Uni Geezer: 36er Mounting tutorial

As per Wobbling Bear’s request, I videotaped three basic cloker mounts: Static, Jump & Rolling, in real time & slo-mo. Hope this helps Wobbling Bear and whoever else might need help with big wheel mounts.:smiley:

Weird but I never really noticed that [even though] I hop/hold onto the front handle with my left hand, I mount with my right hand on the handle, then switch to my left…hmmm. Whatever works I guess!:stuck_out_tongue:

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRW7ePkZ_8E

come on WB! You can do it, you just don’t want to :smiley:

Thanks for the video

I did the static mount like you showed, a few times correctly on my 24 this afternoon, inspired by your vid. I had been doing it in a way where I pedaled reverse a half turn first. Once I get it real solid, I will armor up, gather a volunteer ambulance crew of half drunk friends, and try it on the 36. I am assuming the first mount you showed was the easy way. You make them all look easy !
Anyway, thanks for the vid. The slow mo stuff is a real help.:slight_smile:

I’m happy that it helped you! Actually though, I think that the “rolling” mount is the easiest since you’re already moving forward by the time you mount, that it’s easier to get going.:smiley:

I’d agree…for me, the version #3 rolling mount is easiest. I like to keep my seat pretty high, and have trouble doing the version #1 static mount unless I’m on at least a bit of a downhill.

But if I’m on a long endurance ride like the MS Bike Tour, I’ll generally use a pole or fence-assisted mount whenever there is one available. This serves two purposes. First, it uses up a lot less energy, which can make a difference over the course of 50 + miles. Second, it let’s me get everything just perfect–foot placement, jewels placement, etc.–before I start pedaling away.

Yeah I find that sometimes after one of those types of mounts I have to SWP (stand while pedalling:p) in order to make “adjustments”.:smiley:

this I do when I am too tired (freemounting burns a lot of energy)
but funnily I often find that I am better positionned when doing a dynamic mount.
this said:

• thanks a lot MuniAddict (now I have to train hard)
  • I noticed the hands thing …

btw I find the jump mount and rolling mount performed with a brisk movement (which is bad when I have bout of orthostatic problems).
now the real hard part is to switch my brain off: this week-end I tried
a slightly long (35km) ride with 29er and though the weather was fine
(that is: raining) I kept UPD-ing for almost no reason whatsoever all along the ride … I need vacations and a brainwash :o
(proof: my riding greatly improved after sitting down at a bar and gulping down some lagers :smiley: just one U.P.D. for the next 10km)

I often find that a little brain lubrication works wonders.

One must, however, exercise great caution and discretion. I once got stinking drunk and thought, ‘heck, I can still ride this thing.’ After careening half the way home I realized that I was still holding my helmet in my hand.:o

MA; thanks for the vid. You do make it look easy. I’ve found that the rolling mount is the easiest to do on the 36er. I prefer a static on my 24 or 29 though.

Hmmm, sounds like the rolling mount is the way to go

I wonder if I can learn that first on the 24 ?, or is the small light wheel to low inertia to do that? I really should change my name to unichicken ! :astonished: If there is an easier safer way to learn I am determined to try and find it. One of the things I really liked about riding the 36 was how securely slow and close to the ground it makes me feel when I switch back to the 24.

Use Caution!!

Mounting a 36er can be quite hazardous…to your riding partners. I had no idea that my right arm was spring loaded until I smacked my friend Charles right in the mouth.

I mount with left hand on seat and don’t switch.

Charles and I had both just UPD’d. He was behind me and remounted first. I was mounting jsut as he passed closely on my right. POW! In the midst of my mount, about the time I’m settling the seat home, my right arm shoots violently out beside me something like a frog’s toungue zapping a bug, or a karate master busting a lip.

I busted his lip.

Now I check my blind spot before climbing on board.

Rolling mounts work on the smaller wheel. Thats how I learned how to freemount on all my unis at first is to do them rolling. Once I got more into trials, and started to mount on poles, rocks, ect, I learned the static mount.

I still do rolling mounts on both 20" and 36" uni, cause I can just go from walking down my stairs or across the street straight into a mount, and just start riding in one fluid motion.

I saw you vid a day before I got my 36". And I managed to mount it on my second try:p

EDIT: The way I do the static mount: put the right pedal back and place my right foot on it. I hold the tire with my left hand (use the right for balance), push away from the ground with my left leg , put it on the left pedal and do a quick stillstand until I’m ready to pedal. Works every 2/3 tries

Nice. That sounds like a good way too! And congrats on joining the 36er ranks!:smiley:

Thanks.
Coker-ers are so friendly:)

Unlike a lot (not all of course) of skateboard people haha! :sunglasses:

Videos

Those videos are very helpful.

I have no problem free mounting my 28" road uni but I had no luck trying to mount a 29" muni last weekend. The thicker tires and extra inch were just too much for me to climb. I have contemplated getting a Coker but my efforts on the muni were a little discouraging. Studying your videos (especially the first one) at least gives me some idea of how to go about it.

Thanks!

And dogs…And neighbors saying you’re good enough for circus

Haha yeah that’s lame! But those 2 dogs that followed me in my “coker muni” vid were cool! They stopped when I stopped, then followed me as I started again! I have had some dogs try to nip at me while I’m riding the trails, and their owners are slow to restrain them so that sucks sometimes.

If it helps any this is how I managed to mount the 36" Nimbus.

1. Grab the seat by the handle with my right hand.
  2. Put the right pedal at the 6 o’clock position.
  3. Push the wheel until the pedal starts comming up to the 7 o’clock position and jump at the right pedal and up to the seat.
  4. Put your left foot on the pedal and start pedaling away.

Note: I would love to be able to do the rolling mount since it looks like you will spend less energy. However, can’t get the coordination right.

Don’t get discouraged by the size of the 36" wheel. It’s funny but because the wheel is heavier it does not roll back and I kind of feel that it’s even easier than my 26" which I now can mount pretty much 100%. I am only at 1 out of 10 tries on the 36" but I feel that soon it will be a lot easier than the 26" specially if I can nail the roll mount. Right now I am doing a modified static mount.