uni everesting?

The discussions remind me of a great little video:
Unicycle vs. Bikes on Fargo Street :roll_eyes:

Wow! That’s insane!

I don’t know who is right about who is supposed to win between bicyclists an unicyclists on uphills, I supposed the most experimented are right, but what I see in this video is a unicyclist (one of the bests indeed) who passes in straight line a full equipped bicyclist who struggles with large turn and spinning at a ridiculously low gear , and other bicyclists that fail to follow the rythme of Ben.

Here, in this video, the so called superiority of bikes is far from being obvious, isn’t it?
:smiley:

Edit: by the way I have some M&M’s and Popcorn to sell, someone interested? :wink:

Those appear to be rules for bikes - I reckon if anybody wanted to try on a unicycle they could make up their own rules. It’s still going to be way, way harder than doing it on a bike.

The superiority of the other people riding bikes in that video is certainly far from obvious :wink:

I guess Ben could go better on the bike than the ones you see on the video.

The Strava KOM on Fargo Street is 39 seconds, which is about half the time of Ben’s unicycle climb. (Ben’s is on Strava at 1:15, 58th overall).

There are a total of 241 entries on Strava, so he’s in the top quartile of everyone who’s recorded themselves on the hill. Presumably almost all of the others were on bikes, so that’s pretty impressive. But equally presumably, very few of the others were as strong as Ben.

No matter what we’ve said. Ben Soja did it yesterday: https://www.strava.com/activities/1445153618
And for fb enabled ones his summary: https://www.facebook.com/ben.vanmuni/posts/2025268591018246

Interesting setup - a 650b Schlumpf with a wide smooth tyre. He did mention it’s sensitive to camber (The bigger Schwalbe balloon tyres are known for this) so I wonder if the 2" version would fare better?

That being said, if you’re everesting, equipment is a tiny thing compared to the human pedalling in terms of importance, so I’m sure dropping a quarter inch off his tyre size would probably not do much.

I wonder how his ride compares to bicyclists time-wise? There are some that are pretty damn long but then there are some that are between 12 and 15 hours, so obviously it varies, but I’m curious to know if there’s a rough average the bicyclists tend to aim for.

Wow, that’s an incredibly awesome achievement - I have to admit I didn’t think it could be done in 24 hours on a uni.

Don’t rate sth. as impossible before Ben has not failed to do it :wink:

The Rennsteig (168km, 1600m up, 1400m down) was also just a daytour for him rigt the day after he won the Erfurt marathon.

That’s very impressive, but shows just how much harder Everesting is. The Rennsteig is a huge ride, probably among the top 100, maybe top 20 rides ever done on a unicycle. The Everesting ride was just as long, and had an additional 7400m of climbing.

Rennsteig is offroad and as I remember Ben’s story it was really rough in some places.
But anyway Everesting seems far harder.

The conditioning of the riding disciplines would affect climbing ability.

A dedicated unicyclist should develop overall stronger legs and body than a bicycle rider. The unicyclist does not coast and is constantly working his body making corrections to stay balanced.

The conventional bicycle might be more efficient according to the physics input, but the unicyclist would be able to pedal much harder. Holding onto the seat as done by unicyclists to transmit more force affects the equation and if it was considered, I missed it. As far as I know, this is not done by any cyclists.

I have seen Ben’s climbing video, he’s going straight up, the cyclists present are not doing it, and might not be physically capable of it. I have also seen videos of Unigeezer riding up steep trails where mountain bikers got off and pushed their bikes. I have also heard of Kris Holm and other advanced Muni riders riding up steep trails that top mountain bikers were unable to do due to possessing much less leg strength.

Cyclists that switch from multi geared to single speeds or fixies seem to be reporting large boosts in their leg strength and fitness.

Are there any fitness and strength tests or studies out there comparing unicyclists to cyclists?

You’re comparing top unicyclists to weekend warrior bicyclists. Of course people who train all the time are stronger than people who don’t.

Sure. Strava. The Strava record on Fargo Street is about a minute faster than Ben’s climb. On Mount Diablo it’s about 30 minutes faster; I’m sure the same is true for Whiteface and other competitive climbs.

Ben is now in the Everesting Hall of Fame with his time of 23H 03 M. Hall of fame | Everesting. A recent fast posted time of similar distance on bike was completed in 8H 30M.

Could Ben do it on bike in 8H 30M? Well, probably not today. Possibly if he trained for it; he’s a great athlete.

congratulations Ben!!!

wanna try yourself?

https://www.ursli.li/elsbet/everesting-elsbet/