Unicycles on bikes, part III

Carrying on from this thread today my brother and I tried to make my bike come that little bit closer to collapsing due to overloading.

One unicycle on the back of the bike just isn’t enough, especially if there are two of us, my brother and I, wanting to go riding in a park south of Lincoln out of riding range. So figuring that carrying one muni only uses one side of the rack, we loaded them both on.

It works… the bike is dead heavy and accelerates only with a lot of effort but it did the job, carrying two unicycles seven miles to a particularly fine MUni-ing spot.

Sadly the photos in the growing gallery are a bit fuzzy due to my technological incompetence; the button to change between closeup and normal modes evidently wasn’t obvious enough. At some point we’re going to have to go riding there again just to get some better photos. Oh deary me, how will we cope… :slight_smile:

Phil

2 munis 2.jpg

Very nice…so you don’t have any photos of the actual ride?

Andrew

Nice work, Phil and John.

How did you attach the unicycles to the bike rack? I can’t quite tell from the photo. Is the bungy cord all that is holding them in place, or did you stabilize the load with more than that? Out of curiousity, did the bumping on the rack scrape the frames at all?

We need to get a whack of unicycles down to a cycling festival this summer, preferably by human power. I figure I would like to put two uni’s (a 29" and a 20") on the back of my bike. Alternatively, I could ride down on one uni, pushing the other in front. But the bike would definitely be faster!

Thanks,
andrea

No photos of the ride but we did get some videos… some trial runs with muni helmetcams. It was difficult to get the angle right so you could see what was going on, but it seemed to work. My brother caught on video an impressive bail resulting in the camera going from six foot in the air to a few inches from the ground very rapidly! I’ll upload them when I get back to York, it would take forever from here.

The place we found looked like it could almost have been a neglected biking spot… a short track a few hundred metres round over some great varied terrain… over logs, up and down steep slopes, round trees and all sorts. Great fun.

The unis are held on to the bike rack with three lengths of bungee cord. The rack itself has a central flat plate and two lengths of tubing either side, so the frames of the unicycles hook over this and will actually sit there on their own when the bike is stationary. They rest on the entire length of one side of the frame and the protruding part of the axle. The bungee cords secure them to the bike and rack, so there’s no movement unless I go too fast over bumpy bits. The only scratches are on the bike rack, from the hooks on the bungee cords.

Phil

Andrea,

If you ever end up riding one uni and taking the other with you, I suggest you should try carrying the 20" over your shoulder. It’s quite comfortable this way and looks pretty funny. You won’t get any "You’ve lost a wheel"s either.

Andrew

no, but u might get some “hey! i’ve got a welding machine u can use!”

Re: Unicycles on bikes, part III

andrew_carter wrote:
> If you ever end up riding one uni and taking the other with you, I
> suggest you should try carrying the 20" over your shoulder.

I can agree with that …

> You won’t get any "You’ve lost a wheel"s either.

But sadly that’s not been my experience :frowning:

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine