Unicycle tech- what do you want to see in the next year?

Now that it’s nearing the end of the year I thought it would be interesting to make some predictions as to what we may or may not be seeing in the next year or so. I hope that this may inspire some cool stuff for next years X’mas shopping list:

1. A production epicyclic hub
  2. Unicycle group sets: Including hub, cranks, pedals seat post etc. in entry level, intermediate, racing/advanced
  3. A purpose built off-road Coker Tyre
  4. Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing- makes it easy to change crank legths
  5. A lightweight Carbon fibre KH seat

Well that’s my wishlist- anything to add? :sunglasses:

A hub, continuously variable from 2:1 to 1:2 ratio including a fixed 1:1… I’ll get right on that.

ISIS hubs and cranks.

Adjustable, aluminum, uni specific seat post, available in all common diameters.

Hub width and bearing standards for high end equipment, making it possible to mix and match quality parts regardless of manufacturer.

Uni Specific Brake levers (and shift levers).

Actually, this is just the stuff i’d like to have made available within the next year…

Awsome thread, I’ll be watching for mor ideas.

Re: Unicycle tech- what do you want to see in the next year?

In article <GizmoDuck.you40@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
GizmoDuck <GizmoDuck@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Now that it’s nearing the end of the year I thought it would be
)interesting to make some predictions as to what we may or may not be
)seeing in the next year or so. I hope that this may inspire some cool
)stuff for next years X’mas shopping list:

• Unicycle seatpost standard changed to 25.4 or 27.2 mm
  • Rail attachment becoming standard for unicycle saddles
  • Quick-release bearing holders
  • MUni-designed shoes
    -Tom
  1. Adjustable cranks (120-160mm) that really work.

2. A gizmo that allows me to use my HS33 brake as either a drag or a normal brake.

3. 125mm Profile or similar cranks…

4. …to go on a great 29" Muni - my nighttime 24 Hour dream machine.

5. Not unicycle-specific, but a new lighting system

6. MORE TIME TO RIDE IN MORE PLACES WITH MORE PEOPLE!

—Nathan

Qu ax are splined 125mm.

Cheap adjustable cranks even if they weigh a lot would be great.

A switchable geared hub would be super too.

Joe

I had hoped to have this done by now. The overseas manufacturer I was dealing with has produced hubs and frames for a Blue Shift-like unicycle but the quality was just unacceptable. I have recently submitted another design spec set to a different manufacturer. I hope to get a bid within a couple weeks. I spent almost one year exactly with the previous company. I’m still trying.

> 1) A production epicyclic hub

I think we’ll see that as soon as Harper works out the production details.

> 2) Unicycle group sets: Including hub, cranks, pedals seat
> post etc. in entry level, intermediate, racing/advanced

I wouldn’t hold my breath there. Very little market for that. Though we read tons about it here, the majority of the unicycle market mostly buys one and rides it.

> 3) A purpose built off-road Coker Tyre

This would be cool, but again I don’t think there is enough market. If Coker (or someone else) were to make a second tire, I would urge them to make a lighter, thinner road tire. The basic 36" tire is good for all-around, but I think road riders outnumber the off-roaders.

> 4) Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing
> - makes it easy to change crank legths

Weight makes cranks hard to change? I actually thought those cranks, being hollow, were fairly light already. Taking weight away might reduce the reason for having splined; making them weaker.

> 5) A lightweight Carbon fibre KH seat

I think there are plans for this one, but they probably won’t be cheap!

> Adjustable, aluminum, uni specific seat post, available
> in all common diameters.

I think seat posts is the area with the most potential for improvement and growth in unicycling. Aluminum would be a nice step, and working out the addition of handles and other accessories without adding more stress on the seat.

> Hub width and bearing standards for high end
> equipment, making it possible to mix and match
> quality parts regardless of manufacturer.

This is a great long-term goal. I don’t know if manufacturers can be made to care what their competitors are making, but it sure would be nice.

> Rail attachment becoming standard for unicycle saddles

This would be handy but probably not likely in the near future, as only a small minority of us need such things. Rails allow for good tilt adjustment, and hopefully the posts that go with them will suppport the weight and strain of handles and other accessory holders.

> MUni-designed shoes

Those would really be cool. I don’t know how much interest you need before a manufacturer makes shoes for your sport. First we’d have to agree on what kind of shoes we need. I prefer turf shoes. My advice for people these days is to try your local Nike factory outlet if there is one. I got some nice shoes there.

> Adjustable cranks (120-160mm) that really work

Those would be awesome for road riding. I don’t know about adjustable cranks being viable for MUni though. You’d probably have to decide between weight and adjustability.

> 125mm Profile or similar cranks…

…to fit the non-Qu-Ax hubs. Are they compatible?

> MORE TIME TO RIDE IN MORE PLACES WITH MORE PEOPLE!

Amen.

For me?

• The broadening of available choices in 700c unicycles. For road, track, and MUni.

• Better seat posts. The seats are fine. We keep breaking them because we’re putting too much stress on the fronts of our seats. Put this stress on the post, and seats can be made to weigh only half as much.

• Easier ways for people to get their unicycling questions answered, whether they be about what to buy, how to modify it, how to ride, etc. I’ll be working on this.

• An amazing UNICON in Japan!

Re: Re: Unicycle tech- what do you want to see in the next year?

No- but I find my KH splined cranks relatively quick and easy to unscrew with a couple of allen keys. No need for a crank puller and less likely to wear out the threads on the crank nut/axle.

I have not weighed my KH hub but I’m sure it’s as heavy as it looks. The point is that splined hubs cranks are stronger, so they can be made to be lighter than an equivalent cotterless hub. No point having a beefy hub able to take 5 foot drops if you are riding it on road/XC MUNi.

A 29er off-road tire in the 2.3 to 2.5 inch range would be great.

A unicycle specific brake lever or a better way to mount a bike brake lever.

Mojoe

Can I go on your waiting list? :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion that would be to unicycling what suspension is to mountainbiking. If you to get the epicyclic hub into production you should be indicted into the Unicycle Hall of Fame :sunglasses: .

I like my technology to be useful but simple so I’d like to see some adjustable cranks like the ones available for tandems.

A range of 125-150 mm would be good for me.

What did they do wrong? I remember that most of the parts of your hub are standard parts?

That does not sound very funny. Good luck with your current manufacturer.

Juergen

whoops;edit

I agree that standard unicycle seatposts leave a lot to be desired. I’ve lost count of the number I’ve bent and had to have repaired. If rails came as an integrated part of uni seats (similar to how bike seats have rails) it would be great - then all you’d need is a bike seatpost of the correct diameter and you’d be away laughing.

-Tony

Except for people with legs that barely fit the unicycle. Rails and the extra hardware on the seatpost lose 2" or so of vertical space and lower the pool of potential riders for a given wheel size. In general, this is not a problem for bicycles.

I’d like a wide flange Profile hub for my Hunter36.

• Frank

i’d like to have a unicycle.com on the west coast

ditto.

Wouldn’t it just be easier for you to move to the east coast and go to work for them. The way you go through Unicycles, I am sure the discount would be a great benefit. Besides then we could blame you if we had shipping mistakes.:smiley:

Re: Re: Re: Unicycle tech- what do you want to see in the next year?

I’m sorry :slight_smile: …but this is a great faux pas. I had to laugh.

B