Unicon article

Here is a fairly good story that was published during Unicon 11. My son
Simon is quoted in it, saying “…even a mother can unicycle.”

Jody

http://www.tribnet.com/news/local/story/1510587p-1628057c.html

v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Scott, Jody, Vjera, Luke, Hope, Thad, and Simon Arnold:
The local unicycling family in Springfield, Oregon.
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

Cool article. Thanks for the reference, Jody.

Jody,

Mary and I loved Simon’s statement…didn’t we Mary…hint, hint

Nice article. It makes UNICON sound like it was fun for everyone.

I loved this quote from the article:
“In a matter of months, Brad, Ben and their parents, Bruce and Mary, were ordering more sea-foam green unicycles off the Internet and organizing a 35-member unicycle club for the flat farm town of Rochelle.”

I immediately got a mental picture of Bruce demanding sea-foam green Miyata unicycles. No other color would do. They must be sea-foam green. All unicyclists love sea-foam green.

The first person who paints their custom Wyganowski freestyle frame Miyata green and then puts on a Miyata green saddle will get my respect for their devotion to the Miyata heritage.

A couple of nit-picks:

No-one went plummeting down Mount Si on unicycles. We went down Snoqualmie Summit, Tiger Mountain, Rat Pac Ridge, and an unnamed ridge on a secret trail. But no-one went down Mount Si.

I think Zach held the world record in the long jump for a short while, but I believe one of the Puerto Rican’s bettered his distance later on. Does anyone have the final results for the long jump to check who had the winning distance?

john_childs

Re: Unicon article

“john_childs” <john_childs.8y3dm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:john_childs.8y3dm@timelimit.unicyclist.com
> I immediately got a mental picture of Bruce demanding sea-foam green
> Miyata unicycles. No other color would do. They must be sea-foam
> green. All unicyclists love sea-foam green.
>
> The first person who paints their custom Wyganowski freestyle frame
> Miyata green and then puts on a Miyata green saddle will get my respect
> for their devotion to the Miyata heritage.

I had a 29" with puke green miyata saddle and matching puke green cross
tyre, but the tyre has been relagated to spare tyre status now
unfortunately, so it doesn’t all match up any more. I was thinking of
getting the unicycle painted in a matching green colour too.

Joe

Kathleen Merryman was trying to determine in what colors were unicycles available. Just so happened that all saddles in the ring of kids around Mrs. Merryman were green Miyatas and the saddle seemed to be the prominent color other than chrome. At least she included the term “sea foam” instead of “sea sick green” offered by one of the kids. Mrs. Merryman was super! She spent about an hour with the kids listening, writing, discussing, and looking around the track all at the same time. I thought it amazing that she got any facts straight at all but she did a tremendous job.

The Puerto Rican long jumper did better Zach’s record by two centimeters. I was standing at the long jump pit when it happened. Zach’s was 2.43 m and I believe the Puerto Rican jumper landed one at 2.45 m.

Hope I have those facts straight.

Bruce

If Mount Si is the mountain behind North Bend Elementary, I think plummeting would have been all would have done.

http://unicycle.to/nbrazzi/pageunicongeneral/pages/elementary_jpg.htm

Above those clouds, this mountain looks downright vicious.

Jody,
Thank you for the link to this article. I enjoyed it immensly!!
Alan T.

That is indeed Mount Si. We lost the mountain in the clouds for a day, but it came back. It was really weird looking across North Bend and not being able to see Mount Si because it was hidden by clouds.