Uni movie idea...

Well DUH! GUYS! dont you get it?!?!! Zack knows what freestyle really is, we dont, so lets all step aside and listen to zack, hes allways right.

oh, I guess I don’t know what freestyle looks like, because you said so. care to explain this secret knowledge that nobody else has yet discovered but you have somehow found the truth?

crankflip down it

well i know irene is on here sometimes(every once in a while?), and from what i hear, she’s pretty awesome) :smiley:

Here it is! Gosh, I rode TERRIBLY in that vid…trust me, if I actually practiced those tricks I would do WAY better (duh). It’s the last one:

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Freestyle-Movies

not half bad… 'cept for the soundtrack q-: I thought you did very well at the one footed wheelwalking with the foot off the frame, far better than I’ve ever been able to do anyway… but I rarely practice it, so. nice job!

I liked the vid and the soundtrack was hilarious (much love to William Hung). The gliding was impressive, I’ve just started practising it myself, and I’m impressed!

I think Zack’s right, freestyle’s not all about the tricks, it’s about the arrogant and supercilious manner aswell. Also, it’s obvious that nobody in this forum doesn’t know what a double negative is.

your right zack that there arent many “freestyle” riders on this forum, because freestyle is half artistic interpretation and half skill.

i wonder why there arent, maybe because most people cant be arsed with the artistic bit, and fair enough. i for one cant be bothered to structure a routine and spend my life getting each trick increadibly smooth, i just enjoy my few hours a week at my club slowly getting better and enjoying landing tricks.

i know what real freestyle looks like and most people on this forum do, they just choose to do it there own way. and i think your a looser for being so arrogant,

iain

thats all BS, who sets the rules?

I went for a Coker ride today and missed this thread. My suggested skill (they’re skills not tricks) would have been:
Hold a spin for as long as you can. Then do it again and make sure you’re dizzy. For the last spin make sure you exit cleanly and in control then immediately try riding in a perfectly straight line.

You’ll have to save that one for your next movie. :slight_smile:

wow your alot better than me… haha that was a pretty piroette you had there…

Chase

what rules? i didnt mention anything about rules, i assume you were talking to me by the way.

it just annoyed me how rude he was thats all,

iain

how come there not tricks? i think that term can be used pretty interchangably with skills.

i feel like im being an arse in this thread sorry ( thred-jacking and all) , i havnt watched the video because somehtings wrong with my comp and it crashes when i try to watch any videos, otherwise id have something relevant to say, cool idea though,

iain

I think that a trick is a single move or set of moves that can be done to completion, i.e. a unispin whereas a skill is just a different way of moving along i.e. ww, 1ft, gliding. By this definition a spin would be a trick rather than a skill, so John Childs presumably has some other definition, which i’d be interested to hear.

I think that John just doesn’t like the term ‘trick’ because it makes what we do sound like a joke (: and skill sounds more professional q-:

Thats what I was thinking. I skill makes it sound to…formal.

Stop doing smilies backwards james, your driving me crazy! :-p

Nonsense. Lots of the really good freestylers read/post here sometimes, and many of us who aren’t really good (yet) still know what proper freestyle looks like.

Right. A lot of it is style. However, before you can freestyle with a lot of style, you need to spend a lot of time practicing simply doing tricks, because otherwise your routine would be boring. I’d rather see a routine with lots of different hard tricks and not quite as much style, than just riding around very gracefully.

I wasnt putting any body down or anytyhing DAMN! I was just saying, In my opinion the only people who can do good artstic freestyle are the japanese. look at any unicon video,the japanese are so good. its not all about the tricks!

That’s pretty much it. Besides, if they were tricks we’d be working on the 10 trick levels instead of the 10 skill levels. :slight_smile:

Look up trick in the dictionary. Not much there that is flattering. The best definition is:
“A difficult, dexterous, or clever act designed to amuse.”
So a trick is something designed to amuse.

Now look up skill in the dictionary. Ah, much better.
“Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.”

When I go out and practice I’m working on developing or improving skills. I’m not working on an act to amuse.