Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

One-wheel wonder is on a roll
Firm’s owner organizes the building, shipping of self-designed mountain unicycles from his kitchen table

Wency Leung, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, January 09, 2006

Kris Holm’s mountain unicycle company caters to a niche market within an already small pool of unicycle enthusiasts around the globe.

But Holm, who is considered a pioneer of the sport of mountain unicycling, has managed to keep his expenses low and has created a successful side business out of his Vancouver apartment by outsourcing the production and assembly of his high-end unicycles to Taiwan.

“My operating costs are incredibly small,” said Holm, who also works as a geologist. He pointed to his company “office,” a single laptop computer set up at his kitchen table.

His company Kris Holm Unicycles (www.krisholm.com) emerged out of Holm’s own desire for a unicycle that suited his unusual hobby of maneuvering over boulders, across creeks, and down rugged mountainsides.

“Originally, it was custom-made stuff for myself,” he said, adding that traditional unicycles weren’t designed for punishing off-road rides.

Holm’s unicycles look like a simplified version of a regular cross-country mountain bike, but they lack gears and have a lever under the seat for braking.

From home, he draws up designs and specifications for his products, and sends the blueprints to Taiwan. Finished prototypes are shipped back so he can test them out. Then, the final product is manufactured, assembled and shipped directly from Taiwan to various parts of the world.

Unicycles are made according to retailers’ orders so Holm does not have to gamble on sales. And shipments are made quarterly in containers shared with various other Taiwan-made unicycle products to save costs.

“There’s not container load after container load of my product,” Holm said, adding that his sales last year totalled about $250,000, with each unicycle retailing between $450 to $550.

Holm became interested in unicycling at the age of 11, after watching a street performer in Victoria. His parents gave him his first unicycle when he turned 12. An outdoor sports buff, he soon began learning tricks and seeking new challenges once he mastered how to ride.

“It’s as easy as riding a bike,” he said. “People tend to over-estimate how hard it is to ride a unicycle.”

What began as a childhood past-time has since led Holm on unicycling adventures along the Great Wall of China, and on the summit of Guatemala’s Tajumulco, the highest volcano in Central America. Holm is credited with founding the competitive Unicycle Trials and has won several international championships in the little-known sport. He remains one of very few designers worldwide who make high-end mountain unicycles.

Holm initially went to a local machine-making shop with his designs. But when he began creating unicycles for retail sale, it made more sense to produce them overseas, he said. “It cost a lot of money to make it locally.”

Holm decided to do business in Taiwan since the island is known for producing high-quality bicycles and for providing a high level of customer service, he said.

The aspiration to create a socially ethical and responsible company also weighed in on Holm’s decision. Unlike in other bicycle-exporting countries like mainland China, Cambodia, and Vietnam, laborers in Taiwan enjoy a better standard of living, Holm said.

That means production costs might be higher, he said. But he added: “I don’t want my unicycles to be made in a sweat shop.”

Still, Holm said he can set the retail price significantly lower than the $1,300 per unicycle he would have to charge if they were manufactured in North America.

Robert Hsiao, director of the Taiwan Trade Center in Vancouver, estimated that the cost to hire one laborer in Taiwan is equivalent to the cost of hiring five laborers in mainland China. But, he said, businesses often find that Taiwanese manufacturers offer a great degree of loyalty, and more consistent quality.

“If you go to mainland China, the quality will be much different,” Hsiao said.

Currently, however, few B.C. companies operate in Taiwan since the province does not have a large manufacturing industry, Hsiao said.

Holm said he relies on an agent in Taiwan to communicate his design requirements to a number of factories that manufacture his unicycle parts. The agent also inspects the finished products and handles all other practical aspects of the business there. “Having that contact is essential,” he said.

Holm is now perfecting a gear box, and is aiming to put the world’s first geared mountain unicycle on the market in the near future.

Is this the first we’ve heard about this or did I miss something?

I don’t know. Did you try the search function? :wink:

The one thing I still haven’t figured out about the search function is how to search for a phrase only.
Like ‘geared muni’. That search throws up 20 pages of ‘geared’ and ‘muni’. In GOOGLE i can do “geared muni” but apparantly the caps don’t make much difference around here.
I’ve wondered about it before but never got around to asking, is there a way to search for an exclusive phrase?

Click on search to get to the dropdown box -> advanced search -> under “Search Type” select boolean -> use boolean logic in your search (geared AND muni)

While that won’t search for the phrase, at least it’ll only search for posts that contain both geared and muni. As for searching for an actual phrase I’m waiting for someone else to jump in here.

Thanx.
I should’ve typed ‘boolean’ into google earlier.

I’ve tried the boolean thing before but didnt know you had to use ‘AND’, ‘OR’ or ‘NOT’. I tried “” in boolean and didn’t get squat.

I may not read everything on RSU anymore but I do read a lot of it. And I certainly would remember if I’d seen it before. So I think it is a first indeed!

I usually use the Advanced Google Groups search to find stuff on RSU. Of course, it can search for a phrase, and in general it’s far more versatile than the search function on unicyclist.com.

There were a couple of KH frames hanging in Florian Schlumpfs workshop and rumours of a splined schlumpf hub…

You didn’t hear it from me :sunglasses:

No mention of unicycles, but it does have a cartoon picture of a bear with a unicycle. Best I could do.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=61306

Cle Elum is in Washington state near where Unicon 11 was held.

One man, one wheel, one goal
Cle Elum unicyclist Jock Young to ride across southern U.S.
By MIKE GALLAGHER

When Cle Elum’s Jock Young says he’s riding solo across the southern United States he means it — one man, one wheel.

Young intends to ride a unicycle about 2,300 miles from San Diego to Savannah, Ga. He’s flying to San Diego on Jan. 20.

“My rough guess is it’s going to take me 100 days,” Young said.

Young, 56, is no unicycle novice. He started riding in 1968, and for years has taught children how to ride unicycles through his Wheels Be Free group in the Upper County.

Young said he knows other people have ridden cross country on a unicycle, but he does not know if anyone has done it alone. Young is tackling this adventure without a crew in a support vehicle.

“I’ll be going through towns fairly frequently,” Young said.

Young selected the January start because the weather should be neither too hot nor cold during the course of the journey.

In addition to the weather window, the overall timing was right for Young.

“I’d been thinking about doing a long-distance trip for a awhile,” Young said. “Sierra just go her driver’s license so I don’t have to drive her around as much. It’s a good time for me to do this.”

Sierra is his 16-year-old daughter. Young and his wife, Dr. Elizabeth Wise, have three children — Julie is a senior at Carlton College in Minnesota and Jonathan works as an economic consultant for a firm in Washington, D.C.

“My kids think it’s great that I’m doing this,” Young said. “My wife is a little more ambivalent.”

Young has always stretched the boundaries of what people think is doable on a unicycle. He has competed in off-road unicycle events on mountain bike trails.

“I’m curious about what peoples’ reactions will be when they see me on the unicycle,” Young said. “When people see me on a mountain bike trail, it’s, ‘Wow.’”

Young plans to ride about five to six hours a day. He’s following a route developed by Adventure Cycling Association.

“They have a very detailed route mapped out,” Young said. “But I reserve the right to get off that route if someone tells me there’s something I have to see.”

Young has been riding with a 30-pound pack to prepare for the trip.

He does not have any sponsors for the trip, but Young said he has been thinking about setting up a way for people to contribute.

Jock Young - Daily Record Online - January 13 2006.pdf (109 KB)

Hundreds of cyclists in gruelling 24-hour race

Paul Wilson
330 words
16 January 2006
Aberdeen Press & Journal
English
© 2006 The Press and Journal Limited .
One of the world’s most gruelling endurance events took place in a Highland forest this weekend.

Hundreds of cyclists converged on Torrachilty Forest, Contin, near Strathpeffer, for the Strathpuffer 24, a 24-hour race over tough terrain.

Teams such as the Bunion Boys, Pinky and Perky and The Puff Daddies joined solo riders prepared to complete the course under their own steam.

The 11-kilometre track was made up of single and double-track trails. The race started on Saturday morning and competitors spent about 17 hours cycling in darkness.

Organisers say the Strathpuffer 24 could be the world’s hardest 24-hour mountain bike race and they are not aware of any other similar events held in winter conditions.

Dutchman Jean Claude van der Veken managed to make it look easy. At the 10am deadline on Sunday he lifted the winning solo crown, completing 26 laps for Halfords Bike Hut.

Peter Beattie, from Inverness, a member of the winning mixed foursome, said: "It was a battle, really challenging. It was a phenomenal achievement for the organisers.

“They came up with this idea and ran with it. People are here from all over Britain, it’s a major event for the Highlands. It is more extreme than any other event I have competed in but it is what you expect from this type of activity and it is certainly what you get.”

Mr van der Veken, 31, currently living in Manchester, has competed in several similar endurance events in England. He said: "The last four hours were the worst. "

His winning diet comprises cheese and peanut butter sandwiches, Coca-Cola and cold rice pudding.

Three 13-year-olds took part in the race.

The most eccentric entrants were Joe Marshall and Joe Mclean of Worcestershire who rode the course for 24 hours entirely on unicycles.

The event was filmed by BBC Scotland to be televised at a future date.

Re: Unicycle articles (but wait there’s more…)

JJuggle quoted:
> His winning diet comprises cheese and peanut butter sandwiches,

I want to know if that means cheese and peanut butter in the same
sandwich. Yuk!

(Although I’m going to have to try it now, because it’s one of those
combinations that sounds revolting but just might work. Like peanut
butter and jam, or cheese and jam, or honey and mayonnaise).

> Coca-Cola

Eeuggh, that’s even worse!

Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Go the whole hog, have peanut butter, cheese and jam.
It’s a winner.

Wow, I used to eat this as a kid. Yum.

Cathy

http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article1408.shtml
and see there, a unicyclist in one of the pictures at
http://www.kingofjester.com/

There are truly more things that bring us together than sets us apart.

But honey and mayonnaise?!?

Said article:

Cycling News

Tyler Hamilton Challenges Racers
By Thomas Valentinsen
Jan 18, 2006, 12:23

Austin, TX January 6th: The 3rd Annual “Rio” King of Jester is pleased to announce the Tyler Hamilton Foundation will be the charity beneficiary of the upcoming Austin hill climb event. Gold Medal Cyclist, Tyler Hamilton, challenges cyclists across the country to participate and record their best times at the March 5th event. Hamilton will travel to Austin later in 2006 to take on the hill, challenging the fastest times of the RIO King of Jester Hill Climb.

“The Tyler Hamilton Foundation is honored to be chosen as the beneficiary of this fun event and I personally look forward to racing against the winners.” Hamilton said recently from his home in Boulder, CO. “I welcome the challenge and appreciate the generosity of all involved. This is another example of how the sport of cycling can make a difference in the lives of others. We believe in the power of cycling to heal and the power of cyclists to help.”

“The Rio” King of Jester challenges runners, cyclists, and many others to take on Jester Blvd, Austin’s steepest hill. The King and Queen of Jester will be crowned based on the results of the time trial – a ½ mile climb that’s over 20% grade. There are divisions for cyclists, runners, and alternate human power (like in-line skates and unicycles). “The Rio” King of Jester is one of the most spectator-friendly bike and running races since fans can line the hill and cheer on their favorite racers. At the bottom of the hill, there’s a huge party with great music, food, and product demos for everybody to enjoy.

The top 10 times in each division will be invited back to race Tyler at a later date in 2006. So come on out to race or cheer on your favorite hill climber in the March 5th event.

For more info visit http://www.kingofjester.com/ and http://www.tylerhamiltonfoundation.org/.

Re: Unicycle articles (but wait there’s more…)

GILD wrote:
> Go the whole hog, have peanut butter, cheese -and- jam.
> It’s a winner.

Strangely enough, that actually sounds quite tasty. I think I shall try
it for lunch at the weekend.

> There are truly more things that bring us together than sets us apart.
>
> But honey and mayonnaise?!?

My wife tells me I’m disgusting, but it’s delicious. Or treacle (golden
syrup) and salad cream. Or honey and salad cream. Or treacle and
mayonnaise.

Treacle and honey are very sweet, salad cream and mayonnaise are
slightly sour. The sweet and sour combination works very well.

Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Do you have it on bread?