Unicycle games - HORSE

we played Unicycle Horse at our unicycle practice last night . Horse is
a basketball game where 2 or more players try to duplicate basketball
shots. First the order of play is established. The first player takes a
shot, if the shot is successful then the next person must duplicate that
shot exactly and so on until someone misses. When someone misses a shot
he/she is given a letter as a penalty (the first being H, the next
failure an O, and so on until the word Horse is spelled). After a miss
the next player in line can take a different shot. If everyone makes the
shot the first person takes a different shot. When any player misses 5
times - has HORSE- they are eliminated from the game. The winner is the
last person still playing without getting HORSE.

We played Unicycle HORSE the same way but did unicycle skills instead of
taking basketball shots. We started off with fairly simple skills to
give the newer riders a chance to get through a couple rounds without
getting letters, but then moved on to more difficult skills. The game
ended with Jess Riegel and Zack Baldwin (the last two riders still in)
matching one another’s trials skills.

The game was simple, fun, and I hope it will give the riders incentive
to develop new skills.

John Hooten

John

Sounds like a game I use to play called “SPUD”.
It was played with a tennis ball. Once you had all
4 letters you were out.

Why is it called HORSE ?

Great to see you posting again. I haven’t seen your name for a while.

Have you seen the “Jack” shirts ?


When I say HAM, you say SANDWICH !

Is Ashley still riding with your group ?

Cheers,
Darren

some fellow members of hell on wheel play it occasional, but they use the word “tuni” or “trials”. When they play its usually just sam, nick and john. They also do variations on certain tricks. one thing they call is “manifesto” the title of a ryan leech bike trials movie where he does no corrective hops. Thus, when “manifesto” is called, no corrective hops are used.

Oooh SPUD. I remember that. Remind us how the rules go?

actually we don’t play ‘tuni’, usually ‘trials’. We will play ‘uni’ for a real short game.

john

Re: Unicycle games - HORSE

John Hooten wrote:
> we played Unicycle Horse at our unicycle practice last night . Horse
> is a basketball game where 2 or more players try to duplicate
> basketball shots. First the order of play is established. The first
> player takes a shot, if the shot is successful then the next person
> must duplicate that shot exactly and so on until someone misses. When
> someone misses a shot he/she is given a letter as a penalty (the
> first being H, the next failure an O, and so on until the word Horse
> is spelled). After a miss the next player in line can take a
> different shot. If everyone makes the shot the first person takes a
> different shot. When any player misses 5 times - has HORSE- they are
> eliminated from the game. The winner is the last person still playing
> without getting HORSE.

That’s cute; in Chicago we used a completely different five letter word. Same
concept, though.

Re: Unicycle games - HORSE

We used to play “Horse” or “Pig” or whatever. My guess is that this game was
played by farming children.

P.S. What is Trials?

“Darren” <Darren@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Darren.142ikq@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> John
>
> Sounds like a game I use to play called “SPUD”.
> It was played with a tennis ball. Once you had all
> 4 letters you were out.
>
> Why is it called HORSE ?
>
> Great to see you posting again. I haven’t seen your name for a while.
>
> Have you seen the “Jack” shirts ?
> http://community.webshots.com/user/uni_penguin/
> When I say HAM, you say SANDWICH !
>
> Is Ashley still riding with your group ?
>
> Cheers,
> Darren
>
>
> –
> Darren - Bedford Unicycles
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Darren’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3989
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31504
>

Yes,
We used to play a game like that too, only we used a non-pronounceable word, like a generated password as PS8GZXWA -just to make it more difficult. -And aside from getting the letter, you had to drink a shot, or take off some clothing… Now that I think about it, our game was nothing like horse, but probably just as fun. Can you get pregnant playing horse?
Jer

Re: Re: Unicycle games - HORSE

good to see u back from the depth of rec.sport.juggling…
:slight_smile:

We used to play the basketball type of horse, only we called it black cow. Since I was the youngest sometimes I got to spell black and white cow, hehe. Skaters play a game called " skate" same concept, but with skating, I think playing " uni" or some other such word would be a cool game.

Andrew

Re: Unicycle games - HORSE

“jerryg” <jerryg@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:jerryg.14sezg@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> Yes,
> We used to play a game like that too, only we used a non-pronounceable
> word, like a generated password as PS8GZXWA -just to make it more
> difficult. -And aside from getting the letter, you had to drink a shot,
> or take off some clothing… Now that I think about it, our game was
> nothing like horse, but probably just as fun. Can you get pregnant
> playing horse?
> Jer

Me? No.