Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Greetings fellow unicyclists, I’m considering getting a new 24" unicycle and am
interested in hearing comments about how the Miyata and Semcycle compare,
particular strengths, weaknesses, durability, whatever. Any comments
appreciated. Thanks. Joe

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

If you want a really good bike, that lasts for a long time, but are a bit heavy,
maybe you shold consider a Juno from Denmark.

I know the guy that makes them and they are great. He builds them from schratch
so you can have it cutom build if you have any special wishes.

Please mail me if you’re intrested. T-kragh@cybergirls.dk The prices vary a lot,
but a relly good one you can get for 1400 DKR. (danish currensy)

Kind regards Trine -----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: JH0963@aol.com
<JH0963@aol.com> Nyhedsgrupper: rec.sport.unicycling Dato: 15. juli 1999 06:02
Emne: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

>Greetings fellow unicyclists, I’m considering getting a new 24" unicycle and am
>interested in hearing comments about how the Miyata and Semcycle compare,
>particular strengths, weaknesses, durability, whatever. Any comments
>appreciated. Thanks. Joe

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Greetings

In message “Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle”, Trine Kragh wrote…
>If you want a really good bike, that lasts for a long time, but are a bit
>heavy, maybe you shold consider a Juno from Denmark.

Do me a favor, will you. Calling a unicycle a bike is going too far :frowning: You are
after all a unicyclist, right?

>I know the guy that makes them and they are great. He builds them from
>schratch so you can have it cutom build if you have any special wishes.
>
>Please mail me if you’re intrested. T-kragh@cybergirls.dk The prices vary a
>lot, but a relly good one you can get for 1400 DKR. (danish currensy)
>
>Kind regards Trine -----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: JH0963@aol.com
><JH0963@aol.com> Nyhedsgrupper: rec.sport.unicycling Dato: 15. juli 1999 06:02
>Emne: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle
>
>
>>Greetings fellow unicyclists, I’m considering getting a new 24" unicycle and
>>am interested in hearing comments about how the Miyata and Semcycle compare,
>>particular strengths, weaknesses, durability, whatever. Any comments
>>appreciated. Thanks. Joe
>
>
>
>
>

Stay on top, Jack Halpern, IUF Vice President Website: http://www.kanji.org

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

An English teacher would like to congratulate fellow unicyclist Trine Kragh on
her grasp of the English language. It is far and away better than my Danish.

Jed Nichols

At 08:31 16/07/99 +0900, Jack Halpern wrote:
>Greetings
>
>In message “Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle”, Trine Kragh wrote…
> >If you want a really good bike, that lasts for a long time, but are a bit
> >heavy, maybe you shold consider a Juno from Denmark.
>
>
>Do me a favor, will you. Calling a unicycle a bike is going too far :frowning: You are
>after all a unicyclist, right?
>
> >I know the guy that makes them and they are great. He builds them from
> >schratch so you can have it cutom build if you have any special wishes.
> >
> >Please mail me if you’re intrested. T-kragh@cybergirls.dk The prices vary a
> >lot, but a relly good one you can get for 1400 DKR. (danish currensy)
> >
> >Kind regards Trine

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Jack Halpern (jack@kanji.org) wrote:
: Greetings Do me a favor, will you. Calling a unicycle a bike is going too far
: :frowning: You are after all a unicyclist, right?

Knock it off jack, in plenty of languages there is no word for unicycle and the
word for bike is used. Has anyone found a russian term other than one wheeled
bicycle, the st Petersburg ballet company couldn’t come up with one, nor their
translator. In british sign language I had to explain it as cycle with only one
wheel not two, then invent a sign to shorten all that for ease in conversation,
if there is a recognised BSL sign for unicycle i love to know that too…

Sorry for rambling on, I like to ask these questions

sarah

RE: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

> Has anyone found a russian term other than one wheeled bicycle, the st
> Petersburg ballet company couldn’t come up with one, nor their translator.
> In british sign language I had to explain it as cycle with only one wheel

Talk to circus people. I sure don’t know how to spell it, but the Russian I
learned for unicycle sounded like “monot-see-kull”. Sound familiar?

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone


jfoss@unicycling.com http://www.unicycling.com

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Greetings

In message “Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle”, Sarah Miller wrote…
>Jack Halpern (jack@kanji.org) wrote:
>: Greetings Do me a favor, will you. Calling a unicycle a bike is going too
>: far :frowning: You are after all a unicyclist, right?
>
> Knock it off jack, in plenty of languages there is no word for unicycle and
> the word for bike is used.

Call a unicycle a bike is derogatory. Languages that don’t have a word usually
say “one-eheeled bicycle”, not just unicycle.

> Has anyone found a russian term other than one wheeled bicycle, the st
> Petersburg ballet company couldn’t come up with one, nor their translator.

There are two words that I have found:

ODNOKOLYOSNYI VELOSIPED standard? (M. Roy, S. Khramkov) MONOTSIKL?
colloq.? (J. Foss)

These are from my list unicycle in many languages, which I believe is at

>In british sign language I had to explain it as cycle with only one wheel not
>two, then invent a sign to shorten all that for ease in conversation, if there
>is a recognised BSL sign for unicycle i love to know that too…
>
>Sorry for rambling on, I like to ask these questions

And I like to answer language-related question. I am a lexicographer, after all.

>sarah
>
>

Regards, Jack Halpern Kanji Dictionary Publishing Society, http://www.kanji.org
Voice: +81-048-481-3103 Fax: +81-048-479-1323

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Greetings

In message “RE: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle”, John Foss wrote…
>> Has anyone found a russian term other than one wheeled bicycle, the st
>> Petersburg ballet company couldn’t come up with one, nor their translator.
>> In british sign language I had to explain it as cycle with only one wheel
>
>Talk to circus people. I sure don’t know how to spell it, but the Russian I
>learned for unicycle sounded like “monot-see-kull”. Sound familiar?

Yes, my databases has a recoird that you once gave me that info. It shouold be
transliterated as MONOTSIKL, I guess. If you really want to know, I’ll make the
effort to find out exactly.

>Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
>
>--------------------------------------------
>jfoss@unicycling.com http://www.unicycling.com
>
>
>

Regards, Jack Halpern Kanji Dictionary Publishing Society, http://www.kanji.org
Voice: +81-048-481-3103 Fax: +81-048-479-1323

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

John Foss wrote:
< Isure don’t know how to spell it, but the Russian I learned < for unicycle
sounded like “monot-see-kull”. Sound familiar? I think the Russians got
their words for cycling appliances from the French. “Bicycle” in Russian
sounds like “vee los cee PED” so it makes sense that unicycle would sound
like “monocycle”, the way the French say it, and would be spelled in
Cyrillic letters: M-O-H-O-(a letter that looks like a U with a comma
attached that’s pronounced “TS”)-(a letter that looks like a backwards N
that’s pronounced “ee”)-K-(a letter that looks something like the symbol for
pi…you know that 3.1415926535etc thing…that’s pronounced “L”)


Ted Howe TedLHowe@compuserve.com

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Jack Halpern wrote:
> There are two words that I have found: ODNOKOLYOSNYI VELOSIPED standard? (M.
> Roy, S. Khramkov) MONOTSIKL? colloq.? (J. Foss)
ODNO- one KOLYOSNYI- wheeled VELOSIPED- bicycle So this fits the usual
oxymoron pattern.


Ted Howe TedLHowe@compuserve.com

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

In article <OWrHa7o0#GA.329@nih2naad.prod2.compuserve.com>, Ted Howe
<74363.116@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
> Jack Halpern wrote:
> > There are two words that I have found: ODNOKOLYOSNYI VELOSIPED standard? (M.
> > Roy, S. Khramkov) MONOTSIKL? colloq.? (J. Foss)
> ODNO- one KOLYOSNYI- wheeled VELOSIPED- bicycle So this fits the usual
> oxymoron pattern.

(I’m showing my tremendous ignorance of languages other than English, but how
else can I ask?)

In English, since “bicycle” begins with “bi” it directly means “2”. In the same
way “tricycle” means “3”, and “unicycle” means “1”. On the other hand
“motorcycle” doesn’t directly state any number of wheels, but is generally
assumed to have 2 wheels. You can get them with three wheels, but calling one of
those a three-wheeled motorcycle is not an oxymoron in the same sense as calling
a tricycle a three-wheeled bicycle.

Does “velosiped” contain the meaning 2 (like bicycle in English), or does it
mean something closer to “pedal driven wheeled thing” (more similar to
motorcycle in English)?

(Based on another post, I assume the same question applies to French (where I am
equally ignorant).)

Jim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what
you don’t.

Re: Unicycle comparison: Miyata & Semcycle

Ted Howe <74363.116@CompuServe.COM> wrote in message …
>Jack Halpern wrote:
>> There are two words that I have found: ODNOKOLYOSNYI VELOSIPED standard? (M.
>> Roy, S. Khramkov) MONOTSIKL? colloq.? (J. Foss)
> ODNO- one KOLYOSNYI- wheeled VELOSIPED- bicycle So this fits the usual
>oxymoron pattern.

Hmmm… The morphemes of VELOCIPED itself mean something like “fast foot” (a
fast foot-powered vehicle - faster than walking that is). Since it does not
literally mean “two wheeled vehicle” this is NOT an oxymoron. I find nothing
wrong with a fast foot-powered vehicle which has only one wheel.

Unless of course we are talking about a 12" wheel ;-).

I have not spent enough time with riding and riders to learn the argot yet, so I
will continue to refer to my one wheeled contraption as my “wheel” for a while.

Arnold the Aardvark