unicycle case

are there any cases you can use to transport your unicycle? specifically, a 24" torker lx. . . but i would think a universal case might be out there somewhere. . .

I have been looking into these myself. I wanted something that would carry a 29" unicycle with only the pedals removed…hopefully without requiring an extra charge by the airlines.

There are a few wheel covers for mtn bikes that are primarily designed to keep mud out of your BMW and they wouldn’t protect the uni in transit. The closest thing I found is a hard bicycle case that is designed to be used by cyclists who remove both wheels, and use foam pads between case/bike/wheels for shipping and airline baggage moves. They are deep enough to hold a unicycle with cranks on and pedals removed. They are long enough that the seat and post can remain installed. There is room inside for other stuff and they will hold adequate padding to protect the uni. They are larger than “free” if the airlines measure them but they would do the job well and would be worth the investment on a serious airplane trip to protect the uni.

I have seen these on sale for about $200. Here is the Nashbar variant:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=11008&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Carey

if youre looking for a unicycle case, unfortunately, to my knowledge they dont exist. to transport it, like on an airplane:
remove pedals
remove seatpost
deflate tire to avoid popping
remove cranks (optional)
wrap everything in separate blankets to avoid scratches, and pack it all in a suitcase or something.
for a car trip, removing the seatpost and/or pedals will usually make it small enough to fit in a box or something.

yea you should make one! it would be a good investment and i can see why you would like to put your uni in something for airplane ride but why for car ride? :thinking:

well maybe for a long car ride, like a road trip. for just around town i just throw mine in the trunk.

It looks like I could probably fit a 29 and a 24 muni in that case and take two on vacation

It would be for an airplane ride. . . I dont think I’d have to pay extra for it (I’m an employee) but i know that you’re really not supposed to ship tires on an aircraft; they’re technicall hazmat.

oh well, I’ll keep looking

Tires are Hazmat? Really, why?

I kept the box my trials uni came in, and taped up all the specs the box says, then take off the seat/seatpost, take of the pedals, put in a blanket or 2 and some bubble wrap and check it.

still its not like you would be bringing THAT much stuff that it would crush it… i usually just throw mine on top of luggage in car rides and if your THAT worried then why not just wrap it in a blanket and throw it on top or in a space where it wont move around too much

ive seen brief cases that fit whoel giraffes in them. but they are mainly for performers, plus a lot of things on your uni would need to be colaspable

Tri All 3 Sports makes a Clam Shell Wheel Safe case. It will hold a 24" or 26" muni wheel. I haven’t tried fitting a 29er. The case is supposed to fit a 700c road wheel so a 29er should fit too, although you will almost certainly have to deflate the tire and even cinch up the tire with toe clip straps or similar. You’ll have to remove the frame from the wheel and also remove the pedals from the cranks.

I have a Clam Shell Wheel Safe. It was around $200 when I got it, it’s more expensive now. It works, but the case takes abuse by the airlines. My case has cracked down at the bottom. I now reinforce the inside bottom of the case with a wooden board. It would be a good idea to reinforce it before it cracks due to airline handling abuse.

It works, but is heavy and awkward to carry around. It doesn’t have wheels so you actually have to lug it. I always rent a cart at the airport. It is just within the maximum baggage size so it goes as regular size baggage and not oversized. The challenge is more in keeping the weight down so it doesn’t go over 50 pounds. If it’s more than 50 pounds you can get charged more. The case itself adds to the weight. Then the weight of the unicycle and the temptation to put extra things in the case like tools.

The hard shell case is overkill though. It’s good insurance if you’re taking the muni on a big trip and the trip would be ruined if the muni was damaged in baggage handling. But for most needs a reinforced cardboard box with padding inside will do fine. And the cardboard box may actually get less abuse by the baggage handlers than a hardshell case.

Tri All 3 Sports and other companies make larger cases to fit folding bikes and full size bikes. Those cases are going to get you the oversize fee. But you won’t have to disassemble the unicycle to get it to fit (other than taking the pedals off).

A large duffel bag with plywood cutouts to protect the wheel and spokes is another option. You just run a larger risk of the frame getting dented or bent due to a heavy hardshell suitcase falling on it during baggage handling or during the flight.

I have a Duffel bag that fits my unicycle similar to the one here

The Feds, in their ultimate wisdom, deemed as hazmat all “containers of compressed gas” - which is exactly what a tire is. go figure. :roll_eyes:

My wife made a pattern and uses heavy-duty nylon to sew unicycle bags. The entire unicycle fits inside. Thick cardboard or plastic cut in the shape of the wheel and placed on both sides of the wheel can protect the spokes. Handles and loops to attach a shoulder strap are added so the bag can be carried. A cynch cord at the top of the bag keeps your uni snuggly inside. She made a couple of big ones for 36" cokers and they worked well. For those, frames and cranks need to be removed and a tennis ball on the ends of the axel will prevent tears in the material. She has not made one for a 24" wheel but that could be done.

If you can sew or know somebody who can, the cost of materials for a nice bag like this is less than $50. The pattern is not technically challenging, however, you will need a sewing machine with a strong needle. If anybody saw the unicycle bag given away in Memphis at the NAUCC raffle, that was one of my wife’s creations.

case

A friend has one of these. If I take off the pedals–everything else stays in place. It is about the right length to let a 29" fit inside with the seat on.

I would have bought oone but for $200 you could almost buy another uni and leave it at the destination :slight_smile:

Carey

case

A friend has one of these, my 29er fits nicely. If I take off the pedals–everything else stays in place. It is about the right length to let a 29" fit inside with the seat on. You could put 2 unis in there as you mention, I bet.

I would have bought one but for $200 you could almost buy another uni and leave it at the destination :slight_smile:

Carey

case

A friend has one of these, my 29er fits nicely. If I take off the pedals–everything else stays in place. It is about the right length to let a 29" fit inside with the seat on. You could put 2 unis in there as you mention, I bet.

I would have bought one but for $200 you could almost buy another uni and leave it at the destination. Especially if you have to pay a $75 bike fee each way :slight_smile:

Carey