Unicycle Barn Dance

About 50 unicyclists got together on saturday at the harry Cheshire
High School in Kidderminster ( UK) and enjoyed an action packed uni
meet. The ability level went from never been on a uni before and amused
with his own ineptness ( my Dad), through wobbly newbies and weaving
improvers to Hockey fiends and trials jump monsters ( Adam Wilcox
cleared 160 cm long jumping).

The morning started out with a beginners workshop at one end and at the
same time ,at the other end of the hall games and skills warm up for
riders. Our workshops at this uni meet were all on the Barn Dance theme,
the basics w/s took a large group through such steps as 4 hand star, grand
chain and spinning and promenadeing with a partner. We were luckey to have
the assistance of the Herbal Remedy Band for this who palyed for us, and
helped out with tips on alternative steps.

This was followed by an Advanced dance workshop where a smaller group
worked on learning the dance Bridge of Athlone, adapting it slightly to
make it work on unis.

At about the same time, Will Stevens lead a social ride group out to
explore the local area.

The early afternoon saw lots of Trials action, with a course laid out in
the hall, benches to ride along, boxes to jump onto, between and off and
this was very popular with the teenage riders. Also going on was some
long jump practise, and IUF obstacle course practise ( outside on a wet
playground) and some Basketball. Its amazing how many different things we
mangaed to squeze into a not very big hall ( 4 badmington courts)
especially as one quarter of the hall remained as beginners safe
territory all day!

Hockey is a regular feature of Uni meets, this time we formed 5 teams, and
each team played three games. The team I was in (WW) had one interesting
game, when three of our squad couldn’t be found. So the remaining three
took to the field agaist a team of five. Young Albert kept goal very
capabley and Roger and myself dashed about like mad things doing
everything else. It worked, somehow we managed to be 2 goals up before our
missing team mates reappeared, at which point we prompty conceded 2 goals.
Ratz. We did manage to hold on and win in the end.

This uni meet finished off with a Barn Dance, a proper dance with a live
band ( thanks Herbal Remedy) and a superb Caller ( thanks Dave Hunt). We
danced for a few hours, with a supper break for fish and chips. Some
danced everything on their unis, some a mix of unis and feet and some
preferered to stay earth bound. The Advanced workshop group showed off
their Bridge of Athlone dance when the time came to dance that number, and
the evening was rounded off with a mass Circassian circle dance.

My dad came out with an interesting comment when he said " the sets of all
unicyclists look more gracefullthan the sets on feet." It was the first
time he had seen any unicycle dancing and I think he was quite impressed.

Roger has some photos up for a limited time only at
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/20011201/ http://www.unicycle.uk.com/20011202/

There are three more uni meets planned for Jan 12th, Feb 9th and march
9th, all at the same venue and then we return there for the British
Unicycle Convention ( useing that hall and other halls on the same site)
April 19th-21st 2002.

sarah


Unicycle Meet and Uni barn Dance , Sat Dec 1st Uni meets Jan 12th, Feb
9th, March 9th 2002 Harry Cheshire High School, Habberley rd,
Kidderminster e-mail stevegrain@aol.com for details

Sarah,

I’m just wondering: are all participants on the same wheel size, so that
if the legs move to the rythm of the music, they cover the same distance?
Or is the notion of synchronous leg movement not taken into account at all
in unicycle dancing?

Klaas Bil

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:53:42 GMT, Sarah Miller
<sarah@vimes.u-net.com> wrote:

>About 50 unicyclists got together on saturday at the harry Cheshire High
>School in Kidderminster ( UK) and enjoyed an action packed uni meet. The
>ability level went from never been on a uni before and amused with his
>own ineptness ( my Dad), through wobbly newbies and weaving improvers to
>Hockey fiends and trials jump monsters ( Adam Wilcox cleared 160 cm long
>jumping).
>
>The morning started out with a beginners workshop at one end and at the
>same time ,at the other end of the hall games and skills warm up for
>riders. Our workshops at this uni meet were all on the Barn Dance theme,
>the basics w/s took a large group through such steps as 4 hand star,
>grand chain and spinning and promenadeing with a partner. We were luckey
>to have the assistance of the Herbal Remedy Band for this who palyed for
>us, and helped out with tips on alternative steps.
>
>This was followed by an Advanced dance workshop where a smaller group
>worked on learning the dance Bridge of Athlone, adapting it slightly to
>make it work on unis.


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Perl-RSA, rhost, NSP”

> I’m just wondering: are all participants on the same wheel size, so that
> if the legs move to the rythm of the music, they cover the same
> distance? Or is the notion of synchronous leg movement not taken into
> account at all in unicycle dancing?

Synchronous leg movement is hard to set up with unicycles because if your
legs are coordinated at one point, unless you are riding similar paths
(not following one another) your legs will not stay synchronized. With two
riders this is relatively easy to keep track of, but gets way harder with
a group; especially when doing something more informal like these dances.

Using the same wheel size is a big help though, because you will all move
at the same distance (and speed) per foot movement. If you have a choice
20" wheels are better because they allow you to ride closer to each other
without bumping wheels.

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“If it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would get done.” - Kevin
“Gilby” Gilbertson

almost totally 20" unis,

Synchronous leg movements, yes.

you all start and mount on the start of the music. 2 pedals forward,
2 back etc.

Corrections when stopped to put pedals horizontal, little hops etc. Also
we were idling in time to music at times, while clapping as well. This
might sound hard but it wasn’t really. But it was immense fun. :slight_smile:

Roger


The UK’s Unicycle Source http://www.unicycle.uk.com


----- Original Message ----- From: “John Foss” <john_foss@asinet.com> To:
“‘Klaas Bil’” <klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl>;
<rsu@unicycling.org> Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 11:26 PM Subject: RE:
Unicycle Barn Dance

> > I’m just wondering: are all participants on the same wheel size, so
> > that if the legs move to the rythm of the music, they cover the same
> > distance? Or is the notion of synchronous leg movement not taken into
> > account at all in unicycle dancing?
>
> Synchronous leg movement is hard to set up with unicycles because if
> your legs are coordinated at one point, unless you are riding
> similar paths
(not
> following one another) your legs will not stay synchronized. With two
riders
> this is relatively easy to keep track of, but gets way harder with a
group;
> especially when doing something more informal like these dances.
>
> Using the same wheel size is a big help though, because you will
> all move
at
> the same distance (and speed) per foot movement. If you have a choice
> 20" wheels are better because they allow you to ride closer to each
> other without bumping wheels.
>
> Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
> www.unicycling.com
>
>
> “If it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would get done.” - Kevin
“Gilby”
> Gilbertson
>
_________________________________________________________________________-
__
> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

I’m not yet good enough on my uni to join the dance but Roger makes it
sound like real fun! Alternatively, I could on occasion join a music band
on unicycles as soon as I can idle without thinking. Our folk music group
is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/mista.htm. Only in Dutch though, but
with enough requests I might spend X-mas translating… Duh.

Klaas Bil

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:35:55 -0000, “Roger Davies”
<Roger.Davies@octacon.co.uk> wrote:

>almost totally 20" unis,
>
>Synchronous leg movements, yes.
>
>you all start and mount on the start of the music. 2 pedals forward, 2
>back etc.
>
>Corrections when stopped to put pedals horizontal, little hops etc. Also
>we were idling in time to music at times, while clapping as well. This
>might sound hard but it wasn’t really. But it was immense fun. :slight_smile:
>
>Roger


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “JIC, fissionable, UNICORN”

I’m not yet good enough on my uni to join the dance but Roger makes it
sound like real fun! Alternatively, I could on occasion join a music band
on unicycles as soon as I can idle without thinking. Our folk music group
is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/mista.htm. Only in Dutch though, but
with enough requests I might spend X-mas translating… Duh.

Klaas Bil

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:35:55 -0000, “Roger Davies”
<Roger.Davies@octacon.co.uk> wrote:

>almost totally 20" unis,
>
>Synchronous leg movements, yes.
>
>you all start and mount on the start of the music. 2 pedals forward, 2
>back etc.
>
>Corrections when stopped to put pedals horizontal, little hops etc. Also
>we were idling in time to music at times, while clapping as well. This
>might sound hard but it wasn’t really. But it was immense fun. :slight_smile:
>
>Roger


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “JIC, fissionable, UNICORN”