Unicycle literature

Howdy,
Just getting back into uni after a long hiatus, and enjoying the forums - so much time-wasting potential! So now that I am officially fixated, was wondering if folks know of any longer-format reading on the subject of unicycling? History, culture, anecdotes, vernacular… philosophy? I just read a great book (The Most Fun Thing by Kyle Beachy) that looked at skateboarding from a variety of standpoints, including the philosophical, and really enjoyed it. I thought, unicycling deserves such a treatment for being a similarly niche sport with an outsized power and meaning to the folks who participate in it. Then I thought, maybe there already is one? If not, someone here needs to get busy writing it!

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dave

3 Likes

Three books that come to mind which look at things from different perspectives (I think I have couple of other ones too which I’d have to dig out). I’ve read the first two of these completely, the third not so much:

1. The Essential Guide to Mountain Unicycling – Kris Holm.
    This doesn’t seem to be available in hardcopy any more (you can maybe pick up used). It used to be on Kris’s web site as an ebook if I recall correctly.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kris-Holm-Essential-Mountain-Unicycling/dp/B0185SZD5K
    (edit: ebook – http://gradientpress.com/ )

2. Reinventing the Wheel – the Story of unicycle.com – John Drummond
    Reinventing the Wheel: The Story of Unicycle.com: By the Founder of Unicycle.com and Banjo.com: Amazon.co.uk: McLean, Carol Etter: 9781439271872: Books

3. The Complete Book of Unicycling – Jack Wiley
    The Complete Book of Unicycling: Second Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Wiley, Jack: 9781508837046: Books

4 Likes

Find Current and Historical Publications back to 1973 here:

https://uniusa.org/Publications

Erlend Loe- “Ett år på ett hjul, forhandla med verkligheten” (one year on one wheel, negotiating with reality). 2020.

Just learn norwegian and enjoy:).

2 Likes

Thanks, I imagine that’s even harder than learning to unicycle :wink:

Thank you! was not familiar with this organization. Too bad they had to discontinue publishing.

How is the book, have you read it? I see they have his ‘Naive Super’ on Audible, I may give it a listen. I watched him unicycle on You Tube, he has a fine beard :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been looking for the paperback version of Kris Holm’s “The Essential Guide”.
I own the E-book, but I’d love one for the real bookshelf. …Not for 75 USD though!

1 Like

It’s here for around 20 USD:

1 Like

Yes I have read it several times! He is one of my favourites and I have read all his other novels. They all have a reflective and humerous tone I like. “Naive Super” was his big hit.
The unicycling book is a about approaching it as an adult beginner. How the impossible turns possible and his developing love for the only wheel.
I was expecting a revolutionary demand for unis in Norway/Scandinavia since he is fairly well read. And maybe it has been in Norway? But yet to come in Sweden where I live. A sadly underdeveloped unicycling country.

1 Like