unicycle dots com

Have you seen Google today?
As I have a nice .ttf…

unicyclecomBraille.gif

I can’t read it too well as I can’t feel the bumps on my monitor.

Also, in the interests of avoiding spam, shouldn’t it be

:wink:

Hooked.

braile unicycle dot com.jpg

HAHA is that brail??? where did u get that??

http://www.google.com/

It’s google’s special logo for the day.

HAHA that would be an awseome tshirt too!!! i might have to do that!

Someone find a web site that translates english to brail!! then translate “unicycle”… IT would be an Awsome t-shirt… then blind people can know ur on a unicycle…

Hahahahaha!!!

Waits patiently for the penny to drop…

i think google is poking fun at the fact blind people cant use the computer

Blind people could never see you shit with the brail.

Yes, but they’d have to run their hands across your chest to read it…

I’d like to think that they are trying to raise awareness of blind people and braille.

Blind people can also surf the net (well certainly in text form anyway) with one of these:http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Braille_20Monitor

Hooked

My friend is blind and uses the internet. There is a program called Jaws, i think, That spells out what your typing or what word the mouse is over. She did online college and wrote reports on the computer. Before she was blind she was a bartender and now that she is blind she is still a bartender. Blind people use there senses more than the average person.

To clarify, google’s special image for the day is “Google” in braille. I don’t know where the unicycle people got their images.

I just typed “braille.ttf” into Google and installed the first font that I found. After that it was into Word, set the font to braille, type stuff, copy and paste into Paint shop pro and save as a jpg.

voila.jpg

UNICYCLE

Blind and deaf blind people have been using computers for years, though probably not as long as they’ve been riding unicycles. Readers of Jack Wiley’s books may remember reading about John Lizza, a blind guy Bill Jenack taught to ride in the late 1960s. I got to meet him a few times. John was also into beeper ball, which is baseball for the blind, and did electronics repair for a job. He had special tools that would help him find problem circuits using sound.

There are two main ways for blind people to use computers:

1. Text readers. These are like an expensive Speak n Spell, and read out whatever’s on the screen. They don’t like convoluted web pages though, and graphics that don’t have text to tell you what they are.

2. Braille readers. These take electronic text and convert it into a line of braille on a special reading device with a grid of pins. I guess the user reads the line and then hits a button to get the next line. This is what a deaf blind person would use.

A couple of years back I did the web site for the AADB National Convention, which was held in San Diego. That site is no longer live, but you can see a good example of a highly accessible site here:

When accessibility is the major priority, you tend to get some pretty ugly sites. This is for visually impaired people who need large text, high contrast, etc. Also the code is presented in order (not broken up by tables or divs) so it makes sense to a reading device.

Don’t mess with the blind and deaf blind. They can smell you out.

if there was a blind person on a unicycle with the big white stick would be funny

by the way i checked and today is louis brailles birthday

Which is not compliant with W3C WCAG P2 (AA) and W3C WCAG P3 (AAA)…
Check it at http://webxact3.watchfire.com/report.asp

I always tro to have unicyclist.org should be compliant with section 508, and W3C WCAG P2 (AA), of course not for the video pages. Right now I have some minor errors (some missing alt tags on images, and missing summary on tables), but else it’s AA compliant.

Why? Because I know there are blind unicyclists out there:
Apo Abrahams told me once that Yuri Abrahams many years ago was riding his uni, and passing a blind person.
That person was confused; hearing someone taking breath, but not hearing footsteps or a bike or skates or whatever, as unicycles are very silent.
So he just asked: “what is happening”. And Yuri understood the confusing, and described what was happening.
Then the blind guy asked; “can I ‘see’ the unicycle?”.
And then touched it… and suddenly asked: “can I learn to?”. So Yuri said “…yes, why not?”.
Not much later he came to a unicycle practice, and start learning.
When he made UPD’s, he never could hear very well where the unicycle dropped. So the made different bells on the ax and seat, to avoid him to falling over it.
Soon he started to be able to ride. But as he was’nt the only person there (and unicycles still are silent), they guided him by another unicycle with a unicycle with as slice
of a plastic disposable cup attached to the spokes, so that he could hear where to follow (and not hit into others -or walls!-).

I’ve never met that person, or any other blind unicyclist.
But last year I’ve suggested unicycle-workshops to a foundation that organizes all kind of events for blind people;
including riding 4x4 on rough terrain, an even riding Ferrari’s!

If s/he rides a giraffe, and have a XXL stick… and also a XXL lace for the dog!

Use a keyboard like the one below.
I just realize blind people have much more energy-friendly computers!

computermetklavier.jpg