Uni at 5 report - day 2

Greetings!

Here’s a not so typical day in the life of a five year old (grin).

All I can say is that my son is a really driven individual. He practiced for 2.5 hours yesterday and he watched the, “Introduction to Unicycling” video twice! He really concentrates and is not just going through the motions. So far no injuries. Total time in the saddle 3.5 hours.

Here’s how the day went:

I came home for lunch and he wanted to practice, so I spent my lunch on the deck watching him for an hour. He practiced again for an hour after I came home from work. Then my daughter and I went riding for an hour or so and when we came home he insisted (yes insisted) on practicing again!! I made him stop after 1/2 an hour because I don’t want him to burn out and it was getting late.

Here is where he stands so far:

a) He can mount by himself using the deck railing
b) He knows where the safety position is
c) He knows to practice pedaling from safety position to safety position
d) He can turn around on the deck
e) He can let go of the railing during his half rev (very cool)
f) He can ride with spotters (awkwardly most of the time)

I cannot tell you how wonderful this is. My wife and I are not pushy parents and I have been extremely laid back and low key about this. I’ve learned over the years that being pushy with our kids only backfires (note: exercising parental restraint can be difficult, my wife is better at it than me).

He learned the safety position and half rev technique from watching the video (Jeffrey’s his new pal). :slight_smile: Yesterday while he was practicing he was saying, “safety position-(pedal)-safety position-(pedal)…”. At one point I thought I saw him go a full revolution unaided by the railing- I’m not quite sure as it caught me a bit off guard. But afterwards he started shouting- “Papa did you see that, did you see that!” So I think he actually had a zen moment. How cool is that!?

I’ll let you know how it goes today. If he does well on the deck railing, we’re going to take him to the track on Saturday for some long rides with spotters.

Think happy thoughts for him! :smiley:

P.S.

One note on his size: My son is five and small for his age. He has to wear thick soled shoes to ride a 16" Unicycle with the saddle all the way down. He tried some different shoes yesterday and couldn’t quite reach the pedal on the down stroke.

Re: Uni at 5 report - day 2

[sp]

“…I said pick yourself up BOY! You’re not a real cyclist until you’ve felt cleat hit bone! Now wipe that blood off, get on your wheel, and ride, RIDE I SAY!”

[/sp]

-C-

[sp]Real-ly though- I enjoy the updates. You should get him on video so that he can watch this part of his developement later- this stuff’s gold man, pure gold. I can’t wait for Sophie to loose the extra wheels- if her mother would let her, she’d be trying now. I suppose I should let her get to at least 3, neh? (At 14 months I was training Sophie to walk on a large ball… until she tried it in front of her mother when I wasn’t around- now I have to wait for her to become emancipated. Maybe I can sneek in a tight rope or balance beem desgised as a flower border…humm…)[/sp]

-Christopher

Age 5 and he knows the saftey position that’s truly amazing! Im 19 and I have no idea what that is… Maybe that’s why I have broken so many bones over the years (9 total, none from the Uni, 1 sprained ankle from the 6 foot uni). Maybe I should learn this someday… ehh how about next week

Chex

Checkernuts wrote:
>
> Age 5 and he knows the saftey position that’s truly amazing! Im 19 and I
> have no idea what that is… Maybe that’s why I have broken so many
> bones over the years (9 total, none from the Uni, 1 sprained ankle from
> the 6 foot uni). Maybe I should learn this someday… ehh how about next
> week

>9 total
Aha, the classic type A. :smiley:

Re> safety position

It’s from the, Intro to Unicycling Vid. It’s when the pedals are even to
each other and both cranks are parallel to the ground.

Hmm I’m not sure about this saftey position thing… When the pedals are parallel to the ground is probably when I fall hard or get a pedal into the shin the most… Ohh I guess trail riding this saftey postion no longer applies :stuck_out_tongue: Hopping over things can hurt
Chex

And what is a type A?? I’m not sure if I should be offended or thank you for the complement? I have yet to break something in the same way I have done before too… Its always something new and exciting.

Checkernuts wrote:

>
> And what is a type A?? I’m not sure if I should be offended or thank you
> for the complement?

It’s a complement. Type A personalities are the fearless, hard core,
launch into the abyss go getter types. Verses say a type C- the no risk,
stay home and watch T.V. types.

Cheers!

Jason