unicycle at school

one day im going to go into highschool and use my unicycle to take me to class. there are signs posted that say no skateboarding, biking ect but no unicycling. i think i could put up some good defense if i had to. what da ya think

I’m fairly certain a school can’t prevent you from rising your bike, legal transportation, to school.

Hanging around sitting on your BMX smoking a fatty is a different story, but riding to school? Doubtful

Ride the uni, but lock it up.

Well I ride my uni to school almost every day. And, I have to admit, though I would not recommend this to students generally speaking, but I do ride down the halls on my uni if it is early in the morning or late in the afternoon when there aren’t too many people around. It is so cooooool to cruise down the hallways and into the counselling centre where I work on my wheel. It is so quiet and sleek, if I do see students or some other teachers in my travels through the school usually I just get a smile

Having said that still I must emphasize that, as for riding IN the school, I think it is generally unwise… most teachers and janitors would likely not be too thrilled with the idea.

But, I would recommend riding to school highly as it is great fun and a sneaky way to squeeze a little more uni riding into your day.

Erin

One time I was passing through a middle school with my buddies, and the two janitors stoped what they were doing and one said, “hey, cool man, I used to ride one of those.”

Another time at a high school, these two middle aged teacher guys stopped me and asked me tuns of questions, I ended up explaining to them the way of the uni, and busting some uni-spins n stuff. They were amazed and let me pass, phew.
But later on at the same school an older teacher caught me and said, “do you have a license to ride that?” I’m like uhhh,“am I supposed to have one?” Then he made me get off and walk it.

I ride alot to my school, they dont mind at all, also my brother rides from class to class at college.
I guess it depends on the people and tollerence of the school.
There is nothing they can realy do about it if they do have a problem, but its best to cooperate, then you have a better chance.

Since learning to ride i havent walked anywhere - I ride to the university from where I live (about three kilometres), and then once on campus i ride from lecture to lecture and then back home. I ride into town and around town to do shopping etc…ive got a bit of a repuation (Im in a country town) with the local college kids as they see me riding to and from the university all the time…

I rode mine through the building where I work late one night. One lady made some comment to the security guards, she’s one of those that really has to get in everyone’s business but won’t ever behave properly herself, you know the type. Nothing came of it, though.

John

The signs that are usually around (no skateboarding etc.) are for insurance reasons I believe. It’s so kids don’t skate/bike/rollerblade and get hurt or hurt others around them and then try to sue the school or property owner. I don’t think it really applies to getting to and from school or work. If you are messing around and trying tricks they may frown upon that. Just cause it doesn’t say no unicycling doesn’t mean you won’t get in trouble. Then again they may think it’s so unique that they may not say anything. Who knows. I’d keep doing it till someone tells me to stop.

Re: unicycle at school

I rode mine through the building where I work late one night. One lady
made some comment to the security guards, she’s one of those that really
has to get in everyone’s business but won’t ever behave properly
herself, you know the type. Nothing came of it, though.

John

NumberJohnnyFive

NumberJohnnyFive’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3674
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24044

rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

is it me, or does he mean inside the school?

a while ago, i was trying to teach someone to ride, and after school we’d ride around the hall a bit. The one janator didn’t care, but the others aren’t so kind. As for riding from class to class, that’d depend on the school. My school has 2 bulidings, so i could ride frm one to another and outside easily. Inside, it’s too crowded, and i’d get pushed off. Another time, i rode a giraffe inside the main hall, by the office for the local paper, and the principle came by and was ok.
You could say that there’s no rule about riding inside, but your main problem would probably be the crowed halls.

Last Hallow’s Eve I took my uni all around the school. It was great fun, besides some flak from one teacher. I just told him it was my costume!
The more places you ride, the better.

Hey vortex_oow, what did you dress up as for that halloween or did you just bring in your uni? About the post, I guess you’d just have to try and see. At my school there’s a kid that has those shoes with wheels on them so he roles around.

Logan