Uni to work (sort of)

Today I made my first attempt to uni commute.
Most days I bicycle the 15 hilly miles each way to work. Because of my low uni skill level, I made it multi modal today. 1.5 miles to a bus stop. Bus for 13 miles, another half mile of uni to the office. This on a 24" Savage. Brutal. My goal is to do the entire 15 miles on my 36er. But first, I need to learn to free mount that monster.
Anybody else out there uni-commuting?

elares
Los Angeles

I cycle to work quite often on my coker but then I only live 0.8 miles (according to my bike computer) away and only have to go up 1 hill. Good luck with the full 15.

I work at home and go for unicycle rides when I am weary of working, does that count?

I would love to uni to work but at the moment live 36 miles away so it will have to wait until I live closer to work.

I’ve done it a couple of times. About 3.5 miles each way. It’s quite an easy bicycle ride so I tend to just do that

I keep thinking of doing it. :roll_eyes: I live 7 miles from work and I’ve definitely got my range up there. I’ve been riding my 29er 5 to 7 miles every day after work. It takes me about an hour to ride 7. I just like my sleep too much. I don’t want to have to get up an hour earlier.

My cycle mode changes daily, but I can and do use either a bike, 29er, or 24" freestyle for my 5km commute. The bike takes about 15 minutes, the 29er 20-25, the 24" 25-30.

I’ve taken up uniing to my music school instead of biking. It feels nicer. It’s about one kilometer away.

ive done my paper round on my 20 b4 lol.

That to work, in work and home from work. that count lol:D

I ride a 1/2 mile to school everyday.

i ride 2 1/2 miles to school every so often.

I ride about 2 Kilometers to school nearly every day.

Well, assuming you come home afterwards, I guess technically you’re riding to work :slight_smile: The fact that the net distance travelled is zero doesn’t matter!

Re: Uni to work (sort of)

“elares” wrote in message …
>
> Today I made my first attempt to uni commute.
> Most days I bicycle the 15 hilly miles each way to work. Because of
my
> low uni skill level, I made it multi modal today. 1.5 miles to a bus
> stop. Bus for 13 miles, another half mile of uni to the office. This
> on a 24" Savage. Brutal. My goal is to do the entire 15 miles on my
> 36er. But first, I need to learn to free mount that monster.
> Anybody else out there uni-commuting?

When I started working in London 16 months ago I had to take the train
there and back each day. Once a week I would ride my 20" to the station
(1.5 miles-ish), and do another couple of miles at the other end. I
would have to wait until another day to do the reverse trip.

After I while, I was riding this each way a couple of times a week.

Then I got lodgings in London, 8 miles from where I work. So I would
get the underground in to the half-way point, and ride 4 miles in, and
the following day 4 miles back again. Gradually this increased to the 4
miles each way every day. I did the whole 8 miles a couple of times,
but on a 20" wheel it was a real killer!

Then I moved up to a 26" and I started riding further.

Then moved to a 29" and these days I cover 16 miles a day without
batting an eyelid.

The secret is to increase gradually. Rather than get off at the bus
stop that you did today, get off at the one before it a couple of times
next week. Or, if you’re pushed for time, take the short and easy ride
in in the morning, but in the evening aim for the next bus stop, or the
one after that.

If your bus tickets are based on distance or zones, then that can help
motivate you to get off earlier, or to get on later. You will see a
financial reward for the extra mile or so which can be a big incentive!

STM - 80 mile a week average commuting

I commute to work on a 36er, but it’s only about 1-1.5 miles. I usually go for some riding to blow of steam during the day, which makes this distance somewhat longer. I’ve never ridden 15 miles on a regular basis - although I kinda wish that I could get round to doing that!

I commute every day on my MTB.
It’s a 20 mile round trip.
I’ve done it once on my uni. My 24" Nimbus.
What a day that was.
It took me about 5 hours (it was my day off so I wasn’t in a rush) and I wasn’t wearing any cycling gear. Just boxers and combats.
Chaffing? You wouldn’t believe it.
Now I’m a bit older and wiser, I’d love to try it on a coker.

about once every 2 weeks i ride the 10km (6.5 miles?) to school on my 24

I uni-commute to work almost every day. it’s a hilly 2.5 miles (just over 4k).
the fastest times are
8min by car
10min by mtb (5min home once!)
15min by 29er uni

Right now, there is construction on the road I ride, I can keep pace with cars for 4 blocks uphill!

I unicycle to work quite regularly, 9 miles each way cross-country (or 10 miles serious muni if I’m feeling mad). The xc route is mostly on an old railway line, so a fairly gentle downhill all the way there and uphill all the way back (apart from a couple of short steep bits). When I first did it it took me 1 1/2 hours, but now I can do it there in 55 minutes and back in 1h 10m. Still much slower than a bike though (takes me 20m to get there on my road bike, but it’s slightly shorter by road, about 7 1/2 miles).

Rob

I don’t ride to work, (because it’s over 20 miles each way), but I do take one of my unis to work every day.

I drive a truck and have a very irregular schedule which often results in my sitting for an hour or two someplace waiting for an unloading time. If the weather’s not too bad I jump on the uni and ride around.

Today the weather was in the upper 30s F, windy, with slight snow flurries: perfect for a ride around a giant shopping center parking lot. I didn’t have a whole lot of time so I guess I did a mile or mile and a half. Felt much better after that. :slight_smile: