Unicycle.com 94 dollar 28" uni and more

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=652

that is the 28" uni. they also have a 12" uni and the previously mentioned slick tire on the page. so what does everyone think about this low cost 28?

• Sal

It looks like it says on the tin - an entry level 28 inch uni.
At first glance, it looks like a steel rim - that’s heavy, so bad for acceleration and deceleration and turning. Looks like a cheapish seat, and longish cranks.

But a 28 inch uni is good to have in the collection, and for 98 Dollars it looks like a bargain.

Trouble is, if you really get to like riding a 28 (and it’s not for everyone) then you’ll want to upgrade the rim and seat and shorten the cranks to about 110 - 125 mm. Might work out far cheaper to buy the Nimbus (or US equivalent) and order some cranks a bit later.

A 28 is faster and smoother than a 24 or 26 (given equal cranks) and much easier to mount, idle, stop, reverse, and steer than a Coker. I’d say a 28 is the nearest that a unicycle can get to ‘practical daily transport’.

It looks like a 28" United to me. Same frame, seat, pedals.

until you’ve ridden Blue Shift!

I enjoy the handling on the Coker more, finding it more sympathetic to ‘my style’ of riding. I found some of the same characteristics that made the Uni.5 x24 difficult to manuver at speed are present in a light 28 -specificly, the tendancey to feel like your body is trying to spin out in a turn. All that mass in the Coker wheel is your friend, me thinks.

-Christopher

how often does one fall off a Coker while commuting? is it rare? (speaking from a ‘competent’ unicyclist’s point of view)

do you ever fall off at top speed?

Any bad coker injuries?

I think I’d skip the 28 and go right to the 36

I’ve only fell off my Coker twice at speed. The first one I hit the ground rolling, and the second time I managed to run it out. I’ve had a bunch of UPD’s trying to ride very slow and while mounting.

The thing I like about the Coker is that when I’m going as fast as I care to go, I’m not spun out. Right now, 11-12 miles per hour seems to be my comfortable cruising speed.

Mojoe with x-mas lights in his Coker wheel

Teehee… I put lights in my muni wheel yesterday… I’ve had lots of people pointing since then!

www.flippet.org/video/blinkenlights2.avi (160K, DivX5)

Phil, just me

I use “at speed” to refer to “at cruising speed” not “top speed” because I don’t regularly try to set speed records.

I Coker commuted 10 miles a day most of the spring, summer, and fall. I have fallen at speed once while commuting. I was on a steep downhill and lost it because I was looking at something very pretty on the sidewalk. I came off the back trying to keep from being launched and landed on my feet. The Big Boy danced on down the street in front of me.

I fell off at speed once when scoping out the Iron Horse Trail with David Maxfield and John Childs for UNICON. I also fell off at speed once during an afternoon ride. I ran out both of those UPD’s and I don’t think the seat hit the ground. The only time I have hit the ground was when I was idling and fell off backwards.

I lost it on Blue Shift going WELL above run out speed. I landed in a fortunate roll and received a small scrape on my right knee.

No Coker injuries at all.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the Coker’s heavy wheel is part of its charm and makes the ride excitingly different from other unis. However, for commuting (or in my case, general riding to cafes and pubs by public road, pavements (US = sidewalks) and a bit of ‘green laning’) the extra control of a light 28 is welcome.

I’ve had 1 massive UPD off the Coker on the public road, and several lesser UPDs, sometimes with the Coker rolling some distance. On the 28, UPDs are a lot rarer, and the uni tends to stop dead. So far, I’ve never fallen ‘full length’ from the 28.

So, nothing wrong with riding 10 easy flat miles each way on a Coker, but if you have to handle traffic, junctions, and lots of pedestrians, the 28 is the safer and more practical option - and just as fast. And so far, I don’t think I’ve missed a mount on the 28, whereas when I’m tired, it can take a few attempts to mount the Coker. So I keep the Coker for flattish off road, and quiet country lanes, and enjoy what it does best - swaying along, stately as a galleon.

I deal with the consequences of road accidents for a living, and I get to read medical reports and sometimes Coroner’s reports. This encourages me to approach road riding in a certain frame of mind.

I never really paid attention to the big wheeled unis, but this definately has me interested. I just need to find out how I could upgrade the rim to a lighter rim and how much it would cost.

Can I just

1. buy a lighter rim
  2. remove the old rim by just loosening the nipples
  3. replace with lighter rim and loosely tighten the nipples back on
  4. go to local bike shop and have it trued

Will that work? I can’t true or build a wheel.

If I am just going to ride a few miles and most of it is flat, do I really need a suzue hub? I would think the stock hub on this inexpensive Sun or United, whatever it is, would be just fine.

I was going to save up for a trials uni, but this may be a detour.
Ho hum… we’ll see.

Re: Unicycle.com 94 dollar 28" uni and more

In article <teachndad.fou9n@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
teachndad <teachndad.fou9n@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I never really paid attention to the big wheeled unis, but this
)definately has me interested. I just need to find out how I could
)upgrade the rim to a lighter rim and how much it would cost.
)
)Can I just
)1) buy a lighter rim
)2) remove the old rim by just loosening the nipples
)3) replace with lighter rim and loosely tighten the nipples back on
)4) go to local bike shop and have it trued
)
)Will that work? I can’t true or build a wheel.

Don’t sell yourself short; it’s not hard to build wheels, it just takes
time.

If you want to upgrade the rim, and you don’t want to do it yourself,
your best bet would be to just take the whole thing into a bike shop.
Probably it would be better to replace the spokes as well as the rim;
the spokes may not be stainless on a cheap wheel, and the new rim may
require different spoke length. Spokes also don’t take well to re-use;
you tend to get breaks at the elbows.

Overall, if you want to upgrade the rim, it’s probably better to just
buy a better uni in the first place. You’re going to pay at least $50
for a new rim and the labor involved, and the Sem 28" is only $200, with
a better seat and better components.
-Tom

It’s not hard to ‘put a wheel together’ but to acyually ‘build’ one that won’t taco on you on your first ride is an art (one I haven’t yet mastered)

Use new spokes and nipples

Have someone who can build them, build them with you (perhaps over a case of beer)

Taking it to a shop will run you $30 or so in labour, post in mtbr.com/techtalks in the general discussion forum asking for a wheel building guy to work for a case of beer.

There will be somone in or around oyur town, and more than willing to help, I’m sure

Getting it done at a shop…they probably won’t want you there watching (then you wouldn’t go back for your next)

For that matter, they have a Pashley, a few Semcycles, a couple of Yunis…

What do y’all think?

Mainly for this post, I dont think i want a Coker, but i want a 29, probably semcycle XL, looks like a really good deal for $279
A Coker has a special feel, but its a bus, I like the speed and manueverability(sp?) of a 29.
My 2 cents
Scott
p.s.
The Yunis with Velo seats look like a good deal as well.

Not a bus. On a bus you’re allowed 5 standing passengers.

The speed of the 28 and the Coker are broadly similar, given suitable cranks. The responsiveness of the 28 is superior: it accelerates and stops better and, of course, turns better. The other thing is that a 28 has a wider choice of rims and of tyres.

It’s like comparing a Land Rover (Coker) with any other 4x4 (28). Any other 4X4 will be more comfortable, faster, quieter, more economical, better built and so on, but the Land Rover is ‘the real thing’ - and so’s the Coker. It’s some sort of ‘ultimate’ in one of the many directions that unicycling can take you.

I think the Yuni is the US version of the Nimbus. If so, then it’s a nice basic machine, and the Velo saddle seems to suit it. The Nimbus is light, looks good and rides nicely. The rim’s not very wide, so I don’t know what size of chunky tyre you could fit. My Nimbus 28 is dedicated to road/hard surface use, so I’m happy with a road tyre at reasonably high pressure. If I want to go off road on difficult stuff I use the MUni, and if I want to barrel along river banks and wide rough tracks, I use the Coker.

could’nt have been said better.Cokers are one of the most overrated unicycles i ever owned.dispite what’s commenly described as unicycle like no other,i found it to be no fun at all.the speed is there yes,but it is a bus like Scott.i’ll take a 4mph. drop for the parts and portabilaty gains of a 29 or 26.not to mention the weight differance.

Hi my name is Jagur,and im a Coker hater.

You’re not wrong.

You’re just differently right, in a misguided sort of way. :wink:

The difference is that you ride a Coker by the kind consent of the Coker. It’s a negotiation and compromise thing, like riding a tiger, only less furry. 28s do as they’re told unless they throw a sudden tantrum. Cokers do what they want unless you gain their trust, then they will sometimes, just sometimes, do what you ask.

I can see the film now: Cokers in the Mist, in which our intrepid hero lives wild and rough in the jungle, gradually letting the Cokers get used to him, until eventually, he becomes an honorary member of the troop of Cokers, and dares to ride on the big silverback Coker, only to push it too far and be thrown off and injured.

It’s not what a Coker does, it’s how it sometimes does it.

no,im not misguided. (wink wink)

i think they ride like lifeless rolling zombies,and all this mystic crap used to describe the “feel” of a Coker is a load of horsebleep.

Yuni frames are Nimbus II frames. They can hold 3" wide tires.

Were you thinking of the Nimbus I frames with the unicrown?

Nikki

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 07:42:52 -0600, “Scott Kurland”
<skurland@juggler.net> wrote:

>P.S. Anyone else here enough of a math nerd to think one of the reasons 28"
>wheels are cool is that 28 is a perfect number?

It never occurred to me. But then I wouldn’t think a 6" unicycle is
cool either.

Klaas Bil

Bubble gum contains rubber!