Unicycles influencing bikes

Since buying my 36 I stumbled across the 36er bike.

Some links:

Includes a kind of giraffe I guess

(might be a spoof)

Anyone actually seen one?

I wonder what proportion of Stealth rim sales are being used in bikes?

We might get some more tyre choices if the idea caught on but I suspect they would be too hard to manoeuvre.

There was another 36" tyre made by Waltworks a while back, primarily for bikes. Details here: 900-1000g 36" tire, anyone interested?

The brand DirtySixer is making bikes for tall and very tall people based on 32" and 36" wheels.

The 32" version is brand new (I wonder why… ;)).

Big bird

Focus makes 36" mtb model called big bird

erm … no!
http://www.bigbird-focusbikes.com/

Back in the day (say, prior to 2000) the Coker Tire Company (an antique wheel and tire company in Tennessee) produced a super cruiser bike based on their 36" wheels and tires. The unicycling community was somehow able to convince them to produce a 36" unicycle, hence this historical name Coker for all 36" unicycles. I believe the Coker Tire Company no longer produces either the cruiser bike or the unicycles. But bicycling definitely influences unicycling…not the other way around.

For me it looks as if they’re still producin’
https://www.cokercycles.com/

Direct link to where you can order one

It was called the Monster Cruiser (possibly the Coker Monster before that). For whatever reason, it didn’t sell as well as the unicycles and was dropped, while they continued to make unicycles! Possibly due to cost vs. price, and space required to manufacture and warehouse bikes vs. unicycles? That’s just a guess. The original Coker uni frames were clearly made in Taiwan (identical to low-cost main cap style frames of that era) so they may have been doing little or no in-house manufacturing beyond the tires. The later versions had more unique and brand-specific components, which may or may not have been manufactured in the USA.

Apparently Guy Hansen had a hand in that; something I’ve always wanted to follow up on, as a bit of unicycling history. They started making unicycles in 1998 (I think only available starting in '99; Gilby won one of the very first ones as a prize at the 1998 NAUCC) and it changed the world of long distance unicycle riding.

Yup. But in the case of 36" wheels, unicycles definitely played a role. If the Monster Cruiser had quietly died without a unicycle version living on afterward and spreading 36" tires around the world, that size may have faded away and not lived to see interest from the bicycling world for non-novelty bikes.

I was curious about whether Coker is still selling their unicycles. Looking at their website it appears that you can still order their Big One model, but getting to it is not obvious; you have to choose a tire type before you get to the linked page above, that allows you to order one. The Monster Cruiser and the V2 Unicycle can’t seem to be ordered from the site, though you can still place orders for accessories and parts.

Or not, since there are some obvious broken links on there, the cycles and parts may or may not still be available. :frowning:

I loved my original Coker (from 2002), and I also had a Big One model for a time, but sold it for too little money. I still have the V2 frame they sent me for testing and review. A cool unicycling oddity!

I was also fascinated to know that Ventana Bikes (the manufacturing facility for the Dirty Sixer) are made in Rancho Cordova, which is right in my local area. I used to ply the American River Bike Path through Rancho all the time on my Coker, and later my SilvaCycles KH Schlumpf 36.

https://36ers.wordpress.com/blog-page/, even if it’s not up to date with the latest 36er bicycles built around the world
Don’t know how many 36" rims are sold but for sure there are more now than ever before.
36" are not “hard to maneuver” when you’re 7f tall, have the right geometry and wide bars. They are normal to us tall. :slight_smile:

Hi there, David here founder of DirtySixer bikes. Yes we are proud to say that Ventana is building our bikes. They do fabrication for a lot more brands that don’t disclose it, but for me it’s totally transparent and I’m proud to say they are behind the stellar quality of engineering and fabrication of my DirtySixer bikes.

Ahahah, no wonder: thanks to unicycle.com! I was surprised when I learned (on mtbr or here) that they were making this wheel size (yall know the story behind being the walmart 32 cruiser rim iso 686), something I wanted to make too but didn’t have the funds for (I’d have personally go for bigger than 686). So yes big and proportionate bicycles, hand fabricated in the USA for us tall riders (and very tall riders on 36"). Shaq rides on DirtySixer as well as Mark Eaton (7f4). We have a kickstarter campaign going on to pre order these big bikes if you are interested or know someone really tall. Please share the links, there’s a $500 off for a limited time! For riders around Point Guards’ height: DirtySixer 32er AllRoad or on Vimeo if you don’t have an account there. For riders around Centers’ height:DirtySixer 36er MTB or Road or on Vimeo.
Ask me any questions you have. I just created an account today to reply here.

Early in the 29er craze KH rims were a hot topic on the MTBR forums. Basically they were the widest beefiest rims available for anyone crazy enough to take a “big wheel” bike down a mountain.

The 32" wheel size was overdue in the unicycle world, and took Kent Bicycles to introduce the size before UDC adopted it and made some high quality components to make it viable.

32" bikes using Nimbus rims now is kind of like 29" bikes using KH rims in the 2000s. It’s not that there aren’t bike options available, but that ours are better and stronger.

If you scroll to the very bottom of that link you can read the note.

*this is a april fool

Guy Hansen also had his hands on his pedals a lot. Have you heard from him lately? He was up there in years last I saw him.

Coker Wheelman

If you can believe their website, Coker is also updating their Wheelman 36"
penny farthing.

Not in a while, probably last time I saw him was at one of the Moab Muni Fests. But we have NAUCC in the West again this year, and hopefully we will see him there! :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of your bikes a few times in the past, but had no idea you were making a full on drop-bar roadie version! That thing looks insane. See guys, THIS is why we need a skinny 36" tyre :smiley: At the moment it’s more of a Monstercross (Super-Monster?)

Yes! Skinny 36" tires, please, or 42" for that matter. I’m sure David36er and the other makers of 36" bikes would agree. Thanks to them, the market for these wheels will continue to grow, and hopefully lead to more choices in rims and tires.

Well I’m not at all into skinny tires so honestly the Light TA that is on the DirtySixer Road version is the skinniest I’d wish for my riders. More volume is better for our application. It’s not just a question of taste but a question of comfort for riders that are sometime heavy and very often not very flexible (injuries goes from busted ankles, knees, hips and back issues). So if I ever get the chance to make new tires it will be at least this width or more and round like a BigOne from Schwabble. This will also means more contact patch and better traction… 42". Nope. Thanks

Thanks! Yes the Road version is a different geometry, and of course drop bars: I am trying to get custom ones made, but again tooling cost and new molds are expensive. And same answer: I do not wish for anything narrower than the TA Light on it now.