Uni-Century on my 29er (ungeared)

This forum is one of the reasons I’ve been grabbed by the unicycling bug. It seems that just about everyone who takes the time to learn to be a proficient rider of a unicycle has a positive, enthusiastic, can-do attitude to life. You Joe have that in spades, you’re like a breath of fresh air - an inspiration.

I’ll chip in and say that I did a century on a 29er before I ever had a 36. It went fine, just a bit of a long day (maybe 18 hours door to door, I don’t remember the detail).

I used 125mm cranks (hadn’t got any smaller by that stage). Not the best option; smaller is easier - try at least 100mm if not 89mm.

If you’ve got a 36 then it is a bit masochistic to do road riding on a 29, but the same argument could be made for having a bike and still using a unicycle at all! Go for it if you want to :slight_smile:

Sam

This from one of the lucky few riding KH36 outfitted with a Schlumpf hub :roll_eyes:

“Even”? haha. :stuck_out_tongue: :roll_eyes:

I’d like to see some folks do a true single-track century ride someday along the lines of the abundant trail 100 mile foot races being held all over the country. On this kind of terrain a 36er and even 29er would most likely be suboptimal. From my experience riding this type of terrain I can totally conceive of covering 100 miles on single-track fully within the time frame / cutoffs of a typical trail 100 mile foot race as long as it’s supported i.e. aid stations every 5-10 miles. This I think is the next level in long distance trail unicycling; covering the types of terrain and distance that mtbers do but with the time frame and support of a 100 mile trail footrace (since the average pace would be about the same). I for one am willing to give it a shot. I come from an ultramarathoning back ground so applying to off road unicycling seems like a logical next step for me.

Most of my century rides were not on a KH 36 Schlumpf. My first distance unicycling was all done on a Sun 28. I switched to a UDC Big One 36
two weeks before a back to back centuries required more speed or I would be getting little or no sleep. Now the 28 gets used mostly as a loaner.

Many thanks to Kris Holm who loaned me his personal Schlumpf hub and wheel or I would have been non-geared again for me second attempt at the STP in one day. I only had eight miles on it before my 200+ mile STP event in 24 hours.

I have been watching for a trail century route near me to do. Soon I might try one.

Joe

just wondering who has done the most centuries.