uni "figureskating" or "freestyle"?

sounds good

I think I may have insulted some muni/trialist unicyclists(unintentionally of course.) I didn’t mean to downplay the skill difficulty, and in my opinion, the extreme amounts of courage required to tackle some of the more difficult trails and trials. I think I thought that those freestylers would be great at muni, because of their insane balance and control, but now, after reading your posts, I realize that a muni rider would be able to use his skills to learn to one foot, wheel walk, glide, etc. I guess I learned that the more you practice, the better you become at everything, but maybe better in some areas than others. So I apologize if I downplayed the level of difficulty involved in muni, and trials. I went on my 4/5 muni ride today, and some trails can be very intimidating.

Thanks for your replies!

Re: sounds good

No insult intended, no offence taken, by any of us, I’m sure.

In fact it was (and is) a valid and interesting question that you asked.

I’d summarise my views as this: a professional or very keen amateur freestyler would be able to ride with a precision unknown to most or all muniists (and possibly trialsists). The freestyler would be able to repeat a move precisely time after time.

However, the MUniist has something that the freestyler might lack: the ability to react quickly and creatively to the unexpected. When you ride through tall grass on broken ground, or through deep slimy mud, you can only predict the type of balance challenge you will meet, but not the extent or direction of that challenge.

Trialsists probably “fall” in between, in that I guess many of them perform and perfect the same move many many times on the local trials area, but they constantly push the limits of what they can achieve, rather than simply polishing what they can already do. Of course, I know sod all about trials, so I could be wrong.

Of the three, perhaps freestyle would be the only one deserving of the label, ‘discipline’, whereas perhaps the other two are ‘styles’ or something.