Unicycle Speed Record

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

Wow, high speed gliding on a motorcycle? I like that! My high speed on a uni is
at 25.6mph (41.2 km/h), gliding down a huge hill in West Lafayette, IN. Check
out http://shay.ecn.purdue.edu/~bymaster/muni/hsg.html

Arne should try gliding downhill that fast. Its a real rush! My goal in down
hill gliding was to break 25mph on a race-legal unicycle. So I did it on a
Miyata 24" w/ 5.5" cranks and pedals attached. Its a real disadvantage to have
the cranks on, because they cause the unicycle to oscillate at high speeds
(>19mph). But it was my goal to do it on regular uni, and that I did. I’ve
thought about putting together a glid-a-cycle. It would have a 26" weighted
wheel (heavy rim, and possibly spokes w/ small weights on them), and a very very
light frame with a special place to put your foot. A heavier wheel helps
stabilize the uni while your gliding, and of course, lets you glide farther
because there’s more momentum in the wheel. I’m pretty sure that I could glide
at over 30mph unassisted with such a setup, but I’m afraid that I’ll remove a
major body part in the process. So I think I stay content with 25…unless
Guiness calls.

Brett Bymaster bymaster@purdue.edu http://shay.ecn.purdue.edu/~bymaster

At 09:17 AM 3/31/99 +0200, Lars Burgstahler wrote:
>Hi,
>
>are there any personal records for 24" unis? I did 22.6 km/h last week. I
>guess, that’s not very fast, but than, it’s on a 24".
>
>Arne Braunbeck from Germany maybe holds the record for non-pedaling. He calls
>his technique power-gliding, i.e. he is dragged by a motorcycle. The motorider
>was Klaus Bartl from Munich, Germany. They fix a rope at the moto and while
>Arne is wheel-walking (with the pedals removed), Klaus gently starts to ride.
>Arne switches to gliding when the speed increases. Their record so far is
>somewhere between 50 and 60km/h (how many miles? About 40mph I guess). This was
>also done by Dirty (David) from Frankfurt, Germany, (also with Klaus) but as
>far as I know, Arne was the first. I believe there was a photo in an old
>Cascade (European Juggling Magazine) two years ago.
>
>lars
>
>
>–
>Lars Burgstahler Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering
>University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 47, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany Tel:
>(+49) 711 685 7966 Fax: (+49) 711 685 7983 E-Mail:
>burgstahler@ind.uni-stuttgart.de
>
>When was the last time you were flabbergasted? CIRCOMIQUE
>

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

“Foss, JohnX” wrote:

> > That blows me away! That’s amazing! Do you think that high speed gliding
> > could be done with a very thick tire (maybe studded) on compact snow?
>
> NO!

Yes…

the control if anything is better for me.

Roger

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

Can’t glide at all but I have a motorcycle that will do 40mph in first gear. I’d
happily pull anyone around who would like to go for a power glide.

Tammy Marsh wrote:

> re: motorcycle pulling uni:
> > Their record so far is somewhere between 50 and 60km/h (how many miles?
> > About 40mph I guess).
>
> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
>
> Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

Yep I saw one being riden at cyclefest a few years ago, the UK celebration of
non dimond frame cycles. Leeds and Lunis were there for a uni hockey match and
unis did very well in agility competions. The scoot cycle looked painfull as it
inflicted several brusies and gashes on its owner. It was just front forks and
wheel with BMX pegs on the axel. sarah

Foss, JohnX (johnx.foss@intel.com) wrote:
i: > Could a “glide-a-cycle” be made with a conventional bicycle wheel and BMX[/i]
i: > forks, with BMX axel pegs attached to each side of the axel?[/i]

i: That’s the ticket, and no good unicycle parts would be wasted in the process![/i]
i: Only drawback is you can’t pedal it back up the hill.[/i]

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

Greetings

In message “RE: Unicycle Speed Record”, Foss, JohnX wrote…
>> Does anyone know if there is a unicycle speed record? If there is do you
>> know what it is? I am curious because I got a 28" uni yesterday for my
>> birthday, adn was able to go 22.7 m.p.h on it today.
>
>A few years ago Floyd Beattie, a former 100 mile Guinness record holder, set
>some speed marks. This was at an IHPVA (International Human Powered Vehicle
>Association) convention in Indianapolis. He set an hour mark, which I
>believe was just slightly under 15 miles, and also did their 200 meter speed
>trap. This is how they measure top speed. If they do it like they do for
>automotive land speed records, you have to ride the 200 meters in both
>directions, to cancel out any wind effects. I don’t remember the times, but
>the speed he did was about the same as yours. He was riding either a 40" or
>45" big wheel, I believe.

I have always thought that Floyd reached a momentary speed of 52 kph. I
know this is incrdible, but I think we once discussed it and you confirmed.
So is it true?

(BTW, the fastest speed on a bicycle is an incrdib le 230 kph or so riding
behind a car with a windshield)

>So anyway, 22.7 (36.5 kph) is pretty darn fast for a unicycle, so
>congratulations! Not as fast as Brett Bymaster gliding down a hill, but
>non-pedaling records should be separate. Hope you were wearing lots of safety
>equipment! If you can’t make it to nationals this year, hopefully we will at
>least get to see you there next year (in Michigan). But we’ll make you ride a
>24" on the track…
>
>Back when I had a Cateye Solar on my racing uni (and when I used to practice
>for races), the highest max. speed I ever recorded on the Cateye with my 24"
>was 17.5 mph (that’s 28.16 kph).
>
>Stay on top,
>
>John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com
>

Stay on top, Jack Halpern, IUF Vice President Website: http://www.kanji.org

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

That blows me away! That’s amazing! Do you think that high speed gliding could
be done with a very thick tire (maybe studded) on compact snow?

-Kris

At 08:19 AM 4/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>
>Wow, high speed gliding on a motorcycle? I like that! My high speed on a uni is
>at 25.6mph (41.2 km/h), gliding down a huge hill in West Lafayette, IN. Check
>out http://shay.ecn.purdue.edu/~bymaster/muni/hsg.html
>
>Arne should try gliding downhill that fast. Its a real rush! My goal in down
>hill gliding was to break 25mph on a race-legal unicycle. So I did it on a
>Miyata 24" w/ 5.5" cranks and pedals attached. Its a real disadvantage to have
>the cranks on, because they cause the unicycle to oscillate at high speeds
>(>19mph). But it was my goal to do it on regular uni, and that I did. I’ve
>thought about putting together a glid-a-cycle. It would have a 26" weighted
>wheel (heavy rim, and possibly spokes w/ small weights on them), and a very
>very light frame with a special place to put your foot. A heavier wheel helps
>stabilize the uni while your gliding, and of course, lets you glide farther
>because there’s more momentum in the wheel. I’m pretty sure that I could glide
>at over 30mph unassisted with such a setup, but I’m afraid that I’ll remove a
>major body part in the process. So I think I stay content with 25…unless
>Guiness calls.
>
> Brett Bymaster bymaster@purdue.edu http://shay.ecn.purdue.edu/~bymaster
>
>At 09:17 AM 3/31/99 +0200, Lars Burgstahler wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>are there any personal records for 24" unis? I did 22.6 km/h last week. I
>>guess, that’s not very fast, but than, it’s on a 24".
>>
>>Arne Braunbeck from Germany maybe holds the record for non-pedaling. He calls
>>his technique power-gliding, i.e. he is dragged by a motorcycle. The motorider
>>was Klaus Bartl from Munich, Germany. They fix a rope at the moto and while
>>Arne is wheel-walking (with the pedals removed), Klaus gently starts to ride.
>>Arne switches to gliding when the speed increases. Their record so far is
>>somewhere between 50 and 60km/h (how many miles? About 40mph I guess). This
>>was also done by Dirty (David) from Frankfurt, Germany, (also with Klaus) but
>>as far as I know, Arne was the first. I believe there was a photo in an old
>>Cascade (European Juggling Magazine) two years ago.
>>
>>lars
>>
>>
>>–
>>Lars Burgstahler Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering
>>University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 47, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany Tel:
>>(+49) 711 685 7966 Fax: (+49) 711 685 7983 E-Mail:
>>burgstahler@ind.uni-stuttgart.de
>>
>>When was the last time you were flabbergasted? CIRCOMIQUE
>>
>>
>


Kris Holm, B.Sc. Geologist, Forestry Group, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
Suite 550, Sun Life Plaza, 1100 Melville Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6E 4A6
Tel:(604) 685-0275 Fax:(604) 684-6241 Email: kholm@eba.ca

Re: Unicycle Speed Record

Brett,

I can’t glide, period (yet), but I was wondering:

Could a “glide-a-cycle” be made with a conventional bicycle wheel and BMX forks,
with BMX axel pegs attached to each side of the axel?

-Kris.

I’ve thought about putting together a glid-a-cycle.
>It would have a 26" weighted wheel (heavy rim, and possibly spokes w/ small
>weights on them), and a very very light frame with a special place to put your
>foot. A heavier wheel helps stabilize the uni while your gliding, and of
>course, lets you glide farther because there’s more momentum in the wheel. I’m
>pretty sure that I could glide at over 30mph unassisted with such a setup, but
>I’m afraid that I’ll remove a major body part in the process. So I think I stay
>content with 25…unless Guiness calls.
>
> Brett Bymaster bymaster@purdue.edu http://shay.ecn.purdue.edu/~bymaster
>
>At 09:17 AM 3/31/99 +0200, Lars Burgstahler wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>are there any personal records for 24" unis? I did 22.6 km/h last week. I
>>guess, that’s not very fast, but than, it’s on a 24".
>>
>>Arne Braunbeck from Germany maybe holds the record for non-pedaling. He calls
>>his technique power-gliding, i.e. he is dragged by a motorcycle. The motorider
>>was Klaus Bartl from Munich, Germany. They fix a rope at the moto and while
>>Arne is wheel-walking (with the pedals removed), Klaus gently starts to ride.
>>Arne switches to gliding when the speed increases. Their record so far is
>>somewhere between 50 and 60km/h (how many miles? About 40mph I guess). This
>>was also done by Dirty (David) from Frankfurt, Germany, (also with Klaus) but
>>as far as I know, Arne was the first. I believe there was a photo in an old
>>Cascade (European Juggling Magazine) two years ago.
>>
>>lars
>>
>>
>>–
>>Lars Burgstahler Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering
>>University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 47, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany Tel:
>>(+49) 711 685 7966 Fax: (+49) 711 685 7983 E-Mail:
>>burgstahler@ind.uni-stuttgart.de
>>
>>When was the last time you were flabbergasted? CIRCOMIQUE
>>
>>
>


Kris Holm, B.Sc. Geologist, Forestry Group, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
Suite 550, Sun Life Plaza, 1100 Melville Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6E 4A6
Tel:(604) 685-0275 Fax:(604) 684-6241 Email: kholm@eba.ca

RE: Unicycle Speed Record

Hello!!!

>A few years ago Floyd Beattie, a former 100 mile Guinness record holder, set
>some speed marks. This was at an IHPVA (International Human Powered Vehicle
>Association) convention in Indianapolis. He set an hour mark, which I
>believe was just slightly under 15 miles, and also did their 200 meter speed
>trap. This is how they measure top speed. If they do it like they do for
>automotive land speed records, you have to ride the 200 meters in both
>directions, to cancel out any wind effects. I don’t remember the times, but
>the speed he did was about the same as yours. He was riding either a 40" or
>45" big wheel, I believe.
>
I was just doing a short sprint to see fast I could reach, not
nessacarly(?) maintain.

>So anyway, 22.7 (36.5 kph) is pretty darn fast for a unicycle, so
>congratulations! Not as fast as Brett Bymaster gliding down a hill, but
>non-pedaling records should be separate. Hope you were wearing lots of safety
>equipment! If you can’t make it to nationals this year, hopefully we will at
>least get to see you there next year (in Michigan). But we’ll make you ride a
>24" on the track…

Sorry, but no safty equipment at all, not even a helmet. I also won’t be making
it this year, but next year you can bet I’ll be there, even if I have to ride
all the way there!!
>
>Back when I had a Cateye Solar on my racing uni (and when I used to practice
>for races), the highest max. speed I ever recorded on the Cateye with my 24"
>was 17.5 mph (that’s 28.16 kph).
>
That’s probably faster than what I could do on a 24", but I don’t know since I
don’t have one.

                                            Chris Cline MUni-Cow

RE: Unicycle Speed Record

At 02:55 PM 3/30/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> Sorry, but no safty equipment at all, not even a helmet.
>
>So will he learn by being smart, or the Bloodman way? Maybe that would make a
>better Bicycling Magazine poll?
>
So far the worst injury I have had was either skinning my hands, or cutting my
finger. Hoping that nothing worse will happen since I have no plans of wearing
safty gear in the future.

                                            Chris Cline MUni-Cow