smile: In just one year since I resumed what has become my passion, I’ve MUni-ed in so many great places like CMW, Ojai, Santa Barbara, Simi Valley, Tons of great technical trails in O.C., Palos Verdes, San Juan Capistrano, and this year will be my first at Moab Munifest! I also give this sport all the credit for putting me in the best shape of my life, and I will probably MUni until they take away in a wheel chair! :sunglasses:

In wish case you just outfit that wheelchair with two duro leopards and hit the trails again.

Hey I like that! But maybe the Gaz would be better? :sunglasses:

I just started working full time as a cook. It is great work and I’m making pretty good money, but with a 50-60 hour work week it pretty much destroys alot of the perfect time to be riding. I’m getting a little annoyed at how little riding I’m able to get done now, but it also means that I should be able to afford to go to the next unicon, I can afford the parts I want rather than just the ones I need. I enjoy working at the restaurant I’m at alot!! www.genji.ca and so all in all its not so bad.

Still a 9 to 5 job would certainly be nice for riding.

same for me

• working as probably one of the oldest people in a big corporation stuffed with yuppies, I can outsnob any of those youngsters who boast of a superb golf handicap :stuck_out_tongue:

I am pretty busy with my family (four kids and one wife) and two jobs. I don’t ride nearly as much as I would like. It is especially hard during the winter when there is not much sunlight and it is either raining or snowing outside.

One solution I have found is to ride in some of the nearby parking garages. They are always dry and always have light. I travel a lot too, fortunately because my uni is so much smaller than my bike, much of the time I can take my uni with me and ride here and there.

I also find that riding uni is a great thing to do with your kids. Even though my oldest is still working on learning to ride her 16" I take her for rides and she just rides along on her bike.

Does charitable events count as a factor in career?? Cause thats what me and friends unicycle for. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Worked as a Biomed engineer. Dreamt of unicycling all day. So, I quit and now I’m studying Sports & Outdoor Rec. :slight_smile:

you said all my friend!

I handed in my notice at my last full time employment when my manager wouldn’t let me take holiday to go to BUC. He didn’t seem to understand that unicyling was more important to me than the warehouse was.

I’m a full-time educator (college prof), and have 3 sons (two of whom ride). My riding buddy is a teacher. We get to ride once or twice a week late afternoons–we pretty much only muni–during the school year, and once on the weekends. We don’t have much more time in the summer, ironically–teachers don’t have the summers off, as much as people try to perpetuate that myth. While I’d love to ride more often, I love my job, too, and having less time to ride makes the time I do have that much sweeter.

You teach at Chico St. PARTY SCHOOL! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I don’t think unicycling was in any way associated with career choice for me (Chemist) but certainly, MUni has gone hand in hand with the choice of where to live (Boulder, CO). I can’t imagine not living somewhere close to a trail.