unicycle luggage rack?

Sorry about picture quality, got a cheapie camara phone.
The front mounting bike rack has a built in angle to fit on slanted forks, but this works fine on uni brake mounts as seen in picture. Comes out level. The nail bag holds my cable and keeps the load back far enough that my legs don’t touch. I carry a canvas lunch bag and big stainless thermos on it everyday to work. I prefer it to a backpack for going to work. Backpack makes me sweat. Don’t like being all clammy at work.:smiley:

0511131055.jpg

0511131056a.jpg

0511131057.jpg

Sweet, thanks!

Time for another bump me thinks.

Thanks to the pics from jona I also decided one of these cheapie racks looked like the right solution.
It’s bit smaller than I originally anticipated (but nicely so) and the bag I ended up getting is larger than was advertised (a little annoyingly so) but I like it.

Regarding mounting, after hours of trying to work out how to do it I ended up modifying the quick release clamp for a handlebar mounted bottle cage and drilling an extra hole in the rack to screw them together.

I only had some little spacers in my box of unicycle bits (maybe 8mm) so my rack is rather off level and this also isn’t helped by the size of the quick release clamp.
I’m going to get some larger spacers and possibly cut the clamp down a bit more, but I’ll be happy with it being on a bit of a slant.

On the subject of rubbing - I haven’t yet been out on a ride with the rack and bag on the back, but due to how far back it actually starts to stick out, I can’t imagine I’ll have a problem.
The triangle bag at the front rubs slightly if I put any more than my wallet, keys and phone in it but generally it’s fine.

Oh, there’s also a slight issue regarding my current rear light placement.

Edit:
This is my 1000th post!
I hadn’t realised I’d posted that much.

Looks good.
I fiddled with my rear light until I put it down on the leg. Problem solved.
The rack also allows a way to mount a fender close to the tire, without using valuble seatpost space.

Yes, the side of the frame is likely going to be the solution as I don’t fancy buying a new light.

I might look into a mudguard in future if I find I ever ride it in the wet.

found this today: http://www.xootr.com/crossrack-seatpost-bike-rack.html

It’s a little wide, but looks like it could work quite well for unicycle touring. The angle of the rack can be adjusted, which is nice. Accepts normal panniers too. Plus if you drop it the bag itself (and contents) would cushion any impact to the rack itself.

Interesting idea anyway. May have to give it a shot for commuting. Thoughts?

The Sherpa Tout Terrain rack from Peter White Cycles looked even better, but that thing is $140, which is pretty impractical.

I’d be concerned about possible play/rattle with that locking pin situation but apart from that it looks worth a shot.
Mounting might be tricky if you have a large/tall bag on it though. That Sherpa one looks even worse in that regard so I’m not convinced it would actually be any good for unicycles.

If you do go for it, let us know how it goes!

I guess I should probably update on my set-up as it’s been a while.

It worked well in the summer, making the sweaty back a thing of the past. In the winter I found that although it was good at catching spray off the tyre (no mudguard required), I was pretty happy wearing a backpack and went touring/on longer rides so infrequently it wasn’t worth keeping it attached.

The plastic on the bottom of the bag I had on the back also started to fall apart pretty quickly so that one’s definitely not recommended.

I suspect when the weather gets warmer again I’ll re-attach it, albeit with a new bag as I gave the old one away.

Looks interesting, and would be good to use with a standard backpack maybe?

My only issue I think is that with your bag being mounted vertically you’d need more vertical space, which is at a premium on a 36er unless youre 6+ feet tall!

There are a few new designs cropping up on the cheap crappy Amazon rack market too - check this out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RU0E9VY?keywords=seatpost%20rack&qid=1454862091&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Seatpost clamp AND little legs to attach to your frame like a Thule? Could be better than the ones that are seatpost-only.

You’d need to cut off and re-weld the angle where it attaches to the seatpost otherwise the back of the rack would be pointing towards the sky. It’s a problem frequently encountered with seapost mudguards too - bike seatposts are never as vertical as those on unicycles.

Which would become even more apparent when you’re leaning forward to pedal fast! :astonished: