UNICON XV: Wellington, New Zealand 2009/2010

To our fellow unicyclists from around the world,

We are pleased to announce that Wellington, New Zealand has been confirmed as hosts of UNICON XV in 2009/2010.

The dates are 27 December 2009 to 7 Jan 2010.

We will host a full complement of event in some fantastic venues within walking distance of the event headquarters, located along the waterfront.

Come and celebrate The New Year with hundreds of unicyclists in the Southernmost capital city in the world.

We look forward to seeing you in 2009!

Ken Looi
Secretary
NZ Unicycle Federation

YUS!!! Excellent! Can’t wait!

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYES!!!

um yeah… sorry… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be there for sure! Pitty I can’t make the press meetup tho :frowning: Unless I were to fly down :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah sounds good

Countdown :
674 days left till pure awesomeness

Sweeeeeeet!!!

I’m coming (I really want to anyway…)
It’ll be fun to get back to where I first learnt how to unicycle :wink:

I’m pretty sure you’ll get at least one visitor from Africa… I’ve been wanting to go visit friends in NZ for a while… Saving up my air miles.
In the meantime, see you all in Denmark !

So, when does UNICON come to the UK? :frowning:

1. Sorry you missed it. :stuck_out_tongue:

New Zealand in 2009/10? You know I’ll be there!

Heh… I was only 4 :frowning:

Who and how is the decision made about where it is?

Sorry for being so offtopic, but I really wanna know :wink:

Basically, if you come to the IUF and say “Hey, I want to host the next Unicon” they’ll jump all over the idea. In very rare cases there will be more than one potential host and they’ll both want to host the same year. This just happend with a second bid from South Korea. In this case, the IUF Board and representatives voted. NZ was (to me) the logical choice as the organizers have been around unicycling (and Unicons) for many years while the Korean group is very new to the scene. Hopefully they will want to host in 2012 or later.

If, on the other hand, you come to the IUF and say “Hey, I want someone else to host the next Unicon in my town”, the IUF will say “Who’s the someone else?”

I want to expand a bit on what John Foss said regarding decisions on where to hold future UNICONs.

UNICONs are proposed, planned and ultimately run by local organizing committees. I went through this process between 2000 and 2002 when I served as chairman of the local organizing committee and, subsequently, event director for UNICON 11. Without massive commitment from local organizers, UNICONs simply would not happen.

I love going to Unicon and for me the further from home the better. I haven’t been to New Zealand since 2004 and will love going back. What Tad says is SO true. You wouldn’t believe how much work goes into putting on an event of this size. Unicon doesn’t just happen. It is a MASSIVE amount of work.

THANK YOU KEN!

—Nathan

Woohoo. Finally the excuse I need to go to NZ! Thanks Ken et al.

Some of us northern hemisphere riders had better start practicing riding upside down…

Sam

That is awesome! I will have to train up as many unicyclists as I can between now and then so we can put up a good fight against the world. As a nation we haven’t been practising many of the events- our yearly Unicycle weekends have not seen many races for a while. What are the rules for racing at Unicon? What size unicycle and cranks are you allowed? What events will there be? What an awesome opportunity. Thanks Ken!!!

First lot of publicity for the event. Nice photo of NZUNI president Joe taking a jump over Wellington:

Cool!

I will be there!

We need a unicon in South America :smiley:

Bye!

w00t!

Since it was cancelled for Darwin, I’ll be saving my shillings to make it to NZ - can’t wait…

I never realised how much the NZelander had to invest to come to UNICON in Europe :o I tried to check : 2000 Euros at least for air ticket + transport for Unicycle(s) + air ticket for significant other + stay … that’s a budget!!! …
May be I need a client in NZ to justify business expenses :roll_eyes:

how about having a “rent a unicycle” service in Wellington? :stuck_out_tongue: