unicycle security

unicycle security

Has anyone figured out anyway to lock up a unicycle? I want to use my future 24 incher to ride to school but I don’t think I can take it into my classes. I was wondering if there is any way to lock it to a b*ke rack.

I had a couple ideas, but I’m not sure if they would work.

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel,

I’m in the exact same situation as you. I’m getting a custom 24" unicycle built and I want a dafe way to lock it up. I’d really like to ride it to school every now and then (I say every now and then because it’s 10km away and it’d be pretty tiring) but I don’t know how to lock it up. I was thinking of wrapping the chain through the wheel and then really tightly around the frame so it couldn’t move at all.

I think I’m a bit paranoid though because when I think about it, I realise that there’s more risk of getting parts of my bike (I don’t say b*ke becase I love riding my bike as well - I’m sorry but it’s true:) ) stolen. People could easily steal one wheel and the seat and seatpost at least from my bike and it doesn’t bother me. Maybe the unicycle would attract theives more though…I hate theives.

Anyway, good luck and please tell me if you come up with any more ideas,
Andrew Carter

unicycle security

C’mon, Daniel!

You live in Paradise!

Which angel is gonna steal your uni? :wink:

Seriously, though…

Get a good lock that’s easy to carry, lock the wheel to the rack, and take your saddle and post with you. You can stuff the saddle in a bag, and shove it in your locker with your helmet… (you DO wear a helmet, doncha?).

Re: unicycle security

I might be stupid but wouldn’t a chain through the
wheel do the trick? It’s worked for me in the past,
though I usually prefer to take the uni with me and
dump it a corner.

Anold the Aardvark

The problem with being the Witchfinder
General is that you have to keep finding
witches, or you’re out of a job.

• Colin McClernon

I suppose that if you don’t have any quick-release clamps or anything like that then it’d be fine to just chain the wheel.

I take mine onto campus with a fairly hefty cable lock. Stick it through the wheel and round a solid object (a b*ke rack works well, unsurprisingly) and it’s going nowhere.

It does have the advantage that with a normal bike doing this may well mean someone nicks all but the front wheel; with a unicycle you’re a bit safer as everything but the wheel doesn’t add up to much… :slight_smile:

A unicycle should be quite safe, mind; if it’s not where you left it it’ll be a few metres away, where the thief dropped it after giving up… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

hahaha…that’s a good one!

> A unicycle should be quite safe, mind; if it’s not where you left it
> it’ll be a few metres away, where the thief dropped it after giving
> up… :slight_smile:

There’s something in this:

One of my former colleagues had a car in which the gearbox was
so hard to use that no one else could drive it. It was stolen once, and
dumped about 100 yards down the road.

Anold the Aardvark

If there’s one word that sums up
everything that’s gone wrong since
the War, it’s workshop.

• Kingsley Amis

unicycle security

Along that same line of thought, what about a pair of these quick release pedals as “can’t ride it away” security?

Here’s the vendor link:

For me. one of the great things about doing local errands on my 26" Sem is that I take it with me and don’t have to bother with the hassels of b**e security. Perhaps a little energy in cultivating a place for your uni to stay (teacher’s closet, cleaning closet, etc.) would help with the problem for regular places that you visit.

When I do have to leave my uni out, I use my U-shaped lock (through the fork and to something stationary, if possible) AND a heffty cable that I use when I can’t get the U-lock around something stationary.

You will always expose your uni to valdalism if you leave it out but, I think that the U-lock is a deterrent (only a deterrent) to it being rip-off. After all, being on the uni, riding it, is only a deterrent. If some armed thug shows-up and demands my uni or my life - he’s got a cool uni. Nothing is fail-safe.

Tommy

I’m on my way to college right now, upon my 26" MUni.

At first, I didn’t want to lock it out side. Then, I realized I wasn’t riding my uni to school like I could. I lock it up. I’m bring my camera today, and take some shots of my clever locking.

It’s a Kryponite lock from walmart for $20cdn.

I haven’t tried this, but if you pull your seat and take it with you, perhaps a cable lock will fit down the seat tube, loop thru the wheel, and then wrap around a secure object. Some u-locks might be long enough to fit down the tube, too, but leaves the wheel unprotected.

The only slightly annoying thing is that on a bike the lock lives on the bike; no such mount on the uni means that every now and then I forget it, and it’s a pain to go back or carry it around with me all the time.

I’m about to go onto campus with it in a minute; with lock, and plastic bag to go over the seat, as it’s tipping it down… :frowning:

On the plus side, (a) I get to show off with an umbrella, and (b) on the way back blasting down muddy tracks is such good fun… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Well, if you’re getting a custom uni built, and you’re paranoid about security, you could always get a couple of rings welded to the forks, through which one of the arms of a u-lock could be passed…

Keep in mind that Consumer Reports has determined that there’s not lock on the market today which a professional thief can’t break in under 30 seconds. But I think the thief is more likely to go after the big fish (b*kes) instead.

-Jon

I use a 6’ piece of thin coated wire. Used on sailboats to hold up the aft end of the boom (topping lift). $5 including the thimbles and crimping, at a marine chandlery. Very light, I keep it along with a tiny padlock in an underseat bag on the muni. I still have my ride :wink:

Cheers, Greg

> The only slightly annoying thing is that on a bike the lock lives on the
> bike; no such mount on the uni means that every now and then I forget
> it, and it’s a pain to go back or carry it around with me all the
> time.

This is demonstrably false on Grendel: a chain wrapped around the seatpost
and padlocked there can’t sag to hit the wheel because of the quick-release
handle. Also, the frame (fork?) is of course thicker than the seatpost, so
a TIGHTLY wrapped chain wouldn’t sag to the wheel even if you didn’t have a
quick-release handle.

I got used to carrying a chain for bike security while bike commuting in
Chicago - multiple uses…

Theoretically, I like the put-it-in-a-bag-and-sling-it-over-your-shoulder solution.

Let’s do an experiment. Let’s donate a few bucks each to David Stone (if he’s willing) and have him park a cheap unicycle with no lock at the bike rack at the school where he works (if they have one) in Manhattan. I wonder if anyone would steal it.

OT: Re: unicycle security

When I was 4 and 5 (1965-1966) years old we lived on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village where my folks maintained something of a crash pad for various hippy types who came and went more or less unpredictably.

My father, being something of a student, albeit a naive one, of human nature decided one day to put $200 in a drawer to see if the people he and my mother kindly housed and fed would also steal from them.

Well, I don’t need to tell you what happened.

Fast forward to about the year 2000, 9 years after the death of my dad. Well, my mother finally fesses up that it was actually she who took the money, knowing full well what would have happened anyway, but not wanting to tell my dad what an idiot he was.

Ok, perhaps to keep this On-Topic: Greg - I’ll keep my dough for other things. My mom doesn’t live that far from where David works. - :smiley:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

unicycle security

I seem to remember that David did have a uni (his own) stolen already, presumably in NYC.

Pssst! Raphael! This is your big chance to get a new uni! Encourage everyone to take up Greg’s suggestion, then, using your mom’s place as a base, wait for your chance to strike!