šŸ“œ [Wiki] Unicycle vocabulary in every language

Hereā€™s a wiki to list all the unicycle vocabulary in any language. Copy-paste any existing language and just replace the words with proper ones. Make sure languages are listed alphabetically (except from English, that is). A lot of words need to be added. But we need to put them in multiple tabs since too many words on a single line will create a horizontal scrolling bar :slight_smile:

Note: this presentation is a suggestion and if can of course be discussed and modified!

:gb: English Unicycle Seat/Saddle Handle Seatpost Frame
:netherlands: Dutch Eenwieler Zadel Handvat Zadelpen Frame
:fr: French Monocycle Selle PoignƩe Tige de selle Cadre
:de: German Einrad Sattel Griff SattelstĆ¼tze Rahmen
:norway: Norwegian Enhjulssykkel Sete HĆ„ndtak Setepinne Ramme
:gb: English Wheel Tire/Tyre Rim Spoke Hub Axle
:netherlands: Dutch Wiel Band Velg Spaak Naaf As
:fr: French Roue Pneu Jante Rayon Moyeu Axe
:de: German Rad Reifen Felge Speiche Nabe Achse
:norway: Norwegian Hjul Dekk Felg Eike Nav Aksling
:gb: English Crank Pedal Bumper Clamp
:netherlands: Dutch Crank Pedaal Bumper Zadelklem
:fr: French Manivelle PĆ©dale Bumper Collier de serrage
:de: German Kurbel Pedal Schutzecke Sattelklemme
:norway: Norwegian Krank Pedal StĆøtfanger Setepinneklemme

Subparts and accessories (?):

:gb: English Brake Lever Disk Brake Rim Brake Bearing
:netherlands: Dutch Rem Remhendel Schijfrem Velgrem (Kogel-)Lager
:fr: French Frein Levier Frein Ć  disque Frein Ć  patins Roulement
:de: German Bremse Bremshebel Scheibenbremse Felgenbremse (Kugel-)Lager
:norway: Norwegian Brems Bremsehendel Skivebrems Felgbrems Kulelager
9 Likes

Inspired by French: Terms for unicycle / unicycling :smiley:

Great idea! Iā€™m sometimes looking for specific terms and I canā€™t find how they are translated from French to English or from English to French.

In addition, editing a wiki for the first time earns you a badge! :laughing:

1 Like

Should I add alternative words if they are equally common? For example, Gabel/Rahmen (fork/frame) are used equally often in German, while in english frame seems to be the more common term. Might be nice for some people to know, but on the other hand, I want to also keep the table well readable.

2 Likes

Flagmania
@newuser added the Austrian and Swiss flag to the German Language.
I think that unnecessarily complicates things.
Try to think to add every flag, where english is the offical language, or to add the swiss flag to the french and italian language.

1 Like

I also think thatā€™s not necessary to put multiple flags on a single language in this context :+1:

1 Like

Added Dutch :slight_smile:

Now searching for the flagā€¦

:netherlands: got it!

1 Like

Bumper seems difficult to translate. The german word ā€œSchutzeckeā€ seems weird to me, but I looked it up on municycle.com, and they call it like this.

And another thing, I would change ā€œLeverā€ into brake lever, most translation treat it like this.

1 Like

Nice effort:

The dutch word for frame is ā€˜frameā€™, the belgian word for frame is ā€˜kaderā€™. 99% of the dutch people wonā€™t understand the word kader if you refer to it.

The dutch word for ā€˜bearingā€™ (not yet added) is ā€˜lagerā€™
The dutch word for ā€˜tubeā€™ (also not yet added) is ā€˜binnenbandā€™
The dutch word for ā€˜valveā€™ (also not yet added) is ā€˜ventielā€™
The dutch word for ā€˜brake padā€™ (also not yet added) is ā€˜remblokā€™
The dutch word for ā€˜allen keyā€™ or ā€˜hex keyā€™ (also not yet added) is ā€˜inbussleutelā€™

Sorry I donā€™t know the other languages :wink:

1 Like

I thought I speak German but thatā€™s the first time I come across the word ā€œSchutzeckeā€. But then, Iā€™m Swiss, not everyone considers what we speak German.

you call it ā€œSchutzeckliā€ instead ? :rofl:

Maybe we should change / append ā€œDiscā€ to ā€œDisc Brakeā€ and ā€œRim Brakeā€?

Oh what the heck, Iā€™ll just do it :slight_smile:

Oops, I screwed up the formatting for a short while.

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised by the Schutzecke, I never heard that word before. Not that I have a better one to offer ā€¦

Thatā€™s fine, but I would suggest appending and not replacing these. The English names for disk/disk brake and rim/rim brake are logical enough, but that might not be so in every language.

I have discussed the best term for unicycle in Norwegian before. @UniMyra and Erlend Loe settled on enhjulssykkel as the best but etthjulssykkel and enhjuling are both commonly used as well.

https://twitter.com/erlendloe/status/1245095804479705088

Translation:

The Norwegian academic dictionary has enhjulssykkel as a reference word, not etthjulssykkel.
It is also called enhjuling and not etthjuling.
I assume that the ā€œenā€ part of the word refers to the cycle (masculine) and not to the wheel (neuter). But who knows.

https://twitter.com/erlendloe/status/1259926464260161536

That said, one of the biggest newspapers here used it (etthjulssykkel) in an article about him :wink:

As did another popular news article about @UniMyra

https://www.dn.no/d2/mitt-kjoretoy/jan-erik-skogmo/sykkel/mitt-kjoretoy/-verdens-beste-fremkomstmiddel-hvis-du-ikke-skal-noe-sted/2-1-620302

Are we allowed three entries! :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™ll bow to authority and change it to enhjulssykkel, even though it pains me to write ā€œen hjulā€.

1 Like

I have decided that I have pretty much given up caring which of the 3 terms others say. Also as a non-native speaker it would not be my place to ā€œcorrectā€ a native Norwegian but for my own personal usage, when speaking or writing Norwegian I have settled on enhjulssykkel now, primarily after taking cues from how Erlend (in particular) speaks and writes.

:rofl:

In that case, :uk: :smiley:

2 Likes