Unicycle Hire - would you have done it when learning?

With the type of basic unicycles I’m currently be planning on loaning out, I don’t think that would be too much of a concern on my end. None of them are new and although I may well have them all freshly painted (for identification purposes and to smarten them up), scratches are to be expected, and the occasional bent/broken pedal etc.

Pictures and a good description of normal wear and tear is something I’ll think about doing as you’re right that some people will worry, especially if it arrives to them new and they’re not used to the amount of abuse that unicycles get when you’re learning! It is quite different to a bike where you’d generally not be expected to drop it, scratch it or damage the paintwork.

Yesterday Jackass the Movie was on the telly. There the guy rented a car and did a Derby with it and then brought the car back all smashed up. He figured the renting company with the insurance should pay for it. I was glad I wasn’t the renting company there.

wow free for Norwegians, but foreigners have to pay. Sounds like attractions in Thailand where foreigners have to pay a steep price for everything, while Thai don’t pay anything or very little.
Couldn’t find anything on the site in the rules about what to do when you damage the goods.

It’s pretty standard to have some restrictions on library services for foreigners, as they’re normally a public service paid for and intended for residents.
Typically proof of address is required to become a member/get a library card in the UK.

Is that not similar in the Netherlands?

No, you don’t have to be norwegian, but you do have to have an address in Norway so they know where to send the torpedo (man with baseball bat) if you don’t return the stuff. You could actually borrow a baseball bat yourself. Bet they haven’t thought of that.

1 Like

Where i live in Pittsburgh, Pa, Thick bikes runs a great event on Friday night’s during the summer called unicycles are a thing. Chris from Thick bikes towes a trailer full of unicycles of all sizes behind his bike and parks it below the Haufbrau house along a busy bike and walking trail on Pittsburgh’s south side, here he invites people passing by to try a unicycle., an awesome opportunity for adults and kids to give it a try. There are railings where you can hold on and safely pedal, you would be surprised at how many people will give it a shot. Note this was pre covid. May be you could find a spot to do something similar.

Incidentally I bought a Nimbus 26er muni off of them that they used at these events. I love it it fits me like a glove

1 Like

The reason I mention this is, if your intention is to
Promote unicycling , this is a great way to do it. As an end result you may sell a few or rent as you initially Intended. Check with bike shops that rent bikes for advise on rental agreements.

I wonder if you might be able to get some corporate or private sponsors as well. Choose a good name and maybe see if someone or someorg with deep pockets might be able to help.

ok it can be that you need to have an adresss in NL to get books from the library, but it is not for free. Nothing in this bloody country is free. But for instance museums and parks in Thailand are free for natives but not for foreigners. When Dutch peeps want to visit museums they pay just as much as foreigners. No difference.
UniAnt, with foreigners I mean people who don’t live in the country. I don’t believe it is possible to just buy a holiday house or even a car in say Norway or Denmark while my home address is in NL.

Yes that sounds great. In the summer there are some popular sections along the canal where I could potentially park up my van full of unicycles and do such a thing. It’d be a great way to promote a club too. There are occasionally bike repair events that take place so it could perhaps be done as something alongside that.

Even just riding along the canal in the summer attracts all sorts of people interested in potentially giving it a go. I’ve forever chatting to people about it whenever I stop - often keen cyclists who see me casually riding my 36er and realise that there is more to unicycling than performance.

The Unicycles are a thing events here in Pittsburgh are along the monongahela river. I believe you can see pictures of it on facebook either on Thick bikes page or Unicycles are a thing. You should check it out.

1 Like