uni help

Ok, it’s harder than it looks.
I have to admit that you guys have inspired me to learn how to ride a unicycle, so as soon as I found one I bought it. So for I have managed to go about 10 feet. Sweating profusely…legs swelled and feeling like I just ran 20 miles and my pride broken into a million pieces not to mention that the walls at my shop now look like some one’s been having a burn out contest on them.
Now with the first day behind me and the realization that it isn’t going to be easy. I would like some advice. Any takers?

thanks, jmyers

Hey! Welcome! Yeah, I also had a bunch of trouble when starting, it took me about 2 weeks of practice before I could ride more than 20 feet. And I sure would get tired after trying, but I kept at it. During my third week I was able to ride more than a mile. Guess I’m a slow learner. Just make sure to keep all your weight on the seat, sit straight up, and look straight ahead. Keep at it.

keep practicing and remember to sit on the seat

sounds easy but its the #1 problem for new riders in my mind

practice as much as you can. the farther you go the better you feel and once you can ride for miles you will feel great for what you acomplished! the swelling goes away eventualy.

the main thing you must relize is to sit strait up that is they key perfect posture…

POW

Welcome!

I think the best analogy for learning to ride (which I’m borrowing from somebody else on these fora) is that of a child learning to walk. You get up, take a step, fall. Get up, two steps fall. Repeat. Pretty soon–before you know it really–you’ve got it down.

Be persistant, don’t get discouraged, keep your weight on the seat, and it will come. There are other techniques you can try and other things to keep in mind, but the main thing is just staying at it. I think from past forum discussions, it seems like the average amount of practice time it takes someone to really get up and riding with some level of control is 10-15 hours. Some get it faster, some slower. For me, it was about 15 I think. A half hour of practice a day for a couple of weeks.

You already took care of the one key ingredient to learning to ride: having your own unicycle to play with.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.

TB

going backwards

I am ok at riding my unicycle but now I really want to learn to ride bacwards!!! Do any of you have any advice? I can idle a little but still just cannot go backwards? What should I do??? Help me please! SOS

Re: uni help

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:42:32 -0600, “jmyers” wrote:

>I would like some advice. Any takers?

Hi Jeff, kudos to you for deciding to pick up unicycling!

From my page <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm> you
can download a Word document “Learning to unicycle” (by Andrew Carter
and myself) which will teach you some of the basics.

Being able to go 10 ft after just one day is really good progress! The
burnt out feeling in your legs is normal for a beginner. Making a
conscious attempt to have your weight on the seat as opposed to on the
pedals should help. And more practice helps too! They say the three
things that help you most in learning to ride a unicycle are practice,
practice and practice.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

im new too mate i am gettin better evry day still cant go for very long bout 40ft but i have only had my uni for about a week all there is to it is practice practice practice

i been practicisin free mountin too but im rubbish lol will get better soon tho lol

Two things to add to the advice above:

1. Make sure your unicycle is not junk. It’s unlikely, but possible, that you got your hands on an el-cheapo department store unicycle. The worst of these have solid plastic tires and such. If you have an air tire that’s a good sign. If you have real pedals (screwed into the crank arms), that’s another. If you have both of those you’re probably fine.

2. Make sure your seat is the right height. Learning with the seat too low makes it a lot harder, and is harder on your knees. Your legs should extend most of the way when the pedals is at the bottom. This means the seat should be quite a bit higher than your crotch when you stand next to the unicycle.

Have fun! 10’ in the first day is not bad at all; much better than I did!