Unicon XIII street comp on youtube.

I think he was just off his game in general…I saw him totally bail on stuff that i had seen him land flawlessly in the past and he was probly also very tired…It was good though…Wish i could have been there to see it.

From my count he landed 16 tough moves and didn’t land 9 others. Pressure is tough in a comp, impressive none the less!

Looking forward to seeing video of the the other riders?

All the riders were under pressure to do as much good stuff as possible within the three minutes. It was really hot. It’s not like they stepped from an air-conditioned waiting room onto the course at the beginning of their three minutes either. Langenthal was not air-conditioned! Not the barracks, not the dorms, not the expensive hotels, and not the Markethalle. They were warming up and otherwise watching their competitors. They also each did a (very) short preliminary round to decide the group of finalists.

Before this, the largest Street competition ever held might have been the one in Lloyd Johnson’s driveway at MUni Weekend 2004. In other words, this event was unprecedented, with a huge crowd of riders from the most countries ever assembled at a Unicon, and the biggest group of talent ever assembled for a Street competition. Only after doing it and looking back can the riders begin to tweak their performances. I’m sure they learned a lot and we’ll see adjustments next time.

How many street competitors were there?

I’ve still only seen video/pictures of only a couple riders in the street comp…

I don’t have the numbers, but I think there were more than 20 entries in the prelim. round, and eight or more in the finals. I think we had 10 competitors at MUni Weekend 2004.

As for talent, of course all the top Street riders were not there (though your picture was, on the side of the Qu-ax van). Just a big field with tons of talent that were all in the same place at the same time.

Anybody got the actual numbers?

Hey, that sounds like funny talk!

There were actually over 30 riders entered for prelims, and 14 had final runs I believe.

Kevin

ya,

As for Forrest, me, and jon (gordythegon) know, 3 minutes is ALOT longer then you would think. I wasnt really feeling rushed (Im used to skateboarding in competitions) when i did my street comp run at NAUCC but I was pretty tired at the end (very humid and hot there). I felll on that stupid back crank flip 3 times… Oh well. I was too concerned about winning there (there were only 4 competitors), but it was alot of fun.

If anyone does have videos of the other street runs please post them for those of us who couldnt make it to the event.

I dont think its fair to say xav was off form because as heaps of people have already said, its totally different when its 40 degrees and there is a crowd watching you, expecting you to do a great job.

I think xav did an amazing job at landing all the tricks he did. The idea of street is consistancy and he has it! i know there are other people who can do some of the stuff he can do but can they do it first time under pressure? I think not.

Cheers,
Max

What? I was on the Qu-Ax van?

Hmm, I didn’t know they had a prelim and finals with street.

The prelims were 30 second runs. Then the judges decided who they wanted to see in the finals. That was 14 riders. Complete results from the finals are here: http://www.unicon13.ch/uni/cms/upload/results/RL-Street.pdf

—Nathan

Man that video was crazy :astonished:
That guy is AWESOME!

That was mad crazy!!

question: Is it possible to download this vid for viewing later?

i copy the video link, paste it into an email message addressed to myself, and send it. so i have a folder of emails all from myself labled uni. i have my own unicycling video archive right on hotmail! works great.

The other competitors

Hi,

As I announced earlier in this thread i published the vids i had from this event:

This thread made me accelerate the editing process :smiley:

Manuel

I think what someone said waaay ahead was quite true. I’ve always thought of him as some sort of Street God but it’s nice to know that bloopers happen even to immortals.

Definitely inspiring.